Unable to play video with .ass subtitles

psxlover

psxlover

Hallo,

does anyone else have issues with videos that have .ass subtitles?

I updated from 1.0.70 to 1.0.73, and now when I start a video with .ass subtitles in the Samsung Emby App, I get the loading spinning wheel, then a flash of what appears to be the video and immediately another spinning wheel starting. After a couple of minutes I get an error screen:

Playback error

No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or

contact your system administrator for details

It was working fine in 1.0.70 (although I didn't try it the past couple of weeks), and it is also working if I use the TV's browser instead of the application.

Finally if I disable the subtitles (if I choose "Off" for Subtitles in the episode screen) playback works, of course in than case there are no subtitles.

FrostByte

Just watched the latest episode of Picard with ass subtitles and wasn't able to duplicate the problem

Edit: sub file was external in my test

Edited by FrostByte

psxlover

Here is a log with me starting an One Piece episode over the web browser of the TV, and then trying to start it through the Emby App as well.
It seems to be trying to transcode for some reason and failing. I though the ffmpeg processes I noticed where for extracting the subtitle, but it seems that one ffmpeg is spawned every 30s.

Ok it's actually hard to tell which requests are from the app and which is from the browser, but it does look like some kind of error leads to a switch to transcoding. Are these internal or external .ass? If external can you zip them up and provide them for testing? 

FrostByte

That may have you public IP in it

2020-02-13 23:03:40.608 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 85.74.xxx.xx. Time: 2ms. http://X.X.X.X:8096/emby/system/info/public
Edited by Happy2Play
edited ip

psxlover

It's internal subtitle.

The first play is from the web browser. I guess after the playback stopped I exited the browser

2020-02-13 23:05:30.327 Info Trakt: Playback Stopped

I can provide one with just the TV app if that's going to help.

FrostByte

It's internal subtitle.

The first play is from the web browser. I guess after the playback stopped I exited the browser

2020-02-13 23:05:30.327 Info Trakt: Playback Stopped

I can provide one with just the TV app if that's going to help.

You can extract the subtitle if it would help

psxlover

You can extract the subtitle if it would help

You mean to test if it works correctly with an external, or to attach it here for you to test?

FrostByte

You could try and see if it works externally and test that.  If it still fails then post the .ass file and we have a look.  I'm more than willing to try it on my TV too

psxlover

Having it as external does not work either. And I also tried to use it with a video I saw yesterday which was working, but it causes the same issue.

.srt works though

• Like 1

FrostByte

Having it as external does not work either. And I also tried to use it with a video I saw yesterday which was working, but it causes the same issue.

.srt works though

Okay, if you want to upload the ass subtitle for Luke, and I'll throw it in one of my movie folders and report back also

FrostByte

Strange, it works fine for me using the latest version from zip file with lines at the top and the bottom of the screen

FrostByte

I don't recall what model psxlover has, but the logs say he is running Tizen 5.0 = 2019.  I'm running Tizen 4.0 = 2018.  So I believe he has a newer one than me.

psxlover

Yes the TV is a 2019 model

It is happening with multiple videos, I tried playing videos from at least 3 anime series.

Playback starts briefly, for perhaps less than second, then screen turns black with the loading animation playing. As if the application thinks there is an issue, and decides to change stream to transcoding. I attached logs from 1.0.70 and 1.0.74 in case they help.

I also tried playing a video that would require transcoding (an anime in H264 10bit encoding with the subtitles turned off), to check if there was an issue with playing transcoded videos that was already there and I never noticed, and the video plays fine (as fine as it can be when using a server not powerful enough to transcode) on 1.0.74, so there is no issue with transcoding in general.

Another minor issue, completely unrelated with this, is that some buttons don't show up correctly in my TV (see attached images). I'm not sure if it also happens when using the browser of the TV, because that menu is not available when I visit the server over the browser.

The screen I first noticed it on is the one that occasionally pops to say about Emby Premiere. While in that screen we can't scroll but I remember in older versions that there was a timer on the disabled button. Now the button is off screen, and you can't do anything until the time period elapses, on which time I think you have to press down to get to the button after it has been enabled. This would probably lead to people thinking the app has frozen or something.

I first encountered this quite some time ago, it was already there in 1.0.70. I guess nobody reported it before.

embyserver 1.0.70.txt

embyserver 1.0.74.txt

post-36045-0-36840800-1581759783_thumb.jpg

post-36045-0-51040600-1581759852_thumb.jpg

There should be a fix for the ass loading in the next release.  Please let me know if it doesn't resolve it.  Thanks.

• Like 1