Exclude Access to All Playlists ?

Vicpa

Hi,

The lack of user specific playlists really doesn't work well for me and my users. So I thought I would just remove access totally to playlists for certain users. Not my first choice....

So

1) I unchecked the box below.

5e418a793585c_playlistAccess.jpg

That did not seem to fully work :(

After the above change 

5e418be18afe5_restrictedPlaylists.jpg

all the Music Playlists are showing up.

Oddly (or not) the one video/movie (2015 Award winners) playlist is no longer visible.

The one in the library the user does not have access to (Practice) is correctly not shown. Yeah!

The full "list of" playlists.

5e418e0c135eb_myplaylists.jpg

Although related to playlist sharing etc. This is different as I want to exclude this totally, until the playlist thing can be sorted out.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

Happy2Play

If I am following correctly, the access restriction applies to the Global Home Screen Playlist library access.  Removing access only removes the Home Screen Library entry point.

You can access all music playlist via Music-Playlists tab as it is library specific and all users see them.  So in theory "Music-Playlists tab" partially bypasses the restriction of "\Emby-Server\programdata\data\playlists" per user since music is never blocked.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
GrimReaper

As for Video items, any User with no Playlist access in User settings (so no Home Screen Library) can still access it both through any item that is part of a Playlist detail screen as Playlist is listed under "Included in" and Playlists Library tab. That logic should be reworked. 

any User with no Playlist access in User settings (so no Home Screen Library) 

That does not equal no playlist access. That is just taking the playlist folder off the home screen.

GrimReaper
5 hours ago, Luke said:

That does not equal no playlist access. That is just taking the playlist folder off the home screen.

@Luke, if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. If I untick Playlists in any User setting Access tab, where it is listed alongside other libraries and folders and where unticking means no access, yes, I expect it to do exactly that. Not "Hide from Home Screen". Disable access. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo
  • Agree 3

FrostByte

Maybe it could be written more clearly by adding "From Home Screen".  It is a bit confusing 

LibAccess.thumb.jpg.81d88d104f00ad83d95619207b78f10b.jpg

GrimReaper
Just now, FrostByte said:

Maybe it could be written more clearly by adding "From Home Screen".  It is a bit confusing 

It wouldn't be technically correct either, as if you disable any folder which is a part of a Library (common occurence with 4K movies folder being a part of larger movie library), you're restricting access to it, and cannot acces it by any means: not from Home Screen, not from any item Detail screen, not from Collections, nada. Likewise with Libraries, you just can't access them from nowhere. NO access. As this tab really should be, Access control. Not Home Screen adjustment, as there is separate tab for that. Or should be introduced in per user settings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

That is library access and will restrict content access.

GrimReaper

Seriously? That is your comment on all said above? 

I DON'T WANT any user to access, modify, view or delete (or create new, while we're at it) ANY Playlist on my system. Those are not virtual missing episodes creating havoc, those are created by me, record of which is stored in programdata\data\playlists. I DON'T WANT anyone having access to that. Care to explain HOW can I achieve that, as disabling access obviously does not mean no access? 

Edited by GrimReaper

kikinjo
8 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Seriously? That is your comment on all said above? 

I DON'T WANT any user to access, modify, view or delete (or create new, while we're at it) ANY Playlist on my system. Those are not virtual missing episodes creating havoc, those are created by me, record of which is stored in programdata\metadata\playlists. I DON'T WANT anyone having access to that. Care to explain HOW can I achieve that, as disabling access obviously does not mean no access?

Playlist access public / private is something that we are waiting for like 3 years, so chill my friend, or you will loose your nerves very quickly :)

• Like 1

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, kikinjo said:

Playlist access public / private is something that we are waiting for like 3 years, so chill my friend, or you will loose your nerves very quickly :)

That's all fine and dandy, Playlist management public/private/group or whatever, we all know that term "waiting" in Emby ecosystem sometimes takes whole other dimension/meaning. THIS is about access, yes/no switch. It ain't rocket science. Disable access=no access. My English is fairly limited, but not as much. 

IMHO the Access control tab could use a revamping. If a user isn't given access to any component on that page then they have zero access to that content!

Maybe there should be another section between Library Access and Channel Access.  This would be for "virtual libraries".  The following 3 items could be part of that group:
Playlists
Collections
Recording Library

If a user doesn't have the option enabled then they don't every see the library or it's contents just like Movies & TV Show libraries.  It's strictly access control vs arrangement of home screen items.

This way we have
Library Access - true libraries
Virtual Libraries - virtual libraries built off of data for items in real libraries.  Playlists, Collections and DVR Recording library.
Channel Access - The different plugins installed on Emby that provide content.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

If a user isn't given access to any component on that page then they have zero access to that content!

Exactly my point. Thanks. 

• Agree 1

It doesn't work that way right now for the "virtual items" but it should IMHO.

I don't think there is any other way to read that page and come away with different thinking.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

FrostByte

There is already a Hide Collections and Playlist setting under user Home Page settings which I like because I prefer just using the headers for those under the other libraries.

So this is kind of redundant and doesn't function the way  it reads to a lot of people.  What I really need is a way to prevent users from deleting my Playlists from clients which have that button for everyone

• Like 1