Dealing with passwords

Danimontes

Danimontes

Hi,

I have some trouble managing users and passwords. How do I do to assign a password to every external user? Everytime I try, it seems to change admin password instead.

I'm stuck.

Q-Droid

For local, non-Emby Connect users:

Emby Menu -> Manage Emby Server -> Users: Click on each user and "Password" is the rightmost button of that row.

Danimontes

I've done that yet, but I have selected the option of entering without password in LAN. But when I try to login from another network, it keeps sending the "invalid user or incorrect password" message.

For local, non-Emby Connect users:

Emby Menu -> Manage Emby Server -> Users: Click on each user and "Password" is the rightmost button of that row.

Q-Droid

I've done that yet, but I have selected the option of entering without password in LAN. But when I try to login from another network, it keeps sending the "invalid user or incorrect password" message.

You have or have not done that...yet?

LAN is local network. "from another network" is not LAN. Access controls are on a per user basis.

In newer versions of the Emby server you have to at least set an initial password for the users in order to gain remote access. Once you set the password you can also reset it at any time.

Danimontes

Sorry, i'm not english-speaker. I meant "already", not "yet". 

So you're saying I have to focus on each user, go to the righter tab, and enter a new password. 

Then try it from outside the LAN, right?

Edit: I went to the first user and entered the old known password in order to change it. This is the result.

post-572173-0-76293800-1579457357_thumb.jpg

Edited by Danimontes

Q-Droid

Sorry, i'm not english-speaker. I meant "already", not "yet". 

So you're saying I have to focus on each user, go to the righter tab, and enter a new password. 

Then try it from outside the LAN, right?

Correct. Passwords and remote access are managed for each user individually.

And it looks like remote access might still be allowed for users without passwords so make sure that you deliberately set that option to allow or not allow for each user.

Danimontes

Ok. I'm going to delete all users and create them again. And I'll check carefully each and everyone. I'll keep you informed.

Thanks!

Q-Droid

Ok. I'm going to delete all users and create them again. And I'll check carefully each and everyone. I'll keep you informed.

Thanks!

I think I see what's happening. Does user Daniel have admin privilege, "Allow user to manage server"? Do you have another Admin user?

Then remove manage server privilege from Daniel, then you can remove password and create a new password without being prompted for the old one.

Q-Droid

It looks like Emby does not allow one admin user to remove the password of another admin user. The "Remove Password" button is not displayed in this situation.