Hardware Transcoding Setup

VITAS

Hi,

i know there are several topics on hw transcoding allready.

I now have emby on a server with an ryzen 1st gen cpu so no acceleration.

i also have an older mac mini server edition with an i5 (ivy bridge) running linux and 

a desktop system with amd fx something cpu & geforce 680 gtx laying arround

so im thinking:

1.) what would be the best pick from those two as emby server (i could install windows on them but i would prefer linux)

2.) if i would buy a new gpu what are the pros and cons / benchmarks of  AMD rna 1.0 vs NVIDIA turing architecture (and are there models you suggest)?

3.) can emby use multiple hw accelrators for multiple streams simultaniously? (e.g. multiple gpus or intel quickvideo and nvidia?)

4.) do the feature sets of different generations of intel/nvidia/amd gpu/cpu designs make a difference and if so what would be the oldest generation with all the features used by emby?

Thanks for your time

VITAS

Hi,

i know there are several topics on hw transcoding allready.

I now have emby on a server with an ryzen 1st gen cpu so no acceleration.

i also have an older mac mini server edition with an i5 (ivy bridge) running linux and 

a desktop system with amd fx something cpu & geforce 680 gtx laying arround

so im thinking:

1.) what would be the best pick from those two as emby server (i could install windows on them but i would prefer linux)

2.) if i would buy a new gpu what are the pros and cons / benchmarks of  AMD rna 1.0 vs NVIDIA turing architecture (and are there models you suggest)?

3.) can emby use multiple hw accelrators for multiple streams simultaniously? (e.g. multiple gpus or intel quickvideo and nvidia?)

4.) do the feature sets of different generations of intel/nvidia/amd gpu/cpu designs make a difference and if so what would be the oldest generation with all the features used by emby?

Thanks for your time https://mycfavisit.me/ https://tellgamestop.vip/

VITAS

Knowing Intel, though, some SKUs may not be equal, so best to double-check the exact processor model against...well, I can't find a chart anywhere, but Intel's spec sheets should list it. That being said, I have no idea what Apple supports on the OS level nor if Intel's driver would include the necessary libraries.  I'm assuming they do now (at least for decoding), but no idea about older hardware or if encoding is supported. 

I guess you could try running ffmpeg using h264_qsv instead of libx264 to convert a short video clip as a test.  Handbrake may also indicate if it's working (at least on Windows, the codec dropdown on the Video tab will list "H.264 (Intel QSV)" if it's detected).

Edited by Delrio9

Hi,

thank you fopr your reply.

I would run Ubuntu Server LTS 18 or alike not macos on that mac mini. So Linux rules would apply.

i will throwra new unbuntu on the mac mini next week and see what is detected.

I can do the same the week after that with the machine containing the geforce (and also a radeon card if i can finde one of mine).

is there a tutorial/howto/manual on how to set up all the requirements for emby on ubuntu server 18 with hw acceleration for intel and nvidia geforce?

Would be cool if emby could be run in trial mode so i wouldnt have to constantly move my key.

Hi,

thankyou. Yes i have. It states that Emby doesnt support all features of the devices and features differ between device gewnerations. Thats why i posted.