Slow posters etc to load - is it normal?

Marshalleq

Marshalleq

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, I found one post that seemed to elude this was normal - I just wanted to check though.

How do you guys deal with it and does it sort of go away ie once you've got the server started and running for a while.

I'm evaluating coming from plex - some things in Emby are a lot better - more integrated and you can see Emby could be the winner over time.

The plugins impressed me a lot too - which probably means a more active community.

I'm not sure I want to wait for posters to load while browsing for something to watch - that's so dial up lol.

Marshalleq

If you look at this log you'll see lots of timeouts trying to download from MovieDb and Tvdb. Perhaps you have something blocking Emby Server from making those connections, such as firewall, security software, of VPN?

Marshalleq

Yes I saw that.  Everything else works though and I assume EMBY works like every other software - doesn't need ports opened for outgoing connections and such.  But you're saying that may result in slow loading (and I'd agree).

Marshalleq

Sorry I hadn't intended this to be a support request, but probably good to get the help now anyway. 

To that end - I run opnsense.  It's on a gigbit fibre connection (up and down), I have VPN, but it's not enabled for this.  Emby is hosted on unraid and is using docker.  It's a fairly complex setup, but I've not seen issues with outgoing traffic on anything else, and I'm not seeing it in any other docker on my system right now either.  I run 1.1.1.1 DNS from cloudflare.

There is no restriction on my firewall for traffic initiated internally (never has been).

I was playing around with IPv6 on the firewall the other day - I don't see why that should have changed anything though, nor why it's only affecting one docker, but I'll have a look at that.

I wonder if there's any rate limiting of those sites coming into play - I do note products like plex have their own proxy for this very reason and I'm assuming emby doesn't?

Thanks.

I wonder if there's any rate limiting of those sites coming into play

There could be, although for MovieDb we do have some code to account for this, although it's possible that it needs adjustment.

I'm assuming emby doesn't?

For musicbrainz yes, all others no, but that other app you mentioned I believe only has their own for tvdb and musicbrainz. 

Q-Droid

It does load the posters, but it does seem to need to load them each time I go to the main screen.

Do you have your libraries setup to download images in advance?