Naming Convention: Using IDMB ID

motey

so it would look like this,

American History X - (1998) then inside that folder you would have American History X - (1998).mp4,? MB will find correct metadata?

Good day,

You do not need the "-" between the movie name and the year in the folder name, so it will simply be:

American History X (1998)

For the movie name inside the above folder, as Luke said, but I like to name it same as the folder name without the year, as:

American History X.mp4

My best

• 2 weeks later...
User55263

If anyone's looking for the answer, in version =< 3.0.5675.1, tag is only searched in the folder's name, it should be fixed after 3.0.5675.1 (folder with multiple movies will have movies's filename parsed for the tag).

• 2 years later...

Yeah, I'm not sure it has ever been tested using just the tag.

But, again, there is an easier way.  Just enter the proper id in the edit screen or use the "Identify" feature and search by title, year, etc.

Then be sure to lock it so when the system scans next time it wont incorrectly identify it.

I have a few movies that for some reason the file name is the same as the title but it gets incorrectly identified often times. For example RobinHood_Men_In_Tights.

So i identified it using the imdb number and locked it now it stays on the correct match through library scans.

This naming convention tag in the file name is also handy, for me i just used this on the hunger games mockingjay 1 and 2 not sure if i had the titles correct but after putting [imdbid=id] at the end of the file name it is identified correctly.

If you give it an imdb id or moviedb id then you don't need to lock it to protect your metadata. You only need to lock it if you are customizing metadata and want that protected.

• 4 years later...
Zaphod414

This feature is still very relevant and useful.  Using the [imdbid=ttxxxxx] tag is the simplest way to PERMANENTLY fix mis-scrapes.  Sure, you can edit the metadata within the Emby UI and manually identify a show or movie, and that works a treat.  The problem is that any time you have to rebuild your library metadata (let's be honest, we're all compulsive tinkerers, so this happens often enough).  It's a simple thing to add imdbid={imdbid} to your folder naming convention in Sonarr/Radarr to add this foolproof identifier to your set of tags (meta stuff inside [ ]'s) for all newly added content so you never have any ID problems in the future.  Even as a one-off solution for specific cases it's extremely helpful.  Consider the following scenario:

Emby identifies two shows as one.  The animated series M.A.S.K. (1985) and The Twilight Zone (1985) both get identified as The Twilight Zone (1985) by Emby.  No matter how I tweaked the naming of M.A.S.K (1985) it would always identify as The Twilight Zone (1985).  Because I have both of these shows in my collection, what Emby does on a fresh meta-scrape is to combine the two shows into one instance of The Twilight Zone (1985).  So in my TV shows listing I now have two copies of each episode in The Twilight Zone (1985) and M.A.S.K (1985) isn't listed at all.  So there's nothing there in the Emby UI that I could perform a manual identify on.  I would have to manually split the two versions of each episode in The Twilight Zone (1985) to get two instances of the show in my listing so I could then identify the misidentified one as M.A.S.K (1985).  That's a huge pain to do once, let alone every time I need to rebuild my meta.  The imdbid tag saves a whole bunch of time, and does it permanently so once you have the tag Emby will never misidentify the title again.

Sorry for reviving such an old thread.  It features prominently in google when searching this topic, so I wanted to keep it active.

Edited by Zaphod414
typo
  • Thanks 1