Emby App UI

RS43

breezytm

I don’t mean to insult anyone but I think not everybody is aware that behind good and successful design there is designer. It’s a dedicated profession and there is much knowledge involved apart from gift. I don’t doubt there is someone who has that knowledge working for Plex and it’s pretty obvious that emby or kodi rely on enthusiasts in that regard. So by guessing what is “wrong” and how to improve it “democratically“ over the forums things can only get more awkward. 

You mean like "Anyway, I hope you guys don't take this the wrong way. I know @ebr you put a lot of work into these things but you guys may want to consider doing some sort of poll and see what people are thinking about the look and feel of your apps. And then take the feedbacks to design team."?

levander

You mean like "Anyway, I hope you guys don't take this the wrong way. I know @ebr you put a lot of work into these things but you guys may want to consider doing some sort of poll and see what people are thinking about the look and feel of your apps. And then take the feedbacks to design team."?

No. I meant what I wrote. 

playloud

Of course I will bring up Emby WMC again.  Much of the appeal to me was the customization that was available.  I could choose:

* Vertical or Horizontal scrolling

* Size of posters

* Space between posters

* View style (Poster, CoverFlow, Detail)

* My main view could be "Poster", and my collections views could be "Detail".  Or each collection could be manually set by me.

* Various themes, colors etc.

If someone didn't care about these settings, they can leave at default and be happy.  But that is the stuff I miss; I consider this entire endeavor of media management a hobby, and that made it fun to tweak and enjoy the visual results.

• Like 1

To not put too fine a point of it, If I could take Emby's server and Plex UI, that would be the perfect service.

What UI improvements would you suggest?

chacawaca

- Color modify option in existing skin, i like black default skin but i want to change this green for something else.

- Some tab in movie and music for cast & crew, chapter, media info, etc., more space to see cover art and overview, etc. We have too much information when we open a movie and we dont always want it. Movie's screen look like overcharged.

We have too much information when we open a movie and we dont always want it. Movie's screen look like overcharged.

What information would you remove?

chacawaca

Add some tab for information ( cast & crew, chapter, media info) instead of have it on main screen with poster art and description. 

I dont want to delete something i just dont think everything is useful when you just want to start a movie.

arrbee99

I think a small thing which some people might like is in this  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/79918-background-blur/page-1  post #15. I don't normally go for blurry stuff over backgrounds, but its covered in thumbs anyway. Also, a bit of css shows the backdrops rather well, though it would be nice to have it in Theather as well for example.

Ok, now we're in danger of turning this into a list of random feature requests. Since the original poster made a direct comparison to other software, that's what I was looking to get your feedback on - presentation elements that you think other competing apps do better.

If you have a general feature request, please create a separate feature request topic as per usual:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/98-feature-requests/

Thanks.

arrbee99

Fair enough, though I would say that maybe adding a bit of blur, kind of similar to the image of Plex back in post#21, might count as something they possibly do better that could be matched (as an option).

chacawaca

movie-preplay.png

if you want to talk about competitor. i talk something like that, less information but with tab to see everything you need.

Add some tab for information ( cast & crew, chapter, media info) instead of have it on main screen with poster art and description. 

But almost none of those things are even visible without scrolling down...  How are they in the way?

I think a small thing which some people might like is in this  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/79918-background-blur/page-1  post #15. I don't normally go for blurry stuff over backgrounds, but its covered in thumbs anyway. Also, a bit of css shows the backdrops rather well, though it would be nice to have it in Theather as well for example.

Actually I tried blurring backgrounds in the app a while ago.   Beta feedback was overwhelmingly negative so it never made it to a release.

movie-preplay.png

if you want to talk about competitor. i talk something like that, less information but with tab to see everything you need.

Perfect example of a smooth and clean interface. Very modern compared to Emby app.

• Like 1

arrbee99

Actually I tried blurring backgrounds in the app a while ago.   Beta feedback was overwhelmingly negative so it never made it to a release.

Definitely wouldn't want any blur over detail screens, like this (Chrome) view -

5de9865bbabcd_Embybackgroundblur4.jpg

Just, optionally, possibly, over a background for this kind of thing -

5de986b010f4f_Embybackgroundblur3.jpg

• Like 1

chacawaca

But almost none of those things are even visible without scrolling down...  How are they in the way?

on theater cast & crew is half visible but its still better than web page, you see cast & crew and chapter without scrolling.   Its a lot of information in the same window. 

5de986babe894_Sanstitre.png

chacawaca

On a web page you just move it all down (and preferably get rid of the poster).

tried but since not all my screen have same size that was not a greet succes

arrbee99

tried but since not all my screen have same size that was not a greet succes

Ah yes, well sorry, didn't think about that :)

Definitely wouldn't want any blur over detail screens, like this (Chrome) view -

Just, optionally, possibly, over a background for this kind of thing -

The default in the TV apps now is not to show backdrops on those browsing screens where they are 90% obscured.

on theater cast & crew is half visible but its still better than web page, you see cast & crew and chapter without scrolling.   Its a lot of information in the same window. 

5de986babe894_Sanstitre.png

Okay, sorry, I thought this was in reference to the TV interface.

chacawaca

I have done this for fun just for the idea. No scrolling, just some tab that replace the description by chapter, cast & crew, etc

5dea7bde7f1c8_forfun.jpg

• Like 1

miniliQuid

I have done this for fun just for the idea. No scrolling, just some tab that replace the description by chapter, cast & crew, etc

5dea7bde7f1c8_forfun.jpg

This is actually a pretty good idea, would (maybe) solve some discussions people are having with the extras as well.

And collections for me for that matter... :D

chacawaca

i know that probably will not finish like this, but i find this easier to show what i think with image than trying to explain myself since english isnt my primary language.