CBS - Direct Play Does Not Work, Transcoding Does

darrenkdean

The interesting part, why it worked earlier but not with the latest beta is this: 

• When specifying the decoder by stream index (like in the current beta) like this: -c:0 mpeg2video
    => ffmpeg tries to match that immediately with the stream type that the container is indicating (which is unknown here and causes the error)
  • When specifying the decoder by typed-stream-index (like in current stable): -c:v:0 mpeg2video
    => ffmpeg performs heuristic stream detection first (probesize, analyzeduration) and does the stream-index-matching afterwards

That's an interesting detail that I wasn't even aware about myself...

We will return to the second method for transcoding, but as I said above, that won't solve the problem with direct play at the TV.

Edited by softworkz

What you could to though, is trying the modified stream file with the tv. I just sent it via PM.

Thanks, will do

What you could to though, is trying the modified stream file with the tv. I just sent it via PM.

OK, that file DirectPlays now, so it is recoverable with transcoding

This seems to be a special case, and I'm not really sure we can easily detect and handle it, particularly since this stream ID is not being saved during the probing

I think it might still be worth asking over at Silicondust whether they are willing to fix this.

PS: The next Emby beta will have the transcoding working again. (not .2, but .3)

darrenkdean

The stream was recorded using the Emby Server Native support for HDHomerun Prime & the Emby Native recording feature.  @@robrhedrick pulled it off the Linux Emby server & posted it, as I had no idea how to get it off the server.  Our setup is 2x HD Home Run Prime devices with cable cards, along with a Charter Communications supplied tuning resolver that plugs into the HD Home Run Prime via USB.  @@robrhedrick can speak to the more technical side of the setup if there are questions

Appreciate all of the help with this!  LSU football is broadcast on CBS,  =)

Hi, I got all the answers now.

@@SamES - Where did you get this stream from? Did you record it, and if yes, how?

According to my analysis:

• The stream is originating from an ATSC broadcast
  • It's not an original broadcast stream, though
    Everything but the video and audio alongside the mandatory PAT/PMT has been stripped
  • Originally, the video stream was broadcast as an encrypted stream (DigiCipher II encryption)
  • Somehow, the video stream has been decrypted, but whoever did the decryption, forgot to change the stream type id to the right value ("right" meaning non-encrypted mpeg2 video)

5df2e2098cef4_digicipher2_b.jpg

The stream type is still indicated as 128 (0x80), which means encrypted.

The  consequence is that ffmpeg says "Invalid decoder type 'mpeg2video'" because stream type 128 is an unknown type of stream.

• 4 weeks later...
darrenkdean

Good Morning! Just checking in on this thread. Any updates? Appreciate everything you guys do.

Good Morning! Just checking in on this thread. Any updates? Appreciate everything you guys do.

We will return to the second method for transcoding, but as I said above, that won't solve the problem with direct play at the TV.

This has already been changed, please try the latest beta.