Emby, metadata & images - won’t pull from folder info?

piecesofme

piecesofme

Hi,

I’m trying to sort out a few issues that I’m having with my Emby setup. I added some folders and chose to write the metadata and images to the folders in which the media resides. It seemed the easiest and least likely to have issues down the road. I also spent a fair bit of time choosing artwork and manually “identifying” a number of the files as it wouldn’t pull it automatically. 

I ended up having to mount my drives in a different location which meant adding “new” file locations (actually, the location was the same but the name had obviously changed). However, it didn’t group any of the files and it didn’t pull from the nfo files or images within the media folders. I started to group some of them manually to make sure that things were properly identified but read that things should all sort out once the old location data was deleted. Unfortunately, this has not been the case. All the work I did to group them items was lost and all the files that I had to manually identify and match, were back to where it started (unmatched to anything). All the files that I manually chose the posters for and made sure they were downloaded into the media folders, they are back to the first one that downloaded rather than the one that I chose. 

I’m just not sure what to do. I’d rather not have to redo all the work that I’ve already put in and I don’t understand why Emby isn’t pulling from the metadata within the folders. I’d really appreciated any help because I don’t know what to do to sort this out and fix it. 

piecesofme

Well, as I looked into it further, it’s even more odd. I know that all my metadata and images had been written to jpg and nfo files within the media folders. I saw many, many of these. However, after I added the new location names, let everything match up as best it could, even manually grouped many of the movies (which Emby found twice because of the two locations), I deleted the first location as I read that things should improve once that was done. For some reason, when I deleted that first location, ALL of the media metadata that had been written to nfo/jpg files were gone! Every single one was deleted when I deleted the first/original file locations. 

So, this is why Emby wasn’t pulling from local metadata and images because the nfo/jpg files disappeared and no longer exist. I don’t understand why this happened at all but it did. I’m having to completely redo all the posters that I fixed and the ones that had to be manually found and downloaded. I’m not complaining. But thought it worth mentioning that this happened. I cannot even fathom how it ended up that way. But anyway, I’m working my way through again to get everything sorted out again. I’ll get there eventually. :)