How to add NON local user >> Help!

clarkss12

clarkss12

Now that it is football season, my son that lives in another state, wishes to watch the local NFL team using my server.  I can't figure out to "invite" him to use my server..   

Of course I am a nitwit, and reading the "help" screens does not help.  This is the screen I am using, but I don't see anything like it................  

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Emby-Connect

Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to allow him to use my server..  He has a Roku, and I think I gave him one of my older Nexus Player boxes........  I think he also has an Apple box of some kind.

Edited by clarkss12

Guest asrequested

First he should get an Emby connect account. Then just create a local user account, and it should prompt you to link it to his connect account. And remember that your server is going to transcode everything.

Edited by Doofus

clarkss12

First he should get and Emby connect account. Then just create a local user account, and it should prompt you to link it to his connect account. And remember that your server is going to transcode everything.

I just emailed him about his Emby connect account, we did connect last year, but now I have a different server.  I forgot how to "invite" him.

"Then just create a local user account, and it should prompt you to link it to his connect account. "  This is the part that I don't understand......  I don't get that prompt...... Can you add some screen shots??

thanks

Happy2Play

I just emailed him about his Emby connect account, we did connect last year, but now I have a different server.  I forgot how to "invite" him.

"Then just create a local user account, and it should prompt you to link it to his connect account. "  This is the part that I don't understand......  I don't get that prompt...... Can you add some screen shots??

thanks

You just add the Connect Username to the local user.

5d7049fe7d626_new.jpg

clarkss12

You just add the Connect Username to the local user.

5d7049fe7d626_new.jpg

Do you mean when he registers and gets a username. I add that username?

Happy2Play

Yes you create a local user then add the Connect username to that local user.

With the changes to require local users, I don't believe the old invitation workflow works anymore so you have to ensure they already have a Connect account then add it to the user.  At that time they will receive a invitation email

Edited by Happy2Play

You said you did this last year so you should be able to use the same Connect account you used then.

Alternatively, you could just give him the IP address/domain name of your server and have him enter that - presto bango.

clarkss12

You said you did this last year so you should be able to use the same Connect account you used then.

Alternatively, you could just give him the IP address/domain name of your server and have him enter that - presto bango.

Thanks for that information.  I emailed him a link to this thread.  

I emailed him the web IP address, but when I checked it, it opened up on one of my other servers on my network.  Apparently, Remote (WAN) access:: just gets into my network, and selects the first server it finds.

Apparently, Remote (WAN) access:: just gets into my network, and selects the first server it finds.

No, it would direct to whichever server you port forwarded to...

BAlGaInTl

Thanks for that information.  I emailed him a link to this thread.  

I emailed him the web IP address, but when I checked it, it opened up on one of my other servers on my network.  Apparently, Remote (WAN) access:: just gets into my network, and selects the first server it finds.

That sounds like a routing issue.  You would have to forward the proper ports on your router to the server you want them to go to.  Then your son has to connect in this manner:

http://1.1.1.1:8096 

or

https://1.1.1.1:8020

replacing the port with those that you are using on your router. (they don't have to be the same as the ports used by Emby, just forwarded to them)

clarkss12

That sounds like a routing issue.  You would have to forward the proper ports on your router to the server you want them to go to.  Then your son has to connect in this manner:

http://1.1.1.1:8096 

or

https://1.1.1.1:8020

replacing the port with those that you are using on your router. (they don't have to be the same as the ports used by Emby, just forwarded to them)

Thanks, now I will have to figure out how to change the port on my Asus router, been awhile since I set it up.

BAlGaInTl

Thanks, now I will have to figure out how to change the port on my Asus router, been awhile since I set it up.

Which asus router?

clarkss12

I played with my router settings, and now I can't even connect to my Vorke V2 server on my LAN.  I can connect my other two servers....... argggggggggggg.

clarkss12

Ok, still in the dark...........  

Here is what he said  

"I set up an Emby connect account.  At least I think I did (strange they don't email me a confirmation that I created an account).  I now have three different Emby accounts, including the older ones.  I'm not sure I'm able to sign into any of them though.  Maybe you need to add me?  I enter my new username and pw, and then get the message that it's unable to sign me in.  Maybe it means I just can't sign in to your server...not sure. I do see the Beelink server...that one asks me to sign in again.  When I try to sign into a different server, I get asked for username and pw again.  It's a viscious cycle to trying to sign in and connect to something. "

He sees one of my servers, but gets an error.

I try to add him from my computer, using his Emby account name, but I get this error.........

There was an error adding the Emby Connect account. Have you created an Emby account? Sign up at https://emby.media/connect.

If you're still having an issue, please send an email to apps@emby.media from the email address used with the Emby account.

clarkss12

Also, right now, I use DDNS, and VPN that is built into my Asus router.  By enabling "OpenVPN" on my cell phone, I can access my server and watch all my media, from anywhere outside of my local network.  However, live TV has a circle that goes round and round, never playing anything.  All my other media plays very well, without any buffering.  Just live TV has an issue.

Next issue, how do I set up my router to port forward my server running on Windows 10, I forgot........

thanks for all the help.

Happy2Play

Also, right now, I use DDNS, and VPN that is built into my Asus router.  By enabling "OpenVPN" on my cell phone, I can access my server and watch all my media, from anywhere outside of my local network.  However, live TV has a circle that goes round and round, never playing anything.  All my other media plays very well, without any buffering.  Just live TV has an issue.

Next issue, how do I set up my router to port forward my server running on Windows 10, I forgot........

thanks for all the help.

https://portforward.com/asus/rt-ac1900p/

But if you were able to connect with your cellphone the ports would appear to be forwarded properly.

You can check your ports via canyouseeme.org if you are checking via your network or https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ if checking from another network.

clarkss12

https://portforward.com/asus/rt-ac1900p/

But if you were able to connect with your cellphone the ports would appear to be forwarded properly.

You can check your ports via canyouseeme.org if you are checking via your network or https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ if checking from another network.

Thank you, I port forwarded my Vorke V2 server and it showed up using your link.  But, when I try to connect with the Emby app running on my cell phone (not WiFi connected) it says connection failure.

When I go back WiFi (LAN), it works, I can even watch the NFL on my phone.

This how I setup my port forwarding.

post-38990-0-65626600-1567732713_thumb.jpg

Edited by clarkss12

Happy2Play

Thank you, I port forwarded my Vorke V2 server and it showed up using your link.  But, when I try to connect with the Emby app running on my cell phone (not WiFi connected) it says connection failure.

When I go back WiFi (LAN), it works, I can even watch the NFL on my phone.

This how I setup my port forwarding.

attachicon.gifport forwarding.jpg

I have never don't mixed public/local port mapping but do you have Emby setup the same way?  Dashboard-Advanced

clarkss12

I have never don't mixed public/local port mapping but do you have Emby setup the same way?  Dashboard-Advanced

I have no idea, I am totally lost..........

clarkss12

Also that appears to be UDP did you do TCP?

yes, I saw that and changed it to both.  Should it only be TCP?

clarkss12

I am totally lost, I have 4 servers running, all on Windows 10 computers.  On my router, I disabled the "port forwarding", as it has always been.  Now, I can access my Beelink L55 miniPC running one of the servers. from my cell phone, connected to the cellular data (WiFi disabled).  Everything is working, including the Greenbay NFL game.  Normally, I have to use the "OpenVPN" app on my phone to get access to my Emby server, but not now.

I don't know what difference is between all my servers, but only the L55 is accessible from the WAN.