Remote access with AirVPN

n7of9

Hi all,  There is another similar thread on here about PIA and a user in that thread said they got remote access working with AirVPN, so I'm hoping someone can point out any obvious mistake I'm making.  

Image 1 - Emby shows that my local access is port is 8096, and my external is AirVPN.IP:26163 

Image 2 - AirVPN has port 26163 forwarded to 8096 (image 2 attached).  I also tested forwarding AirVPN 26163 external port to 26163 internal port (just in case) but that doesn't work either.

I have the same AirVPN settings for my plex server (open external port pointing to internal port) and that works.

When I turn off my VPN client I can access Emby Server on port 26163 at my real IP.  

Any ideas?

Thanks so much

post-502576-0-12083900-1566558353_thumb.png

post-502576-0-59871000-1566558359_thumb.png

Guest asrequested

I haven't.

Don't compare it to Plex. That's apples and oranges. Have you turned off automatic port mapping in the server?

• Like 1

bernado99

It's been a while now since I used Emby, I had a devil of a job getting it to work with a VPN but I did have success with Air, with the Emby settings setup as you have.

One thing though, how is your VPN client running?

I installed Air VPN on a secondary router (DD-WRT configured) with a different IP range from my primary router and ran the Emby server directly off that VPN router.

For example my primary router would be 192.168.1.1 and I set the secondary router running the VPN to 192.168.3.1 to avoid network conflict (double NAT type stuff)

I could never get remote access working reliably using a VPN client (both Air & Iron Socket) on the Emby server machine itself.

Edited by bernado99
  • Like 1

I haven't.

Don't compare it to Plex. That's apples and oranges. Have you turned off automatic port mapping in the server?

Yes, they are apples and oranges, which is great and why we are all here :)  It was more an indication that port-forwarding on AirVPN  does work, and the only other server I use it with is Plex and I can successfully remote connect.

I have tried with both automatic port mapping on or off in Emby server settings, still cannot remote access while the VPN is on (using Android app on phone, or browser on phone, from a different IP). 

Edited by n7of9

One thing though, how is your VPN client running?

I installed Air VPN on a secondary router...

I could never get remote access working reliably using a VPN client (both Air & Iron Socket) on the Emby server machine itself.

AirVPN has a Windows client that acts as a TAP adapter (I think I have my terminology correct) and it's running on the same PC as the Emby server.

On the Android Emby app, I can see my server, I just can't connect to it.

bernado99

AirVPN has a Windows client that acts as a TAP adapter (I think I have my terminology correct) and it's running on the same PC as the Emby server.

On the Android Emby app, I can see my server, I just can't connect to it.

Yes this is bringing it all back to me and I feel your pain.

I spent goodness knows how long going through network adapter settings and firewall rulings with little/no success (largely due no doubt to a lack of understanding at that level on my part) before setting up a secondary network as a solution.

Sorry I can't help anymore with your setup but at least you know you're not alone, good luck though!

• Like 1

Sorry I can't help anymore with your setup but at least you know you're not alone, good luck though!

That's OK, thanks for trying. I also have a thread on AirVPN forums. It's definitely a vpn issue because with the vpn off I can connect remotely.

If I get it sorted out I will post my settings with pictures for anyone else in future.

• 2 years later...
GrimReaper

AirVPN is good stuff. Just made a setup for a relatively technically-inept friend with AirVPN (paid), Dynu DDNS (free) and Let's Encrypt certificate (free) through Certify the Web (which has Dynu API preset for authorization/DNS validation), which is basically three client apps with no complicated scripts involved. As AirVPN client (Eddie) acts as a TAP adapter it redirects system traffic from your regular network cards to the TAP adapter, which manages the low-level details of your connection, hence Dynu client sees any VPN exit IP change and propagates domain name, no user interaction is needed anymore after initial setup - he's anonymous, secure (all connections go through https) and has NO open ports in his router, as those are not needed due to secure tunnel and AirVPN port forwarding support. All in all is very user-friendly setup which can be done in abt. half an hour to an hour. Thumbs-up.

Edit: For those with speed concerns, AirVPN claims no bandwidth limitations, his 200 Mbps connection had 186 Mbps download:

Eddie.png.41da84f96dfacecd1ba71719a20ba28b.png

Edited by GrimReaper
Speed
  • Like 2

I have not tried AirVPN but it looks nice.  I have tested serval different providers and for my use PIA seems to be best. Here is what I like about them.
They offer split tunnel by application or IP
Free port forwarding
PIA Mace (blocks domains used for ads, malware and tracking).  Like running your own pi-hole server.
Optional Dedicated IP that is strictly yours
OpenVPN as well as Wireguard support (kernel mode)

Enough about PIA as that just happens to be what's good for me in my location.  Here is some other useful (hopefully) information to think about regardless of VPN.

I'm presently on the east coast near Philadelphia.  In this test I'm establishing a VPN connection in Washington state (cross country).  From there I'm running a speed test back to Ashburn, VA near Washington DC.  So I'm going cross country and back to get a good feel for connectivity and routing in a real world situation vs just connecting to the closest test server which will show a higher test number that isn't realistic in actual use.

image.png.f782b452fc45c74cf8c2467a19234522.png

OpenVPN test using PIA

image.thumb.png.60837b61470d3d4577781c9cd9bfa8b8.png

WireGuard test via PIA
image.thumb.png.645112e3c0823f4744aef1a660451796.png

That is connecting to the exact same server, doing the same test just using a different protocol.

For comparison using the closest server to me showing maximum bandwidth available right now for me with no VPN.

image.png.9c2a63bcfdb774b9aa924c419eea8dab.png

These couple tests clearly show the speed hit you get when using VPN vs not using a VPN.  This is pretty typical of all providers but you should check your own VPN on different days and times of the day to get a feel for this.
This is one of the reasons I'm a fan of setting up split tunneling to only route applications that need hiding so you can can maximize your broadband connectivity.

Short of being able to see the URL (hiding usage from ISP) your data is encrypted using https without a VPN so rethink your general VPN usage.

• 1 year later...
JERRY1

Trying to setup port forwarding with Airvpn..emby rejecting the port airvpn assigned me.

when i put the port in emby server i can't connect..no way i know of to get back in the server other than reinstall fresh

GrimReaper

How does your AirVPN.org Client Area Port forwarding section look like? 

Edited by GrimReaper