Is there a guide available for view HDR content in Emby Theatre for PC

gwujkiw

gwujkiw

Would like any info or instructions on how to watch HDR movies within Emby Theatre if anyone has any good resources.

Thanks again.

Sammy

My first inclination was @

He'll help you spend your money!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by Sammy

Guest asrequested

My first inclination was @

He'll help you spend your money!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Lol. It doesn't actually cost anything :)

Guest asrequested

And just to make it clear, you don't actually need to do anything to play HDR media. It will automatically tone-map. It just doesn't use wide color gamut by default. It will map to bt.709.

gwujkiw

Luke, it would make things much easier if you included the auto-profiles script with the installation.

So I'm pretty knowledgeable and not a complete newbie to using programs like this but ideally yes I would love to learn how to use the internal player to do it as I imagine that is the easiest.  But if you also have knowledge of how to use an external player to do it that would be helpful too.  Maybe let me know the advantages to disadvantages of both.

gwujkiw

And just to make it clear, you don't actually need to do anything to play HDR media. It will automatically tone-map. It just doesn't use wide color gamut by default. It will map to bt.709.

Do I have to enable HDR in windows 10 display settings at all?  Normally with HDR content my TV's contrast settings and brightness change within the TV's menu and I know its on.

Guest asrequested

Do I have to enable HDR in windows 10 display settings at all? Normally with HDR content my TV's contrast settings and brightness change within the TV's menu and I know its on.

This is where people are getting confused. I imagine because they don't understand what and how HDR actually works.

The short answer is no, you just hit play.

But if you want to have an output comparative to HDR passthrough, then the answer is more expansive. That is why I made that thread in the testing area.

As for standard HDR playback with an external player, there is a guide for that, using MPC-BE and madVR, in the guide section. Just be aware that using an external player it will be used for all videos and not just HDR stuff. The more you want, the more complex the solution. That's why I asked what your expectations were.

gwujkiw

This is where people are getting confused. I imagine because they don't understand what and how HDR actually works.

The short answer is no, you just hit play.

But if you want to have an output comparative to HDR passthrough, then the answer is more expansive. That is why I made that thread in the testing area.

As for standard HDR playback with an external player, there is a guide for that, using MPC-BE and madVR, in the guide section. Just be aware that using an external player it will be used for all videos and not just HDR stuff. The more you want, the more complex the solution. That's why I asked what your expectations were.

I guess this is where I get confused because if I just hit play it doesn't seem to trigger the TV to go into HDR mode where the brightness and contrast typically change on the TV itself.

If i enable hdr in windows 10 it does seem to trigger this.  Would there be a negative effect of me doing this and using Emby?

Sorry if the questions are dumb haha.

Edited by gwujkiw

Guest asrequested

Ha! Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. What you're seeing is HDR not being 'triggered' in either circumstance. It's confusing, I know. I don't have time to explain right now, I'm at work. I think I need to make a very long post on the 'how to' and why you're doing what you're doing. And provide all the various components, to allow the different ways of configuration. Then break it all down into sections. I just think it might be tl;dr experience, and people will ask questions, anyway.

If you guys could give feedback on what would be helpful to you and what you would like to see in a guide, then I could put it all together.

Guest asrequested

Also is the internal player better then a external one?

That's subjective. The internal player is mpv, and that's my 'go to' player for everything. But many people prefer madVR. For ease of use, mpv definitely is much better. I've just learned to make it do a lot of different things.

lorac

Personally i just use HDR10 enabled all the time. It's just easier. Here's my conf file which is based on Doofus code.

gpu-api=auto
hwdec=d3d11va
opengl-pbo
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
dither-depth=10
icc-profile=C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\AdobeRGB1998.icc
icc-contrast=50000
deband
saturation=0
brightness=0
contrast=0
deinterlace=no

video-sync=display-vdrop
interpolation

hwdec-codecs=all

demuxer-lavf-analyzeduration=3

force-seekable=yes

sub-create-cc-track=yes
sub-pos=90
sub-ass-override=no

audio-stream-silence=yes
audio-device=wasapi/AV Receiver (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)
audio-exclusive=yes
af=lavcac3enc=yes:640:2

log-file="c:\mpv logs\Theater mpv log.txt"

[HDR]
profile-desc=cond:p["video-params/primaries"]=="bt.2020"
hdr-compute-peak=no
tone-mapping=reinhard
tone-mapping-param=0.5
tone-mapping-desaturate=3
icc-profile=C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\AdobeRGB1998.icc
icc-contrast=1000000
target-peak=300
hwdec=d3d11va
scale=auto
deinterlace=no
deband=no
video-sync=audio
contrast=0
saturation=0
brightness=0
log-file="c:\mpv logs\hdr mpv log.txt"

Guest asrequested

@lorac, just a quick heads up. This line

af=lavcac3enc=yes:640:2

will convert all non-bitstreamed audio to AC3. Music, too. You may want to experiment with that and see if you like it. I prefer my audio like that because of my particular audio setup, but it may not suit everyone's taste.

Mike-G

I may need to make a full guide, complete with attachments, for this. For people who are new to it.

Would really appreciate that, if you have time.

gwujkiw

Thanks now I guess I just need to now where to put this auto files script and what to put in there exactly haha.

Thanks for all the help guys.