24 replies to this topic

#21 Q-Droid OFFLINE  

Q-Droid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • Local time: 03:24 AM

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:40 PM

It's limited to two transcoding sessions unless you unlock it.

It needs a 6-pin PCIe power lead from the PSU.

It's refurbished.

If you're good with that it should work fine. I think many in here use them.

#22 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2715 posts
  • Local time: 12:24 AM

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:44 PM

It's limited to two transcoding sessions unless you unlock it.

It needs a 6-pin PCIe power lead from the PSU.

It's refurbished.

If you're good with that it should work fine. I think many in here use them.

How does one determine the number of streams it'll transcode? I'd like to know for my search so maybe I get one that does 4 streams or whatever. Also, how does one unlock it and how many streams does that yield?

My PSU has the 6-pin power out I believe.

I have no problems with refurbished stuff from reputable sellers like Amazon Warehouse and Newegg but not third party merchants.

Thanks.

#23 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2715 posts
  • Local time: 12:24 AM

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:49 PM

Yes you could benefit from a GPU. And if you're not looking for gaming power then a fairly recent card like Radeon RX 550 can be had for under $100, doesn't have an artificial stream limit, doesn't need extra PSU power and can handle 4k HDR.

Caveat: I haven't used one or had my hands on one. So do your DD and research how well it would work with Emby on your OS and hardware.

So maybe I should be searching for one of these? I've always prefered nVidia over AMD / Radeon.

#24 Q-Droid OFFLINE  

Q-Droid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:59 PM

How does one determine the number of streams it'll transcode? I'd like to know for my search so maybe I get one that does 4 streams or whatever. Also, how does one unlock it and how many streams does that yield?

Nvidia consumer gaming GPUs are restricted to two streams and there's a patch to unlock that. You should be able to search these forums for references to the patch.

#25 Q-Droid OFFLINE  

Q-Droid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:14 PM

So maybe I should be searching for one of these? I've always prefered nVidia over AMD / Radeon.

You might find better driver and software support with Nvidia. It would also come down to what OS you plan to use and the kind of support you'd get from Emby. I haven't had to deal with either Nvidia or AMD for my media server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users