Video doesnt Start

Misinthe

Misinthe

Hey everyone, I am trying to watch a TV Show and the video does not start. I tried in my computer and Phone and it works fine, but when I try to do it on my LG Smart TV, it says 0:00 out of 24:00 and the video automatically pauses. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Misinthe

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

I don't know how much more info I can give you but, the format file is .mkv, but since it's going through Emby I don't see that being a problem for the TV.

I attached a couple of screenshots.

Edit: I added the Logs from the past 7 minutes, there's something going on for sure.

post-394116-0-85289300-1563745440_thumb.jpg

post-394116-0-05713200-1563745456_thumb.jpg

Log 7-21-2019.txt

Edited by Misinthe

SamES

I think this is the same issue we spoke about the other day with playback not starting.

@@Misinthe, what happens if you copy the file to USB and try and play it directly in the tv from the built in player. I suspect it will fail as well.

Misinthe

I think this is the same issue we spoke about the other day with playback not starting.

@@Misinthe, what happens if you copy the file to USB and try and play it directly in the tv from the built in player. I suspect it will fail as well.

I get this error when playing straight from USB. I knew this was going to happen since it's a .mkv file, but should that matter since supposedly the Server is doing the transcoding? All the previous episodes I've been watching were also .mkv and worked fine.

Thank you for your time.

post-394116-0-08113200-1563844878_thumb.jpg

The problem is these are files that are supposed to direct play, but they're just failing with the lg video player.

And even worse, the video player isn't triggering an error that we can catch to automatically switch to transcoding.

Misinthe

The problem is these are files that are supposed to direct play, but they're just failing with the lg video player.

And even worse, the video player isn't triggering an error that we can catch to automatically switch to transcoding.

I see, is there anything I can do to help with this, or is it something you have to try and fix on your side? I just plugged my FireTV and I've been using that for now.

Well ideally it would be fixed via lg firmware update. We have to keep looking for a workaround to try and detect it so that we can automatically switch to transcoding.

SamES

I get this error when playing straight from USB. I knew this was going to happen since it's a .mkv file, but should that matter since supposedly the Server is doing the transcoding? All the previous episodes I've been watching were also .mkv and worked fine.

Thank you for your time.

This does confirm the issue that Luke has described.  

However I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'I knew this was going to happen since it's a .mkv file,'.  Mkv shouldn't be a problem, so I don't think that is why it failed.  There is something else about the combination of streams that is causing this incompatibility.  It is rare, so I don't expect you would see this with other files. 

Misinthe

This does confirm the issue that Luke has described.  

However I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'I knew this was going to happen since it's a .mkv file,'.  Mkv shouldn't be a problem, so I don't think that is why it failed.  There is something else about the combination of streams that is causing this incompatibility.  It is rare, so I don't expect you would see this with other files. 

I've always had problems Playing Matroska video files, I've been using for a little over a decade, when I try to reproduce them straight from TV's, it's not a very common format file so not all TV's support it. I do wonder though, why some of my .mkv do play on this TV and some don't. Why is the TV not able to reproduce certain .mkv files or why is the TV sometimes reporting and switching the transcoding and sometimes it won't? It's weird that it is only certain .mkv files.

I do wonder though, why some of my .mkv do play on this TV and some don't.

That's the mystery. That's also the reason why we can't just force transcoding on all of them because there would be a mass uprising from users who are not having any problems.

Misinthe

That's the mystery. That's also the reason why we can't just force transcoding on all of them because there would be a mass uprising from users who are not having any problems.

Right, you would be using a lot of hardware resources unnecesarly. There has to be a reason or trigger thought, maybe the bit rate or something?

Yea that is what we'd like to find out, the problem is that when just looking at the media info, it looks like any other mkv to me.

But you could use a tool like MediaInfo to compare some that work to those that don't.

It is probably an advanced characteristic such as header stripping, header compression, etc.

Misinthe

But you could use a tool like MediaInfo to compare some that work to those that don't.

It is probably an advanced characteristic such as header stripping, header compression, etc.

In the picture, the 2 on the left do not play and the two on the right do play.

Right out of the gate I can see that there is some information missing, maybe the server can't read what it is so it can't play?

I will try downloading that tool and checking.

post-394116-0-64589500-1564090122_thumb.png

maybe the server can't read what it is so it can't play?

No - again remember this is direct play, we're just transmitting the original file as-is. So what you really mean to say here is:

maybe the LG video player can't read what it is so it can't play?

Misinthe

No - again remember this is direct play, we're just transmitting the original file as-is. So what you really mean to say here is:

maybe the LG video player can't read what it is so it can't play?

Yeah, here are some screenshots of MediaInfo for the same files as before.

post-394116-0-41317200-1564090393_thumb.png

post-394116-0-96339100-1564090396_thumb.png

post-394116-0-51559200-1564090400_thumb.png

post-394116-0-77204600-1564090403_thumb.png

Misinthe

Can you do the tree view? It will have more data. Thanks.

I put them in Text files for you, and I did full seasons that I know work and don't work so you can get more info on them.

Work.txt

Not Work.txt

@@SamES there are some definite things to check here. The not working one is 10-bit. Is that supposed to be supported? It also has the high 10 profile and 16 reference frames, which is a high number.

@@Misinthe, to help narrow this down, do you have other failing videos that are more similar to the working example? Like for instance 8-bit?

Misinthe

@@SamES there are some definite things to check here. The not working one is 10-bit. Is that supposed to be supported? It also has the high 10 profile and 16 reference frames, which is a high number.

@@Misinthe, to help narrow this down, do you have other failing videos that are more similar to the working example? Like for instance 8-bit?

I am sorry but I do not, this are the first ones that I have come across that will not reproduce and I haven't gone to further Seasons. If you give me some time, maybe over the weekend, I can test other Seasons and other Anime that I have in .mkv and see if any others give me the same problem.

@@SamES, I'm not sure this will fix it for all cases, but this might be an easy fix by adding a VideoBitDepth condition to the profile. But of course, we'd also have to make sure to not apply that condition if some models might support the 10-bit content.

SamES

@Misinthere, are you running the latest version - just released in the last few days?  There was a fix in there for a bug introduced with 10-bit videos on LG.  

Can you please let me know your TV model?  If it is an older web0s version, (lower than 3.0) then it may have some mkv incompatibilities.

Misinthe

@Misinthere, are you running the latest version - just released in the last few days?  There was a fix in there for a bug introduced with 10-bit videos on LG.  

Can you please let me know your TV model?  If it is an older web0s version, (lower than 3.0) then it may have some mkv incompatibilities.

I am running Emby Server 4.1.1.0, I don't know if that's the latest or how to update it?

Also, my TV is the LG 70UK6190PUB, Running Software Version 04.10.55.