Server Migration - Emby Connect users didn't migrate

byusinger84

byusinger84

I have a server with approximately 20 users and they all use Emby Connect to get on the server. The user accounts migrated over just fine using the backup and restore plugin, but the Emby Connect accounts are missing from those accounts. Did I miss something? I can't seem to figure it out. 

Doing some more digging it looks like this is a known behavior. Is there any possible way to migrate those users without having to re-invite? That's going to confuse a lot of people especially because the servers are named the same. Doing a test with my account now shows two servers with the same name with only one working. Deleting all the servers and re-inviting myself again doesn't clear up the extra server. If this doesn't work I might just resort to doing a P2V migration of the server and making it a VM which I'd rather not due for various reasons. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by byusinger84

Happy2Play

Currently there is no migration of linked Connect accounts (that I am aware of).  All Connect accounts have to be re-linked to the local user account.

But I guess it would be what type of migration are you doing as the users.db appears to have this information.  

The users themselves will be migrated, just not the association with Emby Connect. That will need to be recreated.

Does this answer your question?

byusinger84

So I guess if I re-invite them (I still have that list on the old server), does this mean they'll still show the old server in there and if they are named the same that'll mean they will show two with the same name? Is there anyway for them to delete one of them? I was unsuccessful doing this myself last night with my own account but it was late so...

Also as an aside, I'm sure there are reasons why but...I wish this was migratible/backupable. :)

Edited by byusinger84

byusinger84

I suppose what I'm asking is...what is the best way to do this with the least amount of user interaction and confusion.

Edited by byusinger84

Happy2Play

Listed old server are going to happen any time server is moved to a different machine as the device changes.  Not sure of your issue but I have no issue removing old servers and adding new or re-inviting for the new server to appear without the old one re-appearing after deletion.  But the issue will be every user will have to remove the old server.

What is your migration (same or different OS)?  In theory everything in "\Emby-Server\programdata" is portable, but you can run into media path differences in the database when relocated to new system.

byusinger84

Everything is Windows Server 2019. All the paths are exactly the same.

Happy2Play

Everything is Windows Server 2019. All the paths are exactly the same.

What was your migration process?  Did you copy the programdata folder from old system to new or just use the plugin?

Happy2Play

Currently the plugin does not do anything with the linked users.  Hopefully that will changed in the future.  If you still have the old setup you can copy the programdata folder. I transfer/copy mine for portable version testing all the time.

Just tested dropping users.db into another system and almost everything transfers except some user configs as I did not migrate the user folders.  But all linked users remained linked.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

Ok cool. I'll try that tonight. Thank you!

Since you have already done a restore via the plugin all you should have to do is copy the users.db and start Emby.

It really depend on how much of the old you want to maintain or start fresh with new, on what you copy over from the old installation.

byusinger84

So I copied users.db over. Users can now login (yay!) but now Emby is doing a few weird things on the server management side. Scheduled tasks, library, and a few other areas just sit and spin. Everything else works as it should. Thoughts?

Happy2Play

Probably need to post a server log.

byusinger84

Meaning those pages do not load and the spinning circle (loading circle?) pops up and doesn't go away.

Generally I wouldn't suggest moving the whole .db file unless the new environment is almost exactly the same.

byusinger84

It is set up identically. I actually ended up moving the app data folder over and everything is working perfectly.