Emby Theater and Logitech Harmony Hub/Elite remote

Michael.D.Pine

Michael.D.Pine

Oh far out, this is such a joke, so I basically obliterated everything off my Harmony, except deleting my account which is next and wiping all the devices. I think I have done everything right, added a computer etc and it all seemed to go fine. But then no matter what I do, when I press a button on the remote all I get is a message "You have to use the Harmony App to use this remote" that's it, nothing else, can't do anything. I try the pair routine "Menu+Mute" and it says paired successfully then I get the same message if I try and press a button again. Really really frustrating so only got that far had to help a niece who had deleted files off her USB drive, at least I managed to get those back for her. So I achieved something today. So I fear now something is very wrong with one of the devices. Also going to get a new USB dongle because I can't seem to find the Hub now, I can't believe this is so hard, anyway hitting a brick wall tonight, so tomorrow it is.

Thanks for all the help though, really appreciate it, the "Watch PC" image was very helpful!

Guest asrequested

It sounds like you need to add the remote. If you use the windows app, it'll tell if it's added and what you need to do.

thelangs

Just a thought, not sure if you are using the mobile app to do all activity/device additions or the desktop myharmony program. To get Bluetooth devices  to work, you can only use the mobile app. When you add an activity (watch PC), the mobile app will start the blue tooth sync process. After the activity is complete, then you can use the myharmony program to do any modifications you want (shortcuts, etc).

Guest asrequested

To setup a new remote, you have to use the desktop app. And then setup Bluetooth with the mobile app.

thelangs

Not really true, you can "pair" a new remote with the mobile app ( its under "harmony setup" .. "remote&hub".

thelangs

Just tried the mobile (andriod) app again and it paired/synced the remote just fine..

My Logitech hub/remote is brand new..  Perhaps an older version issue ?

lightsout

I also did the bluetooth pairing through the app. I use the app always besides the first time I set it up. I had a ton of issues trying to use a PC with IR. Couldn't get it to work, but as soon as I got a bluetooth dongle it worked straight away.

Guest asrequested

I'm not talking about the Bluetooth pairing. I'm talking about adding a remote. But it sounds like you don't want to use the desktop app. I was updating an elite for someone on the weekend, and I had to use the desktop app for some of it, because the mobile app didn't have the options I needed.

Guest asrequested

The Bluetooth pairing is just pairing the hub to the computer. It has nothing to do with the remote. Pairing the remote to the hub is a separate process. I find the mobile app isn't as good as the desktop app. And everything works perfectly, for me.

lightsout

The Bluetooth pairing is just pairing the hub to the computer. It has nothing to do with the remote. Pairing the remote to the hub is a separate process. I find the mobile app isn't as good as the desktop app. And everything works perfectly, for me.

But don't you have to plug the hub into the pc every time, Or can you do it over wifi after the initial?

Guest asrequested

But don't you have to plug the hub into the pc every time, Or can you do it over wifi after the initial?

No, only the first time. Once everything is added, you're good. It syncs via their server.

lightsout

No, only the first time. Once everything is added, you're good. It syncs via their server.

Just to be clear we're talking ab out the same thing. You  can edit the remote from your desktop over wifi?

thelangs

hmmm..  When I  press "sync" on the desktop app, I get two options (1) use the mobile app, (2) Plug the hub into the computer via USB.  I don't see a wi-fi option.

Logitech support:

Changes made on MyHarmony desktop software must be manually synced to your remote or hub; however, changes made directly on the remote or Harmony mobile app will automatically sync to the Harmony cloud.

Guest asrequested

Just to be clear we're talking ab out the same thing. You can edit the remote from your desktop over wifi?

Yes. I edit everything in the desktop app.

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

hmmm.. When I press "sync" on the desktop app, I get two options (1) use the mobile app, (2) Plug the hub into the computer via USB. I don't see a wi-fi option.

Logitech support:

Changes made on MyHarmony desktop software must be manually synced to your remote or hub; however, changes made directly on the remote or Harmony mobile app will automatically sync to the Harmony cloud.

Actually, now I think about I may have synchronized it with the mobile app, but I made the changes in the desktop app. Logitech really don't have everything dialed in, yet. Edited by Doofus

thelangs

that's now correct, when you sync you (1) use the mobile app or (2) plug in the hub.   Mobile option seems the easiest choice.

Edited by thelangs

Guest asrequested

again where's the wi-fi sync option on the desktop program

I'm not in front of it, but I believe it's in the remote home page.

lightsout

Even if I could edit on the desktop and sync it somehow through the phone I would prefer that. But I ditched the desktop app because I didn't want to plug in the hub every time.

Guest asrequested

Even if I could edit on the desktop and sync it somehow through the phone I would prefer that. But I ditched the desktop app because I didn't want to plug in the hub every time.

And that's probably what Logitech, wants. But I mapped a lot of buttons on multiple remotes. I tried doing that on the mobile app, and it was taking forever. Much easier in the desktop app. And when I was updating someone's elite on Sunday, I needed to change the touch screen buttons. And in the mobile app, it gave me no option to do that, and I was forced to use the desktop app. And I remember now, that I did have to sync it with the mobile app. Logitech just hasn't found synergy, yet.

Oh, and anyone trying to pair a hub with a shield tv, good luck. That's problematic. Mine at home took many attempts, but the one o installed on the weekend, it wouldn't pair at all. Apparently, it's quite a common problem.

lightsout

And that's probably what Logitech, wants. But I mapped a lot of buttons on multiple remotes. I tried doing that on the mobile app, and it was taking forever. Much easier in the desktop app. And when I was updating someone's elite on Sunday, I needed to change the touch screen buttons. And in the mobile app, it gave me no option to do that, and I was forced to use the desktop app. And I remember now, that I did have to sync it with the mobile app. Logitech just hasn't found synergy, yet.

Oh, and anyone trying to pair a hub with a shield tv, good luck. That's problematic. Mine at home took many attempts, but the one o installed on the weekend, it wouldn't pair at all. Apparently, it's quite a common problem.

Can you explain how you use the desktop app and the mobile app together?

As far as the Shield I have been using my harmony hub with the Shield for a year or so. It may have given me a little gruff when setting it up, but I used the app, just needed to get bluetooth paired on the Shield, I remember it shows up like a Logitech Keyboard.

thelangs

No problems with connecting shieldTV using the mobile app. Just followed the mobile app instructions, and it connected perfectly

Michael.D.Pine

As far as the Shield I have been using my harmony hub with the Shield for a year or so. It may have given me a little gruff when setting it up, but I used the app, just needed to get bluetooth paired on the Shield, I remember it shows up like a Logitech Keyboard.

Oh geez, when i restarted the hub, it wasn't showing up as a harmony hub anymore it was showing up as a Harmony keyboard and I think I confused that with my Logitech keyboard/mouse which is connected via a seperate receiver, ahhhh it's all too much the world is falling in :)

Will be back at it tonight, just got into work and catching up on the thread. Tonight though I think I am going to be blowing away my Harmony account, it won't effect my existing old connection with a new account, going to reset everything and start again from scratch. I think I am understanding when you are both saying about the sync, but it is a pretty horrible ecosystem at the moment. The desktop app is definately easier to use but then it seems the mobile app is easier to integrate everything. Can't wait until I finally can press a key on the remote and something happens on the PC :)

Guest asrequested

You can run both apps at the same time. All the info is store on their server. So as soon as you save the settings in ether app, you can sync. So what I had to do was make my configuration in the PC app, then just hit sync on the mobile app. You can make changes when you're not in your own network, and just log in to the cloud. Not sure if you can sync, though. If the mobile app was quicker and you could everything the PC can do, it would be better. But Logitech seem to be dropping the ball a little.