Folder (Mis-)Identified As TV Series - How To Undo?

tiorsus

tiorsus

Using Emby Server 4.0.2.0 on QNap, I have a library denoted as "Mixed Content."  When I browse via "Sort By = Folders," most items appear as desired: I can explore the folders as they're stored on the NAS, & titles/covers corresponding to video files are shown per the metadata pulled from online sources.  However, there's just one strange "folder" I can't get to behave as intended.

The folder on the NAS is called "_TV_," and has a mix of some random, not-yet-sorted, individual TV episodes - like this: (removed).  Emby has identified it as a season of the show "Scream," like this: (removed). When I access it, I can't tell what anything actually is as it thinks the files are all episodes of Scream: (removed).

I'm sure there's a simple solution for this - but I've looked around, tried to Edit Metadata & remove all the autopopulated Scream-related stuff, etc - but I can't seem to get this one folder to show the actual files it contains.

If anyone has experience with this kind of thing...I'd appreciate some pointers :)

Edited by CBers
Links removed.

Hi.  For completely un-sorted items in the same folder, you may have to use the Home Videos content type to keep something from matching the Movie or TV logic.

tiorsus

...But if I change the whole library to Home Videos, would that not break recognition for everything else throughout the entire library? The library has thousands of other properly-identified items - both movies and shows.  There are also a couple other unsorted folders like this which *aren't* mis-identified as something it isn't, like this folder.  Surely there's something better than the nuclear option of "make it recognize nothing at all, just so it doesn't mis-identify this one folder"...?  Something like "omit metadata lookup for this one folder"...??

Then what you might want to do is reorganize the tv folders with proper series folders and that should prevent it from being matched as a movie.

tiorsus

This folder is my "working directory" for single individual episodes I've recently obtained just to check out - i.e. I don't have the full or even partial series, I may just have one episode each from 20 different serieses.  Having to put each individual file in its own separate subfolder seems pretty cumbersome.  Is there really no way to just tell it "don't match this one folder" or "exclude this one folder from metadata lookup" or even "you've misidentified this folder - try again?"

Note that I do have many higher-level folders that it doesn't misidentify as a series or movie, as those folder contains *other* serieses or movies (like this one).  i.e. Library/Japanese/Drama/... - it doesn't identify the "Japanese" or "Drama" folders as some individual series, but shows them and their contents as just the names.  There are also some other "bottom-level" folders that it didn't identify, and which it then simply shows as folder & file name.  I'm just trying to get it to do the same with this one: this is a "higher-level folder" that contains other items, rather than a single series, as it has been identified.

Right i understand, but it doesn't fully conform to our supported naming conventions, therefore you have to assume there will be quirks.

tiorsus

...So there's no way to just tell it "don't match this one folder" or "exclude this one folder from metadata lookup" or "show this folder as files rather than by metadata?"

Here's an example: this is a bottom-level folder that contains individual files: (removed), which it hasn't identified as anything, & therefore just shows the original filenames: (removed).

To me that implies there *must* just be a simple flag somewhere that says "couldn't be identified, show filenames."  How can I set that so this _TV_ folder behaves the same?

Edited by CBers
Links removed.

There currently isn't a way, at least not prior to the scan happening. That example was not ignored, it just couldn't find any internet metadata so that's why you just see file names.

tiorsus

>>it just couldn't find any internet metadata so that's why you just see file names.

Right, I understand - my point is that the software clearly has a way to say "if no suitable metadata, show filenames."  So somewhere in the database, there is something that's telling it to show this folder as just filenames - whether it's a simple flag that tells it "tried to find metadata but couldn't, so show filenames" or just implicit from the fact that there isn't metadata. I tired to do the latter by "Edit Metadata" & removing what it had filled in, but that didn't work.  But there *is* something, somewhere, that enables it to show a folder this way.  How can I set that?

(Although it seems like this would be a very useful & very easy frontend thing to have, I understand if it isn't available - and am willing to just edit the database etc to do it.  This folder was just one example, but there are others that I can never view with Emby due to this same issue - & it would be nice to actually be able to access my full library...without having to do the "nuclear" approach of setting the entire thing to Home Videos, aka either 100% metadata or 0% :P)

• Like 1

There isn't' really a simple flag like that. There are values which initially get initialized based on data from the file names, then later it gets replaced by internet metadata - or not, if nothing was found, or if it is disabled.

tiorsus

...Would it be possible to request this as an option?  Even without any changes to the UI it seems like this would be pretty dang easy implementation-wise - ie. if a special-named file is in the folder, could skip metadata lookup just based on that.  Sort of like the .nomedia file in Android, which tells galleries to ignore a folder, an i.e. .nometa file could say "just use filenames."

(It's hard to imagine that this scenario doesn't come up very frequently - the ability to force it not to (mis-)identify a given folder.  Solved by a one-line conditional in the code that walks the directory tree & does the meta lookups? :) )

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
tiorsus

So in an attempt to make the TV folder viewable, I did try to create a separate library for just that subfolder, of type "Home Videos & Photos" (as suggested by Chief Bottle Washer).  Unfortunately, it's still mangling the names of subfolders of that folder.  Any other way to avoid this?  It's really quite a problem to be unable to tell what anything in that folder is...

For clarity, what I have is:

/volume/Media              //This is a Movies & TV library

/volume/Media/TV        //Properly sorted/named, properly indentified

/volume/Media/Movies //Properly sorted/named, properly identified

/volume/Media/Incoming //Contains random not-yet-sorted incoming files; misidentified by Emby & impossible to view, due to not being able to see 'unmangled' filenames

So in addition to the main library pointing to /volume/Media, I created another library pointing to /volume/Media/Incoming, of type Home Videos & Photos.  Even when accessing that Home Videos & Photos library, it's not showing original filenames (and any subfolders of Incoming also don't reflect the real names of those dirs).

Happy2Play

You can not point to a parent folder as that library includes all subfolders, so /volume/Media already contains /volume/Media/Incoming (unless these are just examples).

tiorsus

The parent folder library (/Media) works; it's the sub-folder library that doesn't.

So you're saying if I have one library at a parent and one library at a subfolder, Emby will ignore the content type of the library set to the subfolder - even when accessing the subfolder via that library?

Happy2Play

The parent folder library (/Media) works; it's the sub-folder library that doesn't.

So you're saying if I have one library at a parent and one library at a subfolder, Emby will ignore the content type of the library set to the subfolder - even when accessing the subfolder via that library?

No Emby will try and identify everything within /Media.

So you would want to make three libraries /Media/TV content type tv, /Media/Movies content type movies, and /Media/Incoming content type home videos.  Incoming should be presented as is, but it is hard to say exactly not knowing structure and content.

The only way to ignore a subfolder is put a ".ignore" file in that subfolder and Emby should ignore everything within that folder.

tiorsus

The only way to ignore a subfolder is put a ".ignore" file in that subfolder and Emby should ignore everything within that folder.

Wait....ignore as in completely don't show it?  Or ignore as in show it as actual filenames/foldernames (but not try to scrape the data), which would be exactly what I was trying to do.

This isn't being actively tested so right now I'm not sure what would happen there, other than probably something unexpected. I would either make the change at the top level, or not have a library pointing to the top level.

Happy2Play

Home Video and Pholos library does not do metadata, besides what you add to them manually.

You can disable metadata providers on any library also but you are still restricted to library content type.

Edited by Happy2Play

I would think you can use an nfo file with just the lockdata node, but locked is not exactly the same as no internet metadata. But it's not too far off. @@Happy2Play might be interested in playing with that.

tiorsus

Home Video and Pholos library does not do metadata, besides what you add to them manually.

You can disable metadata providers on any library also but you are still restricted to library content type.

Understood.  Per the discussion above, what I'm trying to accomplish is a library that does Movies & TV metadata for everything EXCEPT a few specific subfolders.  i.e. something like ".ignore," where only the scraper ignores those subdirs, so Emby shows them by raw filename/dirname.  But just those subdirs - not the whole library.