Thoughts On The Best Emby App And Best Streaming Device Please!

Gaz

EODCrafter

This was about using it as a client not a server.

Krs

Mark

Sry..Works great for Server too. Streaming Device thru me off....

Edited by EODCrafter

• 5 months later...
slidvendetta

Nvidia Shield. Especially since they are still keeping it updated. I think it's the longest supported Android device ever. We have Shields on all of our TVs. It's worth the money.

BillOatman

Yes, Xiamoi Mi Box (from Walmart).  You can get a USB ethernet dongle if you require a hard line (the dongles work great, btw).

Yes, AndroidTV version, though you won't have a choice since it's the only version in the app store if you go there from the shield.

Depends on whether the game supports ATV, some do, but certainly not all.  There are also some very good games made solely for ATV.

Have fun!

If I get a Mi box S that currently has android tv 8.1, will it update to android tv 9?  Or will it be at 8.1 forever?

Anyone use a Pendoo box?  Same price as the Xiaomi, but has android tv 9 now as well as a remote with numbers on it and a wifi antenna.

Edited by BillOatman

mastrmind11

If I get a Mi box S that currently has android tv 8.1, will it update to android tv 9?  Or will it be at 8.1 forever?

Anyone use a Pendoo box?  Same price as the Xiaomi, but had android tv 9 now.

the updates lag behind nvidia, but they have happened in the past.

• Like 1

BillOatman

the updates lag behind nvidia, but they have happened in the past.

Thanks.  Got a Mi Box S today. A bit slower than the shield, but for a third of the price and on a tv I don't use all the time, it works for me.

Emby installs and runs great so far  But I can't find the amazon prime app in google store like I did on the shield.

Do I really need to use that downloader app and sideload it for the Mi?

mastrmind11

Thanks.  Got a Mi Box S today. A bit slower than the shield, but for a third of the price and on a tv I don't use all the time, it works for me.

Emby installs and runs great so far  But I can't find the amazon prime app in google store like I did on the shield.

Do I really need to use that downloader app and sideload it for the Mi?

hasn't made it to the Mi yet.  Should be coming though.

Gilgamesh_48

All this talk about various Android devices is all well and good but, for me, overall the best platform for Emby is the Roku Ultra. I have Fire TVs and Shield TVs but the Ultra is always my goto device. When the Android devices had problems with various audio streams and had to be "fixed" the Ultra just kept quietly streaming everything I threw at it.

Yes there were/are some streams that require transcoding but a lot of that is my fault in that I am too lazy to get some of the old movie and shows I have in a completely compatible format so I let the Emby server do the work.

I do not use advanced video or audio as my old eyes and ears do not see or hear any real difference so I cannot comment with certainty about those but I have seen reports that most of the advanced streams are well handled by the Ultra.

To add to that it is my belief that the Emby app on the Roku platform is better than it is on all the Android based platforms. It is smooth and pretty much glitch free.

I use the Ultra for almost all my streaming, particularly for Emby, because it simply works and works very well.

Edit to add: There are many ways to get and activate an Ultra in the UK. Everything from using a VPN to spoof a US address to actually using a UK Roku account will get your Roku activated. Roku even will put an Ultra on a UK account if they are asked to do so I have heard. As far as actually getting one there are many sources from Ebay to private individuals that are selling their Rokus. Roku has to allow for those that live in the US and move to the UK.

Just because Roku and Amazon are failing to sell Roku Ultras in the UK does not mean that they are not available or will not work. Also, even if you cannot use the UK Roku app store does not mean many/most apps will not work. There is a huge number of apps, including Emby I believe, that are flagged "rest of the world" and they work anywhere.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

BillOatman

All this talk about various Android devices is all well and good but, for me, overall the best platform for Emby is the Roku Ultra. I have Fire TVs and Shield TVs but the Ultra is always my goto device. When the Android devices had problems with various audio streams and had to be "fixed" the Ultra just kept quietly streaming everything I threw at it.

Yes there were/are some streams that require transcoding but a lot of that is my fault in that I am too lazy to get some of the old movie and shows I have in a completely compatible format so I let the Emby server do the work.

I do not use advanced video or audio as my old eyes and ears do not see or hear any real difference so I cannot comment with certainty about those but I have seen reports that most of the advanced streams are well handled by the Ultra.

To add to that it is my belief that the Emby app on the Roku platform is better than it is on all the Android based platforms. It is smooth and pretty much glitch free.

I use the Ultra for almost all my streaming, particularly for Emby, because it simply works and works very well.

Edit to add: There are many ways to get and activate an Ultra in the UK. Everything from using a VPN to spoof a US address to actually using a UK Roku account will get your Roku activated. Roku even will put an Ultra on a UK account if they are asked to do so I have heard. As far as actually getting one there are many sources from Ebay to private individuals that are selling their Rokus. Roku has to allow for those that live in the US and move to the UK.

Just because Roku and Amazon are failing to sell Roku Ultras in the UK does not mean that they are not available or will not work. Also, even if you cannot use the UK Roku app store does not mean many/most apps will not work. There is a huge number of apps, including Emby I believe, that are flagged "rest of the world" and they work anywhere.

I have a Roku 3 and a ultra.  I just replaced the ultra with the Mi box.  Roku works fine, but I find even the ultra to be horribly slow, particularly with the live TV guide and starting IPTV channels (my primary use case).  This Mi Box S I got yesterday costs about the same as a ultra, and works better IMO.  Caveat, I only got it yesterday :)  Only weirdness with it so far is I had to sideload the Prime Video app where on the Shield and my Roku's you just install it.

Edited by BillOatman

Gilgamesh_48

I have a Roku 3 and a ultra.  I just replaced the ultra with the Mi box.  Roku works fine, but I find even the ultra to be horribly slow, particularly with the live TV guide and starting IPTV channels (my primary use case).  This Mi Box S I got yesterday costs about the same as a ultra, and works better IMO.  Caveat, I only got it yesterday :)  Only weirdness with it so far is I had to sideload the Prime Video app where on the Shield and my Roku's you just install it.

That is not my experience at all. My Ultras are snappy and quick to load anything asked of them.

I use all my regular devices with a wired connection as I consider wireless unreliable.

I also use the Emby beta app. It has a LOT of improvements and,  if it is ever needed, I can always use the regular app to get by.

Everyone that is interested needs to test devices and not completely trust others as usage cases and setups vary and nobody can say for sure how a given device may perform in a given setup without testing.

I have tested a Mi box and, in my environment it was severely wanting. It also was connected wired but it kept dropping network connection and, if streaming could actually get started, it failed withing minutes.

Clearly my experience with the Mi box was not representative but I could not return it fast enough.

I am very happy with my Ultras but I would also be content with my Shield TV or my Fire TV. They all work well but the Ultras just shine above the others.

Edit to add: Live TV, for me, is never used. Even my Sling TV use is only for the DVR ability. I never watch anything "live" as I prefer to watch on my time not the TV stations.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

BillOatman

Edit to add: Live TV, for me, is never used. Even my Sling TV use is only for the DVR ability. I never watch anything "live" as I prefer to watch on my time not the TV stations.

This is the big difference between us.  For recordings I agree, my ultra was just fine.  I watch a lot of sports live via IPTV.

Gilgamesh_48

This is the big difference between us.  For recordings I agree, my ultra was just fine.  I watch a lot of sports live via IPTV.

I watch a lot of sports but the only thing I have watched live was the recent Women's World Cup. Everything else I much prefer to watch on DVR or, in the case of services like ESPN that try to not allow recording, I use their "On Demand" features.

I just dislike not being able to pause when I need to or, should I need to do something else, resume where I left off. I guess the "need instant gratification gene" is unusually weak in me or it has weakened with age. All I want now is to have something good and interesting to watch when I want to watch it.

But this is exactly why I REALLY like the choices we have today with Emby and other services. Everyone can have different tastes and desires and find a way to fulfill them. The only things that Emby lacks now is the "Get me a beer" app and the "Fix supper" app.

I want to sit in my chair and only have to move for bathroom breaks. They can hold off on the "Insert catheter" app as that would be a little too intrusive. ;):rolleyes:

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

I think you can pause live TV, but I have never tried it.

Probably but the time of a pause is usually limited. I can pause live TV in Sling but after about 30 minutes it starts playing. I find the pausing of live TV almost as useless as live TV itself.

I'll just stick with recordings and on demand they wrk well and correctly for me.

• 2 weeks later...
tdiguy

My house is all mi box 3's well, 3 of them anyway. We don't have a fancy setup with sound amps of any sort just the tv speakers. I have had no real issues with them except for in my daughters room for a while. I probably should have assumed these devices have heat issues right from the start with how small they are. I had her mi box mounted to the back of her tv which was also right where the heat exhaust is from the tv. For a while it had issues freezing up and being slow to respond. I moved it to simply being mounted to the wall with some really strong double sided tape ( up to 10lbs per inch ) its been there for almost a year now, kinda surprised the tape has held. 

Given the price of the mi box the other cheap android boxes aren't worth considering, it can be a real gamble with them just on what OS they run sometimes they run android tv sometimes they run a bastardized android os thats tweeked which means support for apps right from the app store can be hit or miss. 

Now as far as mi box or shield goes, thats different, the shield is significantly more expensive, but it also does quite a bit more and is more capable. If you have a fancy audio setup with amps and such I would bet the shield would be a better choice. If you want to play around with a retro arcade, also a shield would be a better choice. 

If you have a simple setup and plan to use it almost exclusively for emby the mi box will work just fine and be much easier on your wallet.

clarkss12

Everyone has a preference on which device makes the best Emby app and hardware.  I have many different client hardware connected to my TV, including an Nvidia Shield, miniPC running Windows 10, and an cheapie Android box running CoreELEC.  I made a video showing what Emby looks like running on those 3 devices.

For a disclaimer, Beelink gave me the Beelink J45 miniPC and the Beelink GT-King Android box.  I am using the J45 as my Emby server and the GT-King as my client running the Embuary skin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N2Fv0pkVVc

Sammy

Me and mine are apple tv fans.  I haven't used the Nvidia Shield, although I hear that is the best and most compatible.  But for WAF, it's tough to beat the Apple TV despite the dastardly remotes desire to always play hide and seek.

:huh: Why?

legallink

:huh: Why?

Simplicity.  She can cast from her phone without a blink, the UI on the Apple TV as a whole is very "pretty" and streamlined (in and out of Emby).  She loves the design of the product as well as the touch screen interface on the remote (as well as the ability to use her iphone as a remote).  Within Emby (or any other app), we rarely have a problem.  Just plug it in and for the most part it works.  That being said, we've had little hiccups here and there, but she hasn't cared enough to even complain.

Historically, with the other things we have tried, the biggest frustration has always been the lag/delay/remotes.  The compatibility with the phones is a +1.

I won't get into other issues, but those are the ones that mostly apply to the WAF.

- EDIT - From a basis perspective, we've used Roku, HTPC with logitech harmony remotes, and chromecast.

Edited by legallink

vdatanet

Apple TV 4K is a good mediabox. Our family uses it daily, each member has their own device. We have a lot of material purchased from iTunes, the photo library, Apple Music ... and other applications such as Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime...

It makes sense for Apple users to use Apple TV. But the Emby application is not live up to the device. So we need the Nvidia Shield as an Emby client. So every Apple TV I own has a shield by its side, used only for Emby App.

When Emby for Apple TV fixes the problems it has, I will sell all my shields. I may keep one for testing purposes.

P.D. Every day I am less sure that this happens (Emby for Apple TV improvement), if after a while things remain the same, I will have to find another piece of software that suits my needs. Before leaving Apple's ecosystem, to my regret (because I like the server, community, developers hear users ...) I will leave Emby. I suspect that other Apple users think something similar.

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

P.D. Every day I am less sure that this happens (Emby for Apple TV improvement), if after a while things remain the same, I will have to find another piece of software that suits my needs. Before leaving Apple's ecosystem, to my regret (because I like the server, community, developers hear users ...) I will leave Emby. I suspect that other Apple users think something similar.

Can you go into more detail on these points? I am not versed at all in anything Apple.

But can you list some issues with pictures and maybe even give a small review of where you think the problems lie? Sort of like give yourself room to just think of everywhere you think it fails you. Without such a list there is just guesswork at where the rough corners are to proceed to sand them. We want the same thing you do. But without knowing exactly what you want we can just guess and assume we want the same thing. Maybe there is a difference? Seeing pictures and knowing where/how/why will help produce the effect you want. Rather than just discourage developers give them tools they need to do better. Point out where you want priority and where you want things resolved.

Don't rush into this either and use emotion. Just make a well thought out post with some pictures, some comments, and a review where Emby on Apple TV needs to focus to improve. Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

vdatanet

Can you go into more detail on these points? I am not versed at all in anything Apple.

But what exactly do you think the pain points are? Can you provide screen shots of the Apple TV app where it lacks and from other apps where you show what you expect? Text can only convey a small part of the bigger picture. The actual images leave no room for doubt and will immediately make apparent what you mean. Otherwise people may think you are just spoiled. Since the majority on Apple are just spoiled white people or people who want to act like spoiled white people. Not knocking you either. But Apple is a white person device. To own it makes you look like you wish you were white if you are not. Just happens. Just a fact.

Not racist on this either I only have white friends who own iPhone. I am also white. But I dislike the stigma others give to those not white when they see them holding an iPhone. Some of my friends look at them and make comments like, "probably stole it" or "no wonder its an old iphone 4". I have to chime in with, "yeah.. Apple is expensive knucklehead. he thinks you guys are cool so wants to come along. Don't knock him because Apple makes prices so ridiculous for their 3x profit markup. Just suck it up you guys paid 3x more than you should've too. He got his on the used market. He is smarter.". Then they look at me and ask why I don't have a cellphone. I remind them they are expensive and a burden. I've never had one.. lol.

But can you list some issues with pictures and maybe even give a small review of where you think the problems lie? Sort of like give yourself room to just think of everywhere you think it fails you. Without such a list there is just guesswork at where the rough corners are to proceed to sand them. We want the same thing you do. But without knowing exactly what you want we can just guess and assume we want the same thing. Maybe there is a difference? Seeing pictures and knowing where/how/why will help produce the effect you want. Rather than just discourage developers give them tools they need to do better. Point out where you want priority and where you want things resolved.

Don't rush into this either and use emotion. Just make a well thought out post with some pictures, some comments, and a review where Emby on Apple TV needs to focus to improve. Thanks. :)

You only need to visit the Apple TV testing forum and you will see that I have published hundreds of posts, images and videos. I consider myself a pretty active beta tester and I don't consider myself a spoiled child. I think that the shortcomings of the Apple TV application have nothing to do with whether I am white, black, rich or poor.

This post is a good summary of what I am talking about:

I simply want to say that the Emby app for Apple TV is the least advanced of Emby's client applications.

I do not go into details here, because this is a general discussion forum, for more details check out the forum: Testing Area - Apple TV.
Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

You only need to visit the Apple TV testing forum and you will see that I have published hundreds of posts, images and videos. I consider myself a pretty active beta tester and I don't consider myself a spoiled child. I think that the shortcomings of the Apple TV application have nothing to do with whether I am white, black, rich or poor.

This post is a good summary of what I am talking about:

I simply want to say that the Emby app for Apple TV is the least advanced of Emby's client applications.

I do not go into details here, because this is a general discussion forum, for more details check out the forum: Testing Area - Apple TV.

Then you sir seem far more educated on your choice than the average consumer. I meant no disrespect at all. That topic also means you guys already have your "demand letter" written so to speak which is what I wanted since you said you were leaving because of faults of Apple TV. Not out of choice but because of inaction. I understand. We need to know what people consider "deal breakers" or things that are... the final straw on the camels back.

Not the big huge everybody sees it type bugs, because frankly everybody sees those...

Those small nagging ones.. where you feel it has been forever and you are still seeing X happen.

What is X?

You can say here of all your top pet peeves on Emby on Apple TV. What is the #1 thing you feel is the biggest offender in the Apple TV application? Where is the biggest gap between user satisfaction and developer satisfaction to you? Where is the largest discord happening keeping you from enjoying Emby on Apple TV? Knowing this helps guide the importance of where Emby developers want to be versus where users want to be. It helps become a spotlight to the real issue not just "the issues". It helps turn this into seeing the forest for the trees. I am sure you understand. We want to know which tree in the forest is the most disturbing not the overall health of the forest. Then you water/target that tree specifically once you know.

What is your biggest gripe about Apple Tv. Largest. Most problematic. You can say here since already this thread is discuss which is best and why. We are doing that. We wont go into verbose detail about every crack in Apple Tv it appears you are already doing that. Lets get to the giant potholes though. Where is the biggest one? Thanks. ^_^

Edited by speechles

Sammy

I'd leave the apple ecosystem way before I left Emby.. oh wait, I have never owned an iDevice so I'm covered!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by Sammy

vdatanet

Then you sir seem far more educated on your choice than the average consumer. I meant no disrespect at all. That topic also means you guys already have your "demand letter" written so to speak which is what I wanted since you said you were leaving because of faults of Apple TV. Not out of choice but because of inaction. I understand. We need to know what people consider "deal breakers" or things that are... the final straw on the camels back.

Not the big huge everybody sees it type bugs, because frankly everybody sees those...

Those small nagging ones.. where you feel it has been forever and you are still seeing X happen.

What is X?

You can say here of all your top pet peeves on Emby on Apple TV. What is the #1 thing you feel is the biggest offender in the Apple TV application? Where is the biggest gap between user satisfaction and developer satisfaction to you? Where is the largest discord happening keeping you from enjoying Emby on Apple TV? Knowing this helps guide the importance of where Emby developers want to be versus where users want to be. It helps become a spotlight to the real issue not just "the issues". It helps turn this into seeing the forest for the trees. I am sure you understand. We want to know which tree in the forest is the most disturbing not the overall health of the forest. Then you water/target that tree specifically once you know.

What is your biggest gripe about Apple Tv. Largest. Most problematic. You can say here since already this thread is discuss which is best and why. We are doing that. We wont go into verbose detail about every crack in Apple Tv it appears you are already doing that. Lets get to the giant potholes though. Where is the biggest one? Thanks. ^_^

The biggest issue for me is 4K HDR Playback

Emby looks like this playing 4K HDR Movies:

5d61d3d2567c3_Capturadepantalla20190825a

And it should look like this:

5d61d40600da7_Capturadepantalla20190825a

I reported this on December 2018.

I don't want to discuss whether 4K HDR playback is worth it or not. Simply note that the Emby app for Apple TV cannot play those files correctly.

I love the Emby server, its community and most of its applications. But I hate this inconvenience of the app for Apple TV. Apple TV is my main device and I have more and more 4K HDR content so this is a big issue for me.

Keep in mind that English is not my native language, and I may seem aggressive, but I am not. I'm very happy with Emby Server.  :D

Edited by vdatanet

Guest asrequested

The biggest issue for me is 4K HDR Playback

Emby looks like this playing 4K HDR Movies:

5d61d3d2567c3_Capturadepantalla20190825a

And it should look like this:

5d61d40600da7_Capturadepantalla20190825a

I reported this on December 2018.

I don't want to discuss whether 4K HDR playback is worth it or not. Simply note that the Emby app for Apple TV cannot play those files correctly.

I love the Emby server, its community and most of its applications. But I hate this inconvenience of the app for Apple TV. Apple TV is my main device and I have more and more 4K HDR content so this is a big issue for me.

Keep in mind that English is not my native language, and I may seem aggressive, but I am not. I'm very happy with Emby Server.  :D

That's nuts! Debanding is a staple in mpv, and I suspect that the colorspace is all wrong, too. 10 bit support has only just been given a PR (OS X only). So those three combined not being used/present, will have horrendous results.

Edited by Doofus

vdatanet

That's nuts! Debanding is a staple in mpv, and I suspect that the colorspace is all wrong, too. 10 bit support has only just been given a PR (OS X only). So those three combined not being used/present, will have horrendous results.

Those files are played on the same device, the first with Emby and the second with Infuse. Both use mpv. There is no mpv build for tvOS, I guess the key is how they build the custom version of mpv for tvOS from source code.