Audio codec logo, etc

jsc1205

jsc1205

I've been using Plex for some time now but still like the visual display that Kodi provides.  Would like to know if Emby will ever start to use logos for such things as the audio format/codec (Atmos, DTS X, etc), format (bluray, DVD, 4K bluray, etc).....

Only asking because visually, its appealing and also allows for the user to readily see what the formats are.  

Thanks

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

schmitty

I think the OP means, displaying the codec logos instead of text on the info screens... without the need to use CoverArt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

jsc1205

What I mean is using the actual logo for DTS-X, Dolby Atmos etc instead of just plain old text. This included format such as bluray, DVD, etc. I know the format one is on the cover art plugin but not referring to that. You wouldnt need to use the case art.

• Like 1

CoverArt can also put the audio codecs on there for you.

Today's design trends are away from graphics like that and more towards text. 

• Like 1

EMC and the themes for it will do this in WMC. However I believe FFProbe which determines the formats does not do the specifics like DTS-X and DTS-MA. For me I like the logos as they appear in EMC.

jsc1205

When I asked the Plex folks about they said the same thing regarding using text over logos. From a design/looks standpoint personally it looks better with a logo.

I use the Shield TV Pro and have tried Emby on it and to me personally it just looks bland. Also, is there a way to change the neon green highlight color when moving around in Emby???

I really prefer to not use the cover art but rather just the poster.

schmitty

I agree. The media info icons look much better. There is too much in the way of text. Perhaps, an option could be added to choose whether to display media info as text or icons.

jsc1205

Hopefully the Emby folks can implement the logos with the ability to use them or not like you suggest. Kodi has it and the ability so why not Emby?

Happy2Play

Options are good but every client/app is different.  How about an example of what you are requesting.

jsc1205

Options are good but every client/app is different.  How about an example of what you are requesting.

Here is just an example of the logos that one skin from Kodi is using.  Click the link below to see what I'm talking about.  Take a look at the logos at the bottom of the images (there are monochrome versions and colored versions) which show format, resolution, video codec, audio codec, channel numbers, etc.

https://imgur.com/a/V7NZZUR#PMLsucW

Edited by jsc1205
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

Right specific to the skin is the issue as where would they go in Emby?  I see how they could work on the OSD though.

5c7492eac6cd0_image.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

jsc1205

For example, use the image below.  Replace the text "1080" and "Dolby 5.1" with the media flag logos.  You could probably even use the media flag logo files that are in the previous link I provided since many of the files associated with the custom Kodi skins are on github where the skin downloads are.

5c7494927d088_atv3.png

• Like 2

schmitty

Here is just an example of the logos that one skin from Kodi is using. Click the link below to see what I'm talking about. Take a look at the logos at the bottom of the images (there are monochrome versions and colored versions) which show format, resolution, video codec, audio codec, channel numbers, etc.

https://imgur.com/a/V7NZZUR#PMLsucW

This is exactly what I was thinking. Displayed below language selection drop downs and above synopses. Also, rework language selection to only display language, no codec/channel information. The current display is clunky.

Edited by schmitty

adamstewiegreen

For example, use the image below.  Replace the text "1080" and "Dolby 5.1" with the media flag logos.  You could probably even use the media flag logo files that are in the previous link I provided since many of the files associated with the custom Kodi skins are on github where the skin downloads are.

5c7494927d088_atv3.png

Why logos?  SD, HD, 480, 720, 1080, Dolby, DTS, stereo, 5.1, 7.1 and CC are all extremely pithy and easy to understand.  I look at that screen shot and I know exactly what to expect from the movie in a glance.

Now one argument is that logos look better, but I disagree.  Logos are designed around a certain product and adding them into the middle of another product can make things look weird.  Plus the ones in your (edit:) jsc1205's example have graphics around them that are distracting (no EQ bars or arrows etc needed) and because they're bigger and they're placed further apart, it's not info at a glance anymore.  And kodi is a bad example, honestly, aesthetically, kodi is a mess to begin with (there isn't a single great skin, embuary and grid come the closest).  I generally like A:Z but look how much crap he has crammed into one screen, in nearly EVERY screenshot (it's a confusing mess).

edit: i think the grey boxes they're in give them an icon feel anyways...

Edited by adamstewiegreen
  • Like 3

schmitty

Why logos? SD, HD, 480, 720, 1080, Dolby, DTS, stereo, 5.1, 7.1 and CC are all extremely pithy and easy to understand. I look at that screen shot and I know exactly what to expect from the movie in a glance.

Now one argument is that logos look better, but I disagree. Logos are designed around a certain product and adding them into the middle of another product can make things look weird. Plus the ones in your (edit:) jsc1205's example have graphics around them that are distracting (no EQ bars or arrows etc needed) and because they're bigger and they're placed further apart, it's not info at a glance anymore. And kodi is a bad example, honestly, aesthetically, kodi is a mess to begin with (there isn't a single great skin, embuary and grid come the closest). I generally like A:Z but look how much crap he has crammed into one screen, in nearly EVERY screenshot (it's a confusing mess).

edit: i think the grey boxes they're in give them an icon feel anyways...

I disagree. There is way too much text in the current Emby info screens. Using media info icons would help clean it up a bit. Having an option in settings to use icons would be better suited, and would make everyone happy, as it would be catering for users who prefer all text, and those who prefer icons.

jsc1205

I totally understand and agree that everyone will have their own opinion and taste, but having an interface that has alot of text is not very appealing. Adding a format logo such as 4K UHD, Bluray, audio format logo, etc would make it look exceptionally better. Heck the logos are on the even on the back of the physical disc covers to enable the buyer to see format, audio, etc.

One other thing that I think should be implemented is the ability for the user to edit the metadata such as audio and video format etc. Reason is if you have a movie that is Dolby Atmos, when scrapped it will probably show as TrueHD. I know for a fact Plex does this since it's only seeing the core. Call me a purist but I would want the interface to show exactly what it should. With the ability to edit this info when setting up your library within the setup function would be extremely helpful, and would not require the user to mess with NFO files, media managers etc. Their is an interface called Zappiti that has this editing capability and it works great.

• Like 1

schmitty

I totally understand and agree that everyone will have their own opinion and taste, but having an interface that has alot of text is not very appealing. Adding a format logo such as 4K UHD, Bluray, audio format logo, etc would make it look exceptionally better. Heck the logos are on the even on the back of the physical disc covers to enable the buyer to see format, audio, etc.

One other thing that I think should be implemented is the ability for the user to edit the metadata such as audio and video format etc. Reason is if you have a movie that is Dolby Atmos, when scrapped it will probably show as TrueHD. I know for a fact Plex does this since it's only seeing the core. Call me a purist but I would want the interface to show exactly what it should. With the ability to edit this info when setting up your library within the setup function would be extremely helpful, and would not require the user to mess with NFO files, media managers etc. Their is an interface called Zappiti that has this editing capability and it works great.

I totally agree with you. The ability to modify the reported codecs in metadata would be good too.

Why logos?  SD, HD, 480, 720, 1080, Dolby, DTS, stereo, 5.1, 7.1 and CC are all extremely pithy and easy to understand.  I look at that screen shot and I know exactly what to expect from the movie in a glance.

I concur with what you said in full but only quoted part of your post.  Logos can be nice, when only one or two are shown side by side.  But when you have resolution, CC, subtitle, language, DTS, AC3, Dolby, 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 etc the logos start to become a mess and look to darn similar.  At a glance would you want to look at different Dolby logos for 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 where the key part (number) is tiny? Not me.

I can very quickly scan a display page in the current apps and see the light grey boxes to pull the key info for that movie and know the rating, resolution, audio channels, audio type, closed captioning quite quickly. It actually stands out quite nicely against the backdrop where the logos would blend in and be much harder to see quickly.

Logos IMHO get hard to clearly see on small devices like mobile phones (plus take up valuable space) or smaller TV when sitting at a distance.  I like INFORMATION in text while saving the graphics for specific movie/show information that is unique to the media.

• Like 1

schmitty

I concur with what you said in full but only quoted part of your post. Logos can be nice, when only one or two are shown side by side. But when you have resolution, CC, subtitle, language, DTS, AC3, Dolby, 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 etc the logos start to become a mess and look to darn similar. At a glance would you want to look at different Dolby logos for 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 where the key part (number) is tiny? Not me.

I can very quickly scan a display page in the current apps and see the light grey boxes to pull the key info for that movie and know the rating, resolution, audio channels, audio type, closed captioning quite quickly. It actually stands out quite nicely against the backdrop where the logos would blend in and be much harder to see quickly.

Logos IMHO get hard to clearly see on small devices like mobile phones (plus take up valuable space) or smaller TV when sitting at a distance. I like INFORMATION in text while saving the graphics for specific movie/show information that is unique to the media.

The problem is the apps aren’t uniform, and don’t all display information screens the same. I use the Xbox One app, and you don’t even get the text in boxes... apart from parental rating and closed caption marks. Even if all apps displayed the info boxes, that would be better than the current way the Xbox app displays things. IMO, all apps should be uniform... even the web app (tv.emby.media) and the built-in web server app (local/external ip:port).

schmitty

We are working to correct the uniformity.

I thought the original idea behind Emby was to use the web app as the base for the other apps... for ui, etc.

I think the "flag ship" release is Android TV. If you pop over to the Android Beta section https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/123-android/

you can see a lot of time and effort has been going into the GUI and navigation keeping in mind how this would look on other devices.

Judging by the way this release has progressed I'd think this design is going to be the "master" that other apps will copy from.