Android Emby Server with VPN

nbat58
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I have installed the latest beta on the Nvidia shield TV and went on to set this up via a browser, all was OK apart from updating the library, I have since then granted access permission for the Emby server, however, I can not see yet whether this has fixed my problem as I have another issue as per below:

I soon as I turned on the Nvidia shield TV VPN Emby sever IP address changed for the shield IP address to the Local IP in the VPN using the :8096, what must I do to either get Emby to lock the shield IP as the one to use or must I set up Emby server over again with the Local IP only?

Many thanks.

• Like 2

I can't see anything in the app refering to a static IP, but I am using a dedicated IP, there is also a LAN bypass in the settings which I can enable but not sure whether this is what I need, there is also server IP lookup option, with three options, use DNS query, use direct IP or the enabled setting use direct IP for stealth only.

Guest asrequested

As long as you can run the Torguard app on the Shield, there shouldn't be any difference in the guide that I posted.

• Like 1

As long as you can run the Torguard app on the Shield, there shouldn't be any difference in the guide that I posted.

Can you please point me to your guide.

I Think I was miss understood, the only thing I want to do is by pass the VPN IP address and use the shield IP address to set up Emby server, is this possible? to recap, I had the Torguard VPN closed, I had installed Emby server the latest version, Emby server recognised the shield IP address and used that to connect adding :8096, then I went on a windows machine to continue setting the server and all was good.

However, once I had turned on the VPN app, the Emby server used the local IP in the Torguard app instead of the Nvidia shield IP, is there a way around this as I am not needing to use the VPN to hide my server.

Thanks for the great Torguard VPN guide and help.

Guest asrequested

So if you don't want to use Torguard, just turn it off. I don't understand what you're trying to do by using Torguard????

I use Torguard to automatically use the VPN for apps that I want to use it with and by pass it and just use the internal IP when required, I don't want to keep turn in Torguard on or off for various apps that goes for Emby server as well.

Guest asrequested

If you're using localhost, you shouldn't have any issues. I haven't used the app in a while, but I don't recall it changing the LAN IP. I'm running TG on pfsense and my LAN is unchanged. Or are you trying to use the online web app?

Guest asrequested

By using the TG app, the entire device is behind the VPN. If you aren't connecting remotely, it makes no difference to emby. Your WAN IP will change and LAN IP will stay the same.

I have the exact same problem with the Nvidia shield. soon as I turn on my VPN it changes the IP of emby server and then none of the clients can connect to it. I believe it uses the external IP after I enable VPN. As soon as I turn off the VPN Emby goes back to normal IP without resetting the server even. The LAN bypass option doesn't work with Emby but it does with Plex.

Edited by Pain

Guest asrequested

I wonder if that's an issue with Android? Have you tried binding the IP? It's in the advanced section, in the server.

Thanks for all your help, is the below right for the access to the server on a windows machine or should the \#! be something else? also how do you know when the library is scanning or not?

• Like 1

The library scanned OK, but I can not see anything on the shield TV when I access the Emby app, yes, the server on the shield is running.

I sould only have one folder for movies and one folder for tv shows, but I see 7 folders for Movies and one for TV Shows, in the manage the server view, I can see the two IP addresses one for local access and one for remote access, the local access IP address is correct.

Under users I can see the shield device that is connected, under library, I can see one folder for movies and one for TV Shows as expected.