#1 arrbee99 ONLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2536 posts
  • Local time: 12:54 PM
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:21 PM

Am just wondering if NextPVR is going to continue being available in the future. Something was mentioned in their forum about your api thing not working with the next v5 version of NPVR, see the end of this thread  https://forums.nextp...754#post529754 Any thoughts ?

Edited by arrbee99, 09 January 2019 - 06:22 PM.

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124367 posts
  • Local time: 08:54 PM

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:28 PM

The plugin has always relied on community help and hopefully that will continue to occur.

#3 sub3 OFFLINE  

sub3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 259 posts
  • LocationNextPVR HQ (New Zealand)

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:14 PM

I wouldn't worry - 4.x is going to continue live (and be updated) for a quite a while alongside 5.x, so you'll have ages before someone needs to update the Emby NextPVR plugin to use the main api.

I'm also available and happy to answer questions on that api for anyone that decides to tackle the update. 

Edited by sub3, 09 January 2019 - 07:15 PM.

• rikiwi and arrbee99 like this

#4 arrbee99 ONLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2536 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:46 PM

Hokey dokey. Thanks very much for that.

#5 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2708 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:54 AM

I wouldn't worry - 4.x is going to continue live (and be updated) for a quite a while alongside 5.x, so you'll have ages before someone needs to update the Emby NextPVR plugin to use the main api.

I'm also available and happy to answer questions on that api for anyone that decides to tackle the update. 

Do you have any info you can share on what's new in V5?  Got any links?

#6 pünktchen ONLINE  

pünktchen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1968 posts
  • Local time: 02:54 AM

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

A documentation about the main api would be nice. The Kodi addon isn't one!

#7 sub3 OFFLINE  

sub3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:39 PM

Do you have any info you can share on what's new in V5?  Got any links?

It's still a work in progress, but I've posted a few bits of info about it at the NextPVR forums. The most significant change is that it's multi-platform. 

#8 sub3 OFFLINE  

sub3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:00 PM

A documentation about the main api would be nice. The Kodi addon isn't one!

The NextPVR project is a hobby for me, and I don't like writing documentation, so no it's not really documented. It is a pretty straight forward api though, and I'm happy to answer anyone's questions. 

For example, the bulk of the things Emby needs to do to interact with NextPVR would be:

Schedule a one off recording from show in guide

Schedule a recurring recording from show in guide
http://127.0.0.1:886...327&format=json (several extra optional parameters to this one, which I can list if Emby want them)

Delete/Cancel a recording
http://127.0.0.1:886...234&format=json

Delete/Cancel a recurring recording
http://127.0.0.1:886...444&format=json

• SHSPVR likes this

#9 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2708 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:19 AM

Is version 5 going to still do the weird thing where it imports the same show already in the guide with a different ID?

#10 dcol OFFLINE  

dcol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • Local time: 05:54 PM
  • LocationTucson, Arizona

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:22 AM

NPVR is amazing software and I run it alongside Emby as my stable primary recording engine and will continue to do so at least as a backup in the future, so it is very important to me for Emby to stay up to date with NPVR. If I had the knowledge, I would help.

• JAJ likes this

#11 sub3 OFFLINE  

sub3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:38 PM

Is version 5 going to still do the weird thing where it imports the same show already in the guide with a different ID?

What's weird about it? It reloads the TV guide whenever it's time to update EPG. It's working as-designed, and works great in NextPVR. Just schedule Emby to update it's EPG soon after NextPVR does. ie, if NextPVR updates at 2:00am, schedule Emby to update at 2:30am. 

#12 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124367 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:40 PM

Well the drawback is that it essentially forces all api consumers to stay in sync immediately following a next pvr refresh.

#13 sub3 OFFLINE  

sub3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:00 PM

That's price you pay trying to integrate with other applications - sometimes you need to fit into the way they work. Not having to worry about existing EPG data allows NextPVR to perform a much cleaner quicker EPG update.

If you wanted Emby to support a more precise notification of when it needed to reload it's EPG from NextPVR, there is a PostUpdateEPG.bat that is called at the end of the EPG update process, users could put something in to call a url or something, to trigger Emby to do its thing. (or if there is some command line thing they can run)

Edited by sub3, 18 January 2019 - 06:54 PM.

#14 sub3 OFFLINE  

sub3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:53 PM

If you wanted Emby to support a more precise notification of when it needed to reload it's EPG from NextPVR, there is a PostUpdateEPG.bat that is called at the end of the EPG update process, users could put something in to call a url or something, to trigger Emby to do its thing. (or if there is some command line thing they can run)

In fact, I'm happy to build-in some custom logic to check if Emby is installed on the machine, and run something, or call something, to trigger an EPG reload whenever it's needed (so the users don't have to create a PostUpdateEPG.bat themselves). You'd have to let me know what exactly it needs to do though. 

Edited by sub3, 18 January 2019 - 06:54 PM.

#15 SHSPVR OFFLINE  

SHSPVR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • Local time: 07:54 PM
  • LocationVinita, Oklahoma

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:14 AM

@sub3 wouldn't it be eazyer to just make NextPVR background server recorder doing a way with NextPVR EPG and let Emby do all the scheduling and just sent command to NextPVR background recorder when to start and stop the recording and the same with live

#16 sub3 OFFLINE  

sub3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:52 PM

@sub3 wouldn't it be eazyer to just make NextPVR background server recorder doing a way with NextPVR EPG and let Emby do all the scheduling and just sent command to NextPVR background recorder when to start and stop the recording and the same with live

That wouldn't make any sense - it'd mean NextPVR would only function when it also has Emby.

#17 SHSPVR OFFLINE  

SHSPVR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • Local time: 07:54 PM
  • LocationVinita, Oklahoma

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:03 PM

That wouldn't make any sense - it'd mean NextPVR would only function when it also has Emby.

Unless a check box was add in order to switch between mode ?.

As of right now your best option when come to Hauppauge tuner and capture device even know that Emby has add a Plugin using the Hauppauge WinTV SDK API which it doesn't work well in Emby in fact it more headache after few hours then anything and only real option would be to just get HDHomeRun device but I person don't have one and I always preferred internal device in same box, so I don't how well they really works or if can push as hard as Hauppauge Tuner like with your app and other like SageTV for hours on end + all channel changes like every 30 min plus switching to new channel every 30 min for 24 hours straight non stop recording with 8+ more tuners even beating out WinTV :D perhaps that simple app like TScapture it just a thought.

#18 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124367 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:30 PM

That's price you pay trying to integrate with other applications - sometimes you need to fit into the way they work. Not having to worry about existing EPG data allows NextPVR to perform a much cleaner quicker EPG update.

Yup, i get it, that's fine.

#19 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2708 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:11 PM

What's weird about it? It reloads the TV guide whenever it's time to update EPG. It's working as-designed, and works great in NextPVR. Just schedule Emby to update it's EPG soon after NextPVR does. ie, if NextPVR updates at 2:00am, schedule Emby to update at 2:30am. 

I record around the clock so this method kills my system for a solid 1/2 hour to hour each morning that I can't record.  I'm sure I'm an exception but just not fond of not being able to schedule something and know it will work 24 hours per day.

Is it possible for Emby to send a channel and time span to record?  I'd really like to use NextPVR as the recording engine due to it's multi-rec functionality but if I can't reliably record 24/7 it's not a consideration.

#20 sub3 OFFLINE  

sub3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:25 PM

I record around the clock so this method kills my system for a solid 1/2 hour to hour each morning that I can't record.  I'm sure I'm an exception but just not fond of not being able to schedule something and know it will work 24 hours per day.

Is it possible for Emby to send a channel and time span to record?  I'd really like to use NextPVR as the recording engine due to it's multi-rec functionality but if I can't reliably record 24/7 it's not a consideration.

Ultimately, whether NextPVR is updating the guide, or reloading it, there is always going to be a time, no matter how short, when Emby doesn't have the most up to date details. As I said above, I'm happy add in some hooks to tell Emby when it's time to reload. (i'm sure you're not sitting there scheduling stuff at 3am, even if it's recording 24 hours a day, so it's not going to inconvenience you in any practical way)

Regarding, the ability to just use NextPVR as a dumb device interface - sure, Emby can just live tv streams, and send those to files and start/stop whenever they want. It wont have enough visibility or understanding of the tuning of whatever device is used, to determine head of time if it's possible to do a recording though (with complicated stuff happening with multi-record, and multi-standard devices which can't be used simultaneously etc). (so scheduling becomes a bit of a guess, and you just have to rely on something either succeeding or failing at recording time)

Edited by sub3, 20 January 2019 - 08:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users