Trying to reuse my old server

all4dom

all4dom

I have an hp proliant with whs 2011. It also has 4 hd slots. What simple is could I put on it that would allow me access to the drives through my main pc? I'm just looking for something simple that would hopefully be able to read hard drives larger then 2tb. I just want to store media for emby.

Thanks.

Happy2Play

If I kept whs 2011, is there a way for it to setup hard drives larger then 2tb?

Sure storage drives must be initialized by using GPT.

5c35484ac4173_disk.jpg

all4dom

Hi happy & thanks. If I can do that then that would be perfect. If I'm correct, I would just set up emby to read that folder?

Happy2Play

Hi happy & thanks. If I can do that then that would be perfect. If I'm correct, I would just set up emby to read that folder?

I am not sure what you are asking here.

all4dom

I want to make the folders shareable for emby. I'm just looking to store media on these folders.

Happy2Play

You shouldn't have any issue with Emby reading the folder setup on those drives.  Just ensure you use a sub-folder and not the root of the drive ( ie X:\Movies instead of just X:\).  Along with optional network share path if you setup shares.

example I use StableBits Drivepool to merge all my drives.

5c354f40d6c0c_share.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
notla49285

I'd run tests on >2tb drives first before putting everything on there. My desktop trashed a 4tb drive because it couldn't read more than 2tb drives when plugged in via SATA and tried to format it as a 2tb drive and led to a whole load of headaches until I figured it out. I have a HP xw6600 workstation and the mobo is a POS.