Smoother Playback

eetaylog

eetaylog

It's a great device, but has bigger problems with hardware deinterlacing of 1080i content right now. If you are willing to wait up to 15 seconds for live tv until the Emby server does the deinterlacing for you...

Can't say any word about the roku, because it's useless in germany.

Cant really think of any interlaced content that i use anyway so dont think that would be a problem.

cdikland

My problem with the Firestick sound somewhat similar to what you describe. I have the Emby app on both the Firestick and a Roku 2. Both these devices are connected to the same TV via HDMI. When I watch an (old) tv show (i.e. Two and a Half Men 2007) on the Emby the motion is jumpy and at times hard on the eyes. I play the same show via Emby on the old Roku and the difference is quite noticable. Likewise, the same show played via PLEX on this Firestick is perfectly smooth. I even tried to switch the TV HDMI input between each device (i.e Fire stick to RoKU HDMI) but it made no difference.

I would toss my Firestick however staying with the old Roku is not a good choice. It requires a reboot every day and even then may cause apps or vplaying videos to hang.  

eetaylog

My problem with the Firestick sound somewhat similar to what you describe. I have the Emby app on both the Firestick and a Roku 2. Both these devices are connected to the same TV via HDMI. When I watch an (old) tv show (i.e. Two and a Half Men 2007) on the Emby the motion is jumpy and at times hard on the eyes. I play the same show via Emby on the old Roku and the difference is quite noticable. Likewise, the same show played via PLEX on this Firestick is perfectly smooth. I even tried to switch the TV HDMI input between each device (i.e Fire stick to RoKU HDMI) but it made no difference.

I would toss my Firestick however staying with the old Roku is not a good choice. It requires a reboot every day and even then may cause apps or vplaying videos to hang.  

Do you mean that watching via plex on the ROKU is perfectly smooth? Otherwise what youre saying is that watching the show via emby and then via plex (both on the firestick) shows a difference in quality. Which would point to emby being the issue, not the firestick.

Edited by eetaylog

cdikland

Do you mean that watching via plex on the ROKU is perfectly smooth? 

Nope. Plex on Firestick works fine. Emby on Roku works fine. Emby on Firestick does not work as well. 

Plex on Roku, since the last Plex update, is pretty much unusable on my Roku 2. Afther this update I (and many others) started looking for alternatives and were pointed here.

eetaylog

Nope. Plex on Firestick works fine. Emby on Roku works fine. Emby on Firestick does not work as well. 

Plex on Roku, since the last Plex update, is pretty much unusable on my Roku 2. Afther this update I (and many others) started looking for alternatives and were pointed here.

Does plex on Firestick have a refresh rate changer in its settings?

eetaylog

If it is at least a gen 2 you may want to try this with the latest beta of the Fire TV app.

Be sure to follow the instructions.

My TV is running android 7.0. Am I able to run the beta on it? I've signed up via the link above. Edited by eetaylog

My TV is running android 7.0. Am I able to run the beta on it? I've signed up via the link above.

Yes you can run the beta.  Whether or not your TV supports the frame rate switching, I don't know.  If so, you will see options to change the display mode in the OSD menu.

eetaylog

Yes you can run the beta. Whether or not your TV supports the frame rate switching, I don't know. If so, you will see options to change the display mode in the OSD menu.

Thanks. It should do, it used to switch nicely when running mediaportal on a Windows based nuc.

I'll sign up to the firestick beta as well when I get 5 minutes. I'll pm you.

Thanks. It should do, it used to switch nicely when running mediaportal on a Windows based nuc.

I'll sign up to the firestick beta as well when I get 5 minutes. I'll pm you.

If you are running an Android TV, you don't join the Fire beta...

eetaylog

If you are running an Android TV, you don't join the Fire beta...

I have 2 TVs. One has android TV (Sony kdl), the other (Panasonic lx) is running a firestick. I've signed up to the android TV beta already (pending receiving the update through the app) and will sign up for the firestick beta later.

eetaylog

Ok, so i may have got to the bottom of this.

Im now running the beta version on my sony tv and the refresh rate switching seems to be working as panning shots are a lot smoother in certain movies. Its still not completely perfect but switching to a friends server who has a remuxed version of the same movie (bluray rip without any video compression) seems to make it run silky smooth. This would indicate that the problem was partly a frame rate mismatch, but also an issue with the encode on my movie files.

I didnt realise that running a movie file through handbrake (set to RF18, Constant Framerate) would affect the actual fps the movie ran at, only the quality of the image in each frame  :rolleyes:

Try kodi Leia + embycon + embuary. I'm testing it right now on a Fire HD device and playback seems smoother, with transcoding at server level turned off.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

eetaylog

Try kodi Leia + embycon + embuary. I'm testing it right now on a Fire HD device and playback seems smoother, with transcoding at server level turned off.

Did you update krypton to Leia or did you sideload it from a repository?