Concerned about read speed

thekingswolf

thekingswolf

I'm looking to upgrade my current storage solution.  I've been consider NAS for some time now.  I was eyeing this unit but am concerned ethernet read speed will be a bottleneck/buffering issue coming from usb3.  I will not be using the NAS unit to do anything but store the media files.  I already have a separate machine that is running the emby server, and just plan on mapping a network drive to the NAS for file access.  

Most of what I've seen people talking about is using the NAS to run the actual server, and i'm not looking to do that.  I'm just curious about the Ethernet read/write speed to the NAS if I am downloading/seeding on one client to the NAS, and streaming Emby server from another client from the NAS.  Thoughts?

It really depends on your network setup. This device as 4 ports than can be agreagated assuming you have the right network switch, that would give you the full 1 gbps on each of your two devices at the same time (assuming you are not sharing a single line and avoid other obvious network design flaws)

3djc

Edited by 3djc

majorsl

I have the DS1817+, similar to what you're looking at but with a couple more bays and a year older.  I have 3 of the 4 network ports aggregated into a single 3GB link.

I have no issues with network speed at all.  I regularly have the kid, wife, and myself streaming from it with Emby while computer back/sync actions are running to it while often doing some work and transferring largish media/data files to it.  I don't get so much as a hiccup on Emby.

I'm pretty happy with it.  The one you're looking at does have a better processor than mine, I believe capable of hardware transcoding.  I know you're not looking to do that, but you'll have that as an option for the future or if you needed to manipulate your media right on the NAS with something like ffmpeg.