Ryzen with Vega APU HW acceleration

mlcarson

mlcarson

Does Emby support the AMD HW acceleration for encoding/decoding with the Ryzen5-2400G yet?  

My current HTPC is getting a bit old and is only an I3-3225 Ivy Bridge Dual Core 3.3Ghz.   It supports HD4000 which is better than my even older I5-2500K and I7-2600K that only supports HD3000 but it'll be time for a complete refresh soon.     So, is Ryzen an option for HW acceleration or is Intel the best solution with respect to Emby?

Does Emby support the AMD HW acceleration for encoding/decoding with the Ryzen5-2400G yet?  

My current HTPC is getting a bit old and is only an I3-3225 Ivy Bridge Dual Core 3.3Ghz.   It supports HD4000 which is better than my even older I5-2500K and I7-2600K that only supports HD3000 but it'll be time for a complete refresh soon.     So, is Ryzen an option for HW acceleration or is Intel the best solution with respect to Emby?

I've had that CPU in the lab for testing and the results were quite promising, both on Linux and Windows.

But AMD has just recently started putting more focus on that area while Intel is doing so for many years now.

If there's a choice and video hardware acceleration is a required feature, I would recommend going the Intel route.

SHSPVR

I've had that CPU in the lab for testing and the results were quite promising, both on Linux and Windows.

But AMD has just recently started putting more focus on that area while Intel is doing so for many years now.

If there's a choice and video hardware acceleration is a required feature, I would recommend going the Intel route.

That in tell you see what coming next year from AMD and up it coming Ryzen 3 3300G 6c/12t/15cu & Ryzen 5 3600G 8c/16t/20cu which a big jump if leaked info hold all true over the 2000 series ;)  

@@mlcarson if your happy with i3 you could get the new i3-8100 it give 2 more core and more update video decoding and encoding features or step up to i5 8400