TV Show showing as two "versions" when should be episodes

Tawmu

Hi,

Using SD as the EPG provider, first off.

Emby is seeing two recordings of Coronation Street each night (Mon/Wed/Fri) as different versions. I've attached a screenshot of Friday's airing. The first one is showing up ok as "Friday, 30th November 2018 (Part 1)" but then the second episode recorded half an hour later is showing as a different version of that same recording, rather than a Part 2.

Any idea how I can split these into Part 1 and Part 2 within Emby? As the version drop down shows, they both have different times in the file name.

Cheers

Spaceboy

Hi,

Using SD as the EPG provider, first off.

Emby is seeing two recordings of Coronation Street each night (Mon/Wed/Fri) as different versions. I've attached a screenshot of Friday's airing. The first one is showing up ok as "Friday, 30th November 2018 (Part 1)" but then the second episode recorded half an hour later is showing as a different version of that same recording, rather than a Part 2.

Any idea how I can split these into Part 1 and Part 2 within Emby? As the version drop down shows, they both have different times in the file name.

Cheers

requested @@Luke to fix this many moons ago

That thread is actually from months before this feature existed. I am not sure how those examples relate?

maegibbons

Hi @@Luke

They are related because the problem stems from the 2nd daily episode NOT being matched correctly in TVDB.  It thinks it is the SAME episode again  that recorded an hour earlier.

The issue is now (and IMHO even worse) as it just regards it as a Multiversion file since the time in the filename is different.

If you fix the "Part 2" matching problem so that the episode numbers are different from TVDB then you fix the Multiversion problem

as they will be different episodes!!!

krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons
  • Like 2

maegibbons

Just to prove this through...

I edited the nfo of the second recording and changed the episode number and (Part 1) to (Part 2) in the title.

I then rescanned the library and I have two episodes correctly shown.

It is the Call and return of info from the TVDB that is wrong.

I dont know if you are trying to match on episode start time but that is what is needed to get the right episode number and detail back.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons
  • Like 2

paulsalter

That thread is actually from months before this feature existed. I am not sure how those examples relate?

What feature is this that was added?

This problem with 2 daily date based episodes has been going on for years

Those examples relate perfectly to what is happening, and has been mentioned many times

• Like 1

This discussion is about two separate things. Just placing a link in response to a question didn't make it obvious that they were linked. Now that someone else stepped in to explain it, I understand.

paulsalter

This discussion is about two separate things. Just placing a link in response to a question didn't make it obvious that they were linked. Now that someone else stepped in to explain it, I understand.

Can you expand on this?

I gave you a link which exactly explained the issue and gave examples, what was wrong with it

Why did it need someone else to explain it to you, did you read the linked thread

I am really starting to question my support of paying for Emby

This topic is about two episodes that have been incorrectly merged into a single episode, a relatively new feature that has just been introduced within the last couple months.

The other topic is about metadata of episodes by date when more than one episode fall on the same date. The second episode gets the same metadata as the first episode. Now with the introduction of the merging feature, they are also being merged when they shouldn't be, but that wasn't immediately obvious to me and that is was maegibbons was so kind to explain.

paulsalter

The 2 are linked, imo

Emby matches the wrong metadata for the second episode, which causes grouping feature to think they are the same episode

Unless you fix the metadata handling for date based shows, which air more than one in a day, this is always going to happen

paulsalter

General question below, not just aimed for Luke, if anyone might know

Just a thought on this (dont have Emby DVR setup at the moment, waiting for Gracenote integration then will test again)

If the tvshow.nfo (in the main show directory) is edited to change the tvdb id to something which will not match with tvdb

would this cause emby to give metadata from the epg as the show would not be found on tvdb

not sure if it would work, but could be a nice workaround for people with this issue

Edited by paulsalter

Once it is recorded it is just like any other library item and at that point it is separated from the epg. The nfo gets saved initially using data that came from the epg, and then it's up to you to decide to replace that or not.

paulsalter

Cheers

So if we can prevent this show (or similar) from matching with tvdb, then the metadata/nfo will have whatever was in the epg at time of recording

This would fix the issue of wrong metadata on the 2nd episode of the day

maegibbons

I think all that needs to be done is FIX the lookup in TVDB by date AND most importantly, in this regard, TIME of episode to get correct episode number and other metadata..

Then all problems are fixed

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

paulsalter

Would just love to see this fixed

It needs to be slightly flexible, allow for slight variations in the time

And also work for other shows, eg Eastenders on the rare occasion they air 2 episodes in a day

Or work some magic with Gracenote, now its (soon to be) the epg provider, and get Season/Episode numbers used  :o

• 1 month later...
maegibbons

@@Luke

Can you PLEASE allocate some time to fix this issue please?.

It has been raised in other threads too over the past year or so.

I am sick and tired of editing the nfo's manually to assign the righr episode number to the second episode.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons
  • Like 3

Spaceboy

@@Luke

Can you PLEASE allocate some time to fix this issue please?.

It has been raised in other threads too over the past year or so.

I am sick and tired of editing the nfo's manually to assign the righr episode number to the second episode.

Krs

Mark

its been way longer than a year though [emoji3]
  • Like 1

maegibbons

@@Spaceboy

I agree.

Two defences:

a)  I cannot remember much beyond a year ago (old age)!

B) "or so" in my post covers this off.

Whichever way this issue needs "flipping" sorting.

Krs

Mark

• Like 1