Trouble with network folders on Ubuntu

amazonacrobat

amazonacrobat

I have Emby Server installed on Linux 16.04, which is a VM running on ESXi 6.5. I'm having trouble adding network folders to the library.

All my media is saved on a Synology NAS. I can get to the folders using "File Explorer", but I get an error from Emby that the path cannot be found.

When I choose "Network" from the folder field...nothing happens. I have tried the exact address shown in File Explorer (smb://main_nas/media/movies), as well as \\main_nas/media/movies.

As a troubleshooting attempt, I installed Emby Server on my W10 machine, and was able to connect find the correct folders using the "Network" option in the folder field.

I'm not even sure what keywords I should be searching for. I have a very limited knowledge all facets of what I'm toying with (VM's, Networking, Linux).

Hi amazonacrobat,

In every case I've seen these types of problems are caused by permissions.  I'm running Emby on Linux 16.04 on a Proxmox host (I only use terminal though) but I'm happy to help you out.

Since Emby on Linux 16.04 is run as the "emby" user, it's highly probable that "emby" just doesn't have access to the files.

When you're running File Explorer, you're able to access the files because your ID (say amazonacrobat) has access to them.  It works a little differently under Windows too.

"main_nas" is your Synology NAS, correct? I'm pretty sure that you'll need to "mount" the share first, but we'll get to that.

Cheers

Edited by c0utta

amazonacrobat

Hi amazonacrobat,

In every case I've seen these types of problems are caused by permissions.  I'm running Emby on Linux 16.04 on a Proxmox host (I only use terminal though) but I'm happy to help you out.

Since Emby on Linux 16.04 is run as the "emby" user, it's highly probable that "emby" just doesn't have access to the files.

When you're running File Explorer, you're able to access the files because your ID (say amazonacrobat) has access to them.  It works a little differently under Windows too.

"main_nas" is your Synology NAS, correct? I'm pretty sure that you'll need to "mount" the share first, but we'll get to that.

Cheers

That makes sense.

I have the Synology setup so that the media folder is blocked default, and I specify access to specific users. I'm prepared to change that if it's going to cause a problem with playback on my Roku's. On the Synology, I created user credentials that match the Ubuntu login credentials. That is the only "Synology User" with any access to the media folder. When I tried troubleshooting on my W10 machine, I modified the Synology permissions to allow my user access to the media folder.

OK, I think the best way to do this is to mount the share when the Emby server starts, so we'll go ahead and create a mount point.

Open a terminal on your Emby VM (I assume you're a root user) and type:

mkdir /mnt/main_nas

mount -t cifs -o guest //main_nas/media/movies /mnt/main_nas

Don't be surprised if this doesn't work first time, but I'm trying to mount guest access first.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers  

amazonacrobat

OK, I think the best way to do this is to mount the share when the Emby server starts, so we'll go ahead and create a mount point.

Open a terminal on your Emby VM (I assume you're a root user) and type:

mkdir /mnt/main_nas

mount -t cifs -o guest //main_nas/media/movies /mnt/main_nas

Don't be surprised if this doesn't work first time, but I'm trying to mount guest access first.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers  

the mkdir was successful. Mounting was not.

I am currently double checking my Synology settings just to make sure I got everything correct on that end.

If "guest" is in reference to the guest user Synology has available, I disabled that on the device. I tried replacing that with "MediaServerVM", it failed. "MediaServerVM" is the Synology user I created to act as the robo-user.

mediaserver@MediaServerVM:~$ sudo mount -t cifs -o guest //main_nas/media/Movies /mnt/main_nas
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //main_nas/media/Movies,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
       need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail or so.
Edited by amazonacrobat

This message is given when the OS thinks that host isn't the correct file system.  It could be the version of Samba too.

If you navigate via Nautilus to the Synology NAS share, and then go to terminal and just type "mount".

This will list out the mount point that you created in Nautilus.

Cheers