Fire TV Stick 4K (2018)

Jdiesel

VaporTrail

Other than the fire tv home screen that is full of crap you can't remove...

@@pir8radio With Fire OS 6, you can press & hold the home button, and go straight to your apps in a simple GUI homescreen à la TVLauncher3. Blew my mind when I discovered it by accident.

• Like 1

tristanjacquel

I suppose that is a possibility for the future (if we could ever design an option that people would understand what it actually does).  Most people are not going to want their DTS tracks mixed down to stereo though.  They want 5.1 so converting to DD is a better experience.

What about a 5.1 PCM decoding by the app and not only 2 ch downmix ? Wouldn't that solve issues with PGS subs that need direct play ?

What about a 5.1 PCM decoding by the app and not only 2 ch downmix ? Wouldn't that solve issues with PGS subs that need direct play ?

No because people don't want software decoded PCM streams either.  They "need" to see that blue light on the AVR come on :).

tristanjacquel

No because people don't want software decoded PCM streams either. They "need" to see that blue light on the AVR come on :).

So 5.1 DD transcoding by app is likely to happen ?

By the way, it seems Fire Stick TV 4K has the ability to transcode every audio stream to DD+ 5.1 or DD 5.1. At least it automatically does with Netflix app and that is problematic, since 2.0 becomes 5.1 (where FL & FR have signal, but C, SR and SL are empty), with little possibility for the receiver to upmix to surround channels (mine can't). I'll be checking if Emby set to downmix gets the same "stereo 5.1" transcoding.

Edited by tristanjacquel

• 3 weeks later...
tristanjacquel

I suppose that is a possibility for the future (if we could ever design an option that people would understand what it actually does).  Most people are not going to want their DTS tracks mixed down to stereo though.  They want 5.1 so converting to DD is a better experience.

@@ebr, about a selective audio passthrough, I just came to notice Emby Theater (for Linux) does have such an option. Could a very same feature be implemented in Android / Fire TV app ?