Jetstream 4K Ultra HD Android TV Box with Voice Search Remote

clarkss12

clarkss12

If anyone is interested, I picked up one of these Google Certified devices from Walmart yesterday ( I believe they are only sold in the USA).   It is VERY similar to the Mecool KM8, but this new box does support Netflix in 4k.  It is comparable to the Xiaomi Mibox, but it has an Ethernet port and 2 USB 2 ports.  This just hit Walmart this week.  And, NO I do not have an Nvida Shield to compare it to.......  Us poor folk can't afford the Lexus of the Android devices, we have to settle for the Yugo Android devices.. :)

clarkss12
I had both this box and the new Xiaomi Mibox on pre-order.  This one came online first, the Xiaomi Mibox is not due for a few more days.  I cancelled the Mibox.

I also have this one on >>  A95X PLUS TV Box << order, and it SHOULD ship in next week.  Purchased it for $59.99, now they want $65.99 for it.  This is one of the first device to use the new Amlogic S905 Y2 SoC.  Details are sketchy about what OS will be running on it, other than Oreo, or possibly Pie......  From what I have read, Amlogic has starting to use the Android TV OS as their base OS, but I won't know until I receive this device.

clarkss12

My mibox just died, so I'm looking for a replacement, even though I have a shield :)

These Amlogic boxes are hard to kill...  What do you mean it died??

Guest asrequested

These Amlogic boxes are hard to kill...  What do you mean it died??

It won't get past the MiBox logo when you first turn it on. It's been fritzing for a while. The remote would stop working. I thought it was the remote, but then it totally wigged out and now it won't even boot up.

That box looks nice. I may avail myself of one. Did it actually play HD audio? TrueHD? Atmos? 

Edited by Doofus

clarkss12

It won't get past the MiBox logo when you first turn it on. It's been fritzing for a while. The remote would stop working. I thought it was the remote, but then it totally wigged out and now it won't even boot up.

That box looks nice. I may avail myself of one. Did it actually play HD audio? TrueHD? Atmos? 

No, that was one of my criteria of keeping this box, it does NOT play HD audio (TrueHD, ect.) at all.  The lable on the box, says it plays HD audio, but it only plays DD, DD+ and DTS, maybe they are calling those HD audio.  I decided to keep the box anyway, eventhough it does NOT passthrough HD audio.  Also, it has a locked boot loader, so can't dual boot to a different OS.

post-38990-0-89849400-1540069356_thumb.jpg

Edit: The SoC running on this device is more than capable of passing through HD audio..... 

Edited by clarkss12

clarkss12

If you have a different power supply that matches the plug end, you could try that.  I have/had dozens of these devices and have never had one die on me.  I have KILLED a couple, but that was by my own doing.

clarkss12

They might mean that it can decode them, rather than bitstream. MiBox had shenanigans like that.

Using Kodi, the HD audio options do not even show up.  Using VLC, my Yamaha AVR shows PCM, what ever that means.  

Guest asrequested

Using Kodi, the HD audio options do not even show up.  Using VLC, my Yamaha AVR shows PCM, what ever that means.  

PCM means the audio has been decoded by the box, and not by the receiver. How many channels does it show?

clarkss12

For a "poor folk" you sure do have a lot of these $60-$80 boxes... ;)

That's why I  am poor........... :)  Addictions are terrible.........  When a new device is announced, I have to get one just to see what it can do.....  If it JUST works, I give it away..... The junk devices I hide somewhere, out of mind out of sight.

clarkss12

PCM means the audio has been decoded by the box, and not by the receiver. How many channels does it show?

My receiver has an icon that shows all my speakers being used.....  but I can't tell what sound is being pumped to my speakers.  My ears really can't tell any difference between my videos being played with HD audio or just plain DD or DTS.  If I put tape over the display on my AVR, I probably could not tell you what the audio was being played in.

Strange, my 3 or 4 year old $40 Amlogic S905x Android box running a modded version of Android TV OS, plays HD audio from the Android Kodi.  Avatar shows DTS-HD MA.  Enemy at the gates shows DTHD on the AVR display.

clarkss12

It powers up, but won't boot up.

I am sure you tried the basics, trying on a different TV and different HDMI cable??

Guest asrequested

I am sure you tried the basics, trying on a different TV and different HDMI cable??

It's a brick.

My receiver has an icon that shows all my speakers being used.....  but I can't tell what sound is being pumped to my speakers.  My ears really can't tell any difference between my videos being played with HD audio or just plain DD or DTS.  If I put tape over the display on my AVR, I probably could not tell you what the audio was being played in.

Strange, my 3 or 4 year old $40 Amlogic S905x Android box running a modded version of Android TV OS, plays HD audio from the Android Kodi.  Avatar shows DTS-HD MA.  Enemy at the gates shows DTHD on the AVR display.

That's the point. It is the same. A lot of people get confused by this. If you bitstream the audio to the receiver, it will internally decode it to raw audio (PCM). So in your case, the android box is doing it, instead. The audio is exactly the same. The only issue would be if you were using Atmos or DtsX. Those both contain metadata that needs to be read by the decoder. Most commonly, that will be the receiver. So those need to be bitstreamed and left for the receiver to decode. If you aren't using Atmos or DtsX, then it doesn't matter and you can just let the box decode your audio.

• 1 year later...
shorty1483

So fellows, I need an advice regarding the Jetstream 4K box. I got a good price for it here in Germany via an Ebay offer from spain, so I bought one. In Europe it's sold under the brand name Engel EN1015K, but it's the same device from Ematic.

I have all set up and running. Device is hardwired to Gigabit-LAN, connected via HDMI to my Samsung 55H6270 TV and via SPDIF/TOSLINK to my Audioreceiver.

Receiver is AC3 and DTS capable. The Jetstream box is set to use SPDIF in TV settings. When activated, the Audio options in device settings automatically change to custom with AC3 and DTS enabled.

Following scenarios:

- Netflix app: AC3 5.1 is sent to the receiver ✔, no possibility to test DTS

- Amazon app: AC3 5.1 is sent to the receiver ✔,  no possibility to test DTS

- Kodi connected to Emby (Passthrough for DTS/DTS-HD and AC3 enabled in settings) : AC3 5.1 and DTS is sent to the receiver from files up to DTS-HD ✔

- VLC app via network: AC3 and DTS 5.1 are sent to the receiver ✔

- Emby ATV app (Audio Automatic and DTS/DTS-HD enabled in settings): in every case the signal thrown to the receiver is PCM 2.0, no matter if source is AC3 or DTS/DTS-HD

For the record: Stats for Nerds in Emby app always shows direct playing, no matter what Audio setting (Downmix to stereo/Automatic).

So here's the question folks: How the heck do I get the Emby app to passthrough/bitstream the signal to my Audioreceiver. It seems not to be a problem of the device capabilities or settings since all other apps are working. @ @@clarkss12 ?

@@ebr Before you ask, no the Sammy TV is not licensed to give out the original signal via optical output, just 2.0. ( https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/73098-no-passthrough-digital-audio-with-direct-optical-connection/&do=findComment&comment=736616)

Edited by shorty1483

clarkss12

"- Emby ATV app (Audio Automatic and DTS/DTS-HD enabled in settings): in every case the signal thrown to the receiver is PCM 2.0, no matter if source is AC3 or DTS/DTS-HD"

The Jetstream does NOT support DTS-HD, so you need to DE-select it ( I have to do that on all my boxes that does not support audio HD passthrough in Emby).  My Jetstream is tucked away in a drawer somewhere, but I can dig it out and do some testing.

shorty1483

"- Emby ATV app (Audio Automatic and DTS/DTS-HD enabled in settings): in every case the signal thrown to the receiver is PCM 2.0, no matter if source is AC3 or DTS/DTS-HD"

The Jetstream does NOT support DTS-HD, so you need to DE-select it ( I have to do that on all my boxes that does not support audio HD passthrough in Emby).  My Jetstream is tucked away in a drawer somewhere, but I can dig it out and do some testing.

I've been through all different setting combinations including your suggestion, but nope this also doesn't work. Not even a simple AC3 5.1 Audio does work. Emby is the only app that does not work over SPDIF. E.g. VLC has a simple switch " Audio SPDIF Passthrough". If enabled, everything works as it should. It's the same thing like in this thread so I posted there: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/73098-no-passthrough-digital-audio-with-direct-optical-connection/page-2

@@ebr Yes, no HDMI, if I had, I wouldn't ask here for the SPDIF thing. 

Edited by shorty1483