NextPVR Dumb Tuner

Carlo

Spaceboy

That's good info @@Spaceboy.

One of the things I'm looking for is flexibility and tuner priority. Tell me if you think MP can handle something like this.

Quatro 4 tuner OTA with Premium TV

Prime(s) for cable lineup

So let's say the Quatro gets ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox plus of course additional channels

The Quatro with Premium TV will also have ESPN, Hallmark, USA, LifeTime, etc

Prime with cable gets every channel the Quatro has plus additional.

Now living in the real world I find OTA as good or better then cable so I want this tuner to have higher priority except for ABC which is fringe.

*So for example CBS, NBC, Fox should get used from OTA before Cable but ABC should get used from cable first then OTA

Cable PQ/reliability is better then Premium TV so I want cable used first with Premium TV channels like Hallmark, ESPN used secondary from the Quatro.

So in a nutshell some channels on the Quatro should get a higher priority then cable while other channels coming from the Quatro should be backup to the Prime (Cable).

Then there is IPTV which NextPVR supports which can be in the mix as well.

Is that type of setup/priority scheme available in Media Portal?

Do I take it version 1 of MP should be used?

I believe so although I don’t use it.

I think mp1 is only required for the MP plugin. I am using MP1 as I occasionally check in on the plugin. I don’t see why mp2 wouldn’t work for this dumb tuner method though, cos all you are using is the unique streaming url

I do record on the subs but usually never at the same time.

Some nights a week I'm recording on FOX, NBC, CBS and ABC at the same time and in succession. Through in an occasional PBS and I need that 5th tuner. It seemed to work the other night but I'm still looking into the recording results.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I believe so although I don’t use it.

I think mp1 is only required for the MP plugin. I am using MP1 as I occasionally check in on the plugin. I don’t see why mp2 wouldn’t work for this dumb tuner method though, cos all you are using is the unique streaming url

Thanks,  I'll check it out and see if this simplifies things.

I got this to work, but it takes an age to start a channel... and it's transcoding... any ideas?

EDIT:

It takes ages to start in ET and it transcodes. 

It's quick in a web browser where it Direct Streams...

Edited by markyp

I don't see any of the problems you listed.  The concurrent streams is solved nicely in this thread.

HOWEVER, I believe there is one issue and it's an Emby bug/issue not specific to this.

Use of IPTV seems to cause Tuner lock up.  There are many threads/posts here in the forums talking about this for at least 1 year.

Essentially Emby gets into a state that it opens a stream but then never closes it.  It then can not open any other streams from any tuners (HDHomeRun or other).

The only course of action is to KILL the EmbyServer process and restart it.

I'm 99% positive the issues I've documented here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63854-recording-failures/

are caused by this well known IPTV tuner/lock issue.

Yea, I've got some time carved out this weekend on Saturday to setup and test Emby using MP and the MP plugin.

This is based on your feedback!

I'm always looking for a "better mousetrap" LOL

The setup in this thread works fine except for the IPTV tuner lockup glitch which is a killer.

• Like 1

Yea, I've got some time carved out this weekend on Saturday to setup and test Emby using MP and the MP plugin.

This is based on your feedback!

I'm always looking for a "better mousetrap" LOL

The setup in this thread works fine except for the IPTV tuner lockup glitch which is a killer.

does it work for you to ET?

sorry, what I meant was, I'm seeing very slow load times in ET (around 20-30s), wheras if I use a browser I'm watching a channel within a couple of seconds!

• 3 weeks later...

I would have replied earlier, but I was away on holiday so didn't see this. 

This has come up before in a couple of threads. Unfortunately its a flawed idea since Emby has no idea of what resources are available on the backend, so doesn't know how many tuners are available, and what channels can be recorded simultaneously, and which can't. ie, you'd want to get an error message in the TV Guide when you try to schedule a recording if the backend knows that recording wouldn't be possible. With this m3u approach, it's not going to know that. Instead you'll just get a failure when it tries to record if no tuner is available.

Functionality you're better off using an plugin which allows the backend to check this stuff.
Edited by sub3