Audio stops when casting to Chromecast after a few seconds

AxelAxel3

AxelAxel3

I just got Live TV setup using my older HDHR3-US device on Emby 3.6.0.49 beta late last night. I haven't had a chance to try it and review the logs, but my wife is reporting that she gets 4-10 seconds of audio when casting to Chromecast. It works fine on the phone and web, but when casting to the Chromecast, it only has sound for a few seconds. Nothing seems to bring it back except shutting down the Emby Chromecast app, then recasting, which it only lasts a few more seconds.

All other videos seem to work fine. I can get more details later tonight (or tomorrow), but just wanted to go ahead and post and see if anyone else has seen this.

AxelAxel3

Well now when I try to cast, it just spins on the Chromecast. Attached logs. Let me know if you need something else.

Edit: Missed my first recording because of this :(

(removed logs)

Edited by Darkstyrm

AxelAxel3

So I woke up this morning to have no channels or guide in Emby. Despite all my refreshing channels/guides it never would show any, but they where in HDHomeRun the whole time. But after a server reboot and refresh again, they magically showed up. Then the sound worked for a couple minutes, then died. Attached is the logs I grabbed right after the sound died on Live TV Stream. 

(removed logs)

Edited by Darkstyrm

AxelAxel3

With further testing, I'm about 90% sure it's due to a quick blip in signal. I live pretty far away from town where these stations are broadcasted. But once the signal blips, the audio just dies and doesn't attempt to come back. At least that is what it seems.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by Darkstyrm

AxelAxel3

Well now that we have narrowed it down, is there anything we can do about it? I don't mind the blips in audio, but it cuts out completely until I stop the stream and restart it.

Edited by Darkstyrm

AxelAxel3

Also verified it does NOT do the audio this way when on the Android. It will cut out ever once in a while, but the audio does not die all together.

AxelAxel3

My server got updated to 3.6.0.50 beta last night. I verified it is still an issue in this version as well.

AxelAxel3

I don't think its horrible - it may cut out ever once in a while, but I think its more it looses a tad bit of signal every once in a while. I kind of have a hard time believing it is loosing it every 4 seconds though. According to my android app HomeHomeRun Signal Meter, I was getting good signal but I can double check that tonight.

From a couple days ago:

post-1176-0-00126300-1538422499_thumb.png

Edited by Darkstyrm

AxelAxel3

So I got the newer HDHomeRun today - HDHR5-4US. I have replaced my older HDHomeRun with it and got the premium channels as well. My experience was better at times, and worse at others. Here are some of my issues - the audio problem did not seem to come back from all my tests so I can only assume it was due to my older hardware (or now the black screen is its replacement issue).

Chromecast

• Typically, I have to cast twice. The first time, it just shows the spinning wheel. The second time, the on screen display comes up then the video loads as it should. With BOTH Prem and OTA channels.
  • Both types of channels goes black some times. The video is playing fine, then all of a sudden, the screen goes black and I never get audio or video. Yet there are 0 glitches or hiccups in the official hdhomerun app.
  • Would be nice to have a skip ahead or rewind 10 seconds button

Android

• If I use the skip ahead button and it goes past what is live, it seems to lock up the app until the live feed gets to the point its skipped to rather than just going to what is currently live and not skipping past that point.
  • The Guide seems very slow after adding the premium channels.

Attached are server logs. I also noticed quite a few repetitive certificate authentication issues? That is new to today and not sure what that would be..

(EDIT: removed logs)

Edited by Darkstyrm

AxelAxel3

Well I have no clue what that error was about. The cert was working fine, still in date, and HTTPS was still listening and returning the correct cert. After a server reboot, I haven't seen that error again. 

And for some reason, OTA channels seem to be working perfectly without a single issue. Even if the video/audio cuts out for a second, it comes right back. So I am down to one issue here then I think I can call this project successful. 

When I try to cast a Premium channel to Chromecast, it plays for a few seconds, then just goes black - no HUD, no loading icon, just black. I did it multiple times and grabbed the logs. Below are the times I reproduced the issue:

• 6:24pm - at least 3 times
  • 6:37pm
  • 6:45pm

If you can help me with this I think I can finally say I have a solid solution for now!

Edited by Darkstyrm

AxelAxel3

Thanks that seemed to fix it when I brought it down to 1080p - 5mbps. Is there a way to do this server side so each client does not have to do this?

And although the audio just dying issue is MUCH better, I did have another instance of this at around 1:18am. The audio died and would not come back until I recast-ed the channel, and this time it was a premium channel and not a OTA channel. This was AFTER the quality setting was changed.

Also I am having an issue where at the end of the day, when I try to play a show on the tuner (OTA or premium) I just get a loading icon. I have to reboot the server to get it to work and it works reliably after that until the next day. That should be reflected in the error logs right before the most recent reboot. This issues seems to happen regardless if it is Android or Chromecast.

Also I am still having the issue where I have to cast the video twice sometimes to get it to play on Chromecast. It would be in the logs fairly quickly after the reboot. 

Thanks for all your help on this!

Edited by Darkstyrm

AxelAxel3

Any idea why I get this error every night I try to watch TV until after I reboot the server? This is regardless what I am playing on - Chromecast or Android. And it's only HDHomeRun streams - movies and TV shows and recorded/recording shows work fine.

Edited by Darkstyrm

AxelAxel3

I see now it says all tuners in use, so I don't think that is the actual error. I think that was just a symptom of the error. Below is what I am seeing over and over right now while experiencing the issue. If you need full logs, I also posted logs with this issue in earlier posts as well as attached one.

(removed logs)

Edited by Darkstyrm

AxelAxel3

Also I am having an issue where at the end of the day, when I try to play a show on the tuner (OTA or premium) I just get a loading icon and the video never plays. I have to reboot the server to get it to work and it works reliably after that until the next day. That should be reflected in the error logs right before the most recent reboot. This issues seems to happen regardless if it is Android or Chromecast.

Recordings will record just fine, I can play recordings that are currently recording just fine (minus the going black while watching problem, but we will get to that later), I can play non-HdHomeRun stuff just fine, I only see this when I am trying to watch a HDHomeRun show. And rebooting the server is not an option during recordings so it's kind of a show stopper every single night I sit down to watch TV.

Edited by Darkstyrm

AxelAxel3

Attached is a new log. Also, I took a video of the problem.

Weirdly enough, I had one channel work in the video - first time I have seen that without rebooting when I am getting this error.

(removed logs)

Edited by Darkstyrm