Improvements coming for the official Roku app

ebr

Another not critical item. But in the theme of aligning with other apps, I always get some good use of the "stats for nerds" function in theater and web browser.

Thanks.

I admire all the participation in the thread. I also at the same time cannot move as fast as I would like with the app. Moreso because I have to come to speed with how the app is built, and how it all comes together. Sort of like you become familiar with streets in your neighbordhood after you move. So you can find your way back home. I have a basic understanding of how this works, but certain things are hidden within the firmware, so you can't get debug from some things. Such as the audio player bug becomes more difficult to crush because headers are hidden. I may have to hook up my roku over wifi, and use wireshark to sniff with my tablet what is going on. Thats the only way I think that one can be solved.

The other feature requests, yes. The more the merrier, but keep in mind that feature requests aren't a guarantee. Nothing in this world is. So while you may want them and I want them, the reality of the situation is none of this is in my control or your control. I want to do right by the emby developers and help them. Not be a loose cannon. Not waste their time on things that arent on their road map. So you can keep the requests coming, but try not to badger luke and ebr that these must happen. Be glad they are as forth coming as they are and they've allowed me to help them. I am happy. All of you be happy too. It will get better.

Edited by speechles

Hi Speechles,

Attached are media info and logs for the video file that won't direct play with Opus 5.1 audio. One other odd thing I noticed, after playing this (or any other video file I have with Opus audio), if I then go and play another video that normally would direct play (Godfather in this case), it gets transcoded. If I exit the emby app and play Godfather again, it will now direct play (as is typical). I'm on the latest beta (3.0.107).

Elf.2003.BluRay.x265.10bit.Opus.5.1.mkv.txt

Elf-trans.txt

Godfather-trans.txt

The Godfather 1972 Coppola Restoration (1080p x265 10bit).mkv.txt

(ignore the link breaking spaces)

h t t p : // 192.168.1.6:8096/emby/videos/d7549802d4d9b7ce1a053f951023197e/hls1/main/0.ts?DeviceId=10738240-dc10-5a2b-9b69-b6436568fd3d&MediaSourceId=d7549802d4d9b7ce1a053f951023197e&VideoCodec=h264,mpeg1video,mpeg2video,hevc&AudioCodec=ac3,mp3,aac,mp2,eac3,flac,opus,vorbis,lpcm&AudioStreamIndex=1&VideoBitrate=79616000&AudioBitrate=384000&MaxFramerate=61&MaxWidth=3840&MaxHeight=2160&PlaySessionId=c31794f8750a44258ad7aefb43c97b96&api_key=(scrubbed out)&SubtitleMethod=Encode&TranscodingMaxAudioChannels=6&RequireAvc=false&Tag=6b470cef424f0e9f98db8ebb46e3e2ab&SegmentContainer=ts&SegmentLength=3&MinSegments=1&BreakOnNonKeyFrames=True&h264-maxrefframes=16&h264-videobitdepth=8&h264-profile=high,main,baseline,constrainedbaseline&h264-level=51&audiochannels=6&TranscodeReasons=ContainerNotSupported,VideoCodecNotSupported,AudioCodecNotSupported

I see what is happening. Not sure if this is my fault. It looks like what happened is the app went into fallback. When this happens, the app is forcing transcode. If you see the "red box" pop up during playback, it will suppress that error itself automatically, you dont need to, and it will resume playing in fallback transcode. It wont show the first error in the red box very long. When this happens the app is stuck in force transcode forever for the rest of your session. This is another bug.

It also looks like when this happens, the transcode default fallsback to the very first codec in the list, ac3 ( AudioCodec=ac3,mp3,aac,mp2,eac3,flac,opus,vorbis,lpcm )

It is supposed to use the other codecs in the list as suggestions to direct stream. But it seems the server isn't allowing it for some reason. It might be because the app is stuck in fallback.

It also changed your hevc into h264 even though ( VideoCodec=h264,mpeg1video,mpeg2video,hevc ) its clearly in the direct stream list.

Notice it says container, videocodec, and audiocodec not supported. ( TranscodeReasons=ContainerNotSupported,VideoCodecNotSupported,AudioCodecNotSupported )

Dead give away its in force transcode mode.  I just tested opus again on my roku ultra. Made a new encode and everything, and it plays directly. hevc with 10 bit color and opus with 5.1. Direct plays. I am at a loss as to where to find any opus mkv video samples, so have to create them to get any.

If you quit the app, start it fresh, and the very first video you try to play is that ELF video, does it play directly? If it doesnt, can you show me the transcode logs again and server log from that session. The app logs wont be useful.

@@Luke is this a server bug (the fail to direct stream copy when transcoding)? It might be because when it falls back to transcoding? but that wouldnt cause it to blank the profiles would it? This may be the exact thing holding up the music player.

Edited by speechles

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. I'll test again when I get home and let you know how it goes. This bug may have always been there and I just now noticed it, as I was paying more attention testing direct playback of video with 5.1 opus. I also don't have many files with opus.

Had to run home real quick. I didn't get a chance to save logs, but here are a few more data points.

1. This bug also occurred on beta version 3.0.105 of the emby app.

2. My device is a 4k Roku TV running OS 8.1.0 build 4139-30. I believe ebr or Luke have this exact model TV (TCL 55S405).

3. Starting app fresh and playing ELF causes it to be transcoded (this also happens with the handful of other video files I have with 5.1 opus). After playing a file with opus 5.1, the app then gets stuck in fallback mode.

4. I didn't see the "red box" you mentioned during playback. Where would I look for this?

Edited by Lane03

jfgilliam

Improve the skip forward and backward experience when watching delayed live-tv or delayed recordings (when there's no thumbnails) to at least show the frame at that point as soon as you can. Right now it's a blind skip forward. It will make it easier to skip commercials by clicking forward until you see the show start, then one back and play. I also changed the skip ahead from 30 seconds to 10 seconds to make this easier.

Also, on 107, when you start playing a recording in progress, the scrubber doesn't represent the time recorded so far. It does eventually buffer up, but it takes a long time.

Ability to stop play on one device and move to another and pick up where it left off on delayed recordings.

Improve the skip forward and backward experience when watching delayed live-tv or delayed recordings (when there's no thumbnails) to at least show the frame at that point as soon as you can. Right now it's a blind skip forward. It will make it easier to skip commercials by clicking forward until you see the show start, then one back and play. I also changed the skip ahead from 30 seconds to 10 seconds to make this easier.

Also, on 107, when you start playing a recording in progress, the scrubber doesn't represent the time recorded so far. It does eventually buffer up, but it takes a long time.

I'm afraid this is all out of our control on this device.

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. I'll test again when I get home and let you know how it goes. This bug may have always been there and I just now noticed it, as I was paying more attention testing direct playback of video with 5.1 opus. I also don't have many files with opus.

Your issue with opus should be solved in the next release. Also the music player has a temporary band aid fix. This means no more "ignored" messages when playing, but also means.. you might guess this.. more transcoding. The roku appears to dislike something about some music file codecs that shouldn't be problems, so rather than wait til we figure it out it is better to give you something now that plays your media.

Please test again with the next beta and report back. Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Probably best to start creating new topic-specific posts instead of tacking all issues onto this thread.  Thanks.