Must use software!

allen00se

allen00se

All,

I am a recent convert from linux and mythtv, so I am gradually finding tools to replicate what I had. One that I have just come across that all of you need is MCE Buddy. It monitors your recordings folders, strips commercials out of recordings, and transcodes. It was super easy to set up and so far has worked flawlessly! Take a look, they have a free version that has full functionality but limits speed, although I liked it so much I donated and got the full speed version.

Also it appears that the backend service can talk via SOAP, so maybe there could even be a MB3 plugin in the future.

Deihmos

I wouldn't want a software stripping commercials because there is a possibility that it will cut piece of the show. Instead I use dtbaddin to autoskip commercials.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Edited by Deihmos

Spaceboy

i agree, if anything gets moved from recorded tv to my tv or movie archive, that cutting is done by hand by videoredo

IcyBergals

I recently started recording a handful of TV shows with WMC and converting them with MCE Buddy.  I like the program but it's a bit of work to get everything set up just right.

The nice thing about the commercial remover is how customizable it is.  You have the option of using two other programs, Comskip or ShowAnalyzer, to scan for commercials.  I use Comskip and I'm really impressed by how good of a job it does at detecting commercial breaks.  You also have the option to just flag the commercials and inserting chapters into the video file, which is great because you can use the skip forward button to instantly skip all the commercials plus go back later and fix anything that was incorrectly identified.

emveepee

For comskip I wouldn't say that MB3 is must have until it supports edl file likes XBMC and NextPVR (among others) do. That is the proper way around having to cut file and lose video.

I think the NextPVR web server is edl aware but that would require non-transcoding playback.

Martin

Edited by emveepee

IcyBergals

I found it quite easy to set up, and there are a ton of different options. I didnt even know about the inserting chapters option. I have been using it all week and so far it hasnt cut any pieces of shows. I cant imaging trying to cut commercials by hand, that seems extremely tedious.

I guess I should have said that they set up process can be very in depth.  With the ability to set up profiles based on file name or channel you can save all of your shows in custom ways.  For instance, animated shows could be compressed slightly more than a regular TV show or a custom Comskip settings file can be loaded to treat that show in a special way.

I've had trouble with excess cutting on a couple different programs.  One is the Moment of Zen on The Daily Show.  It doesn't come back with any kind of logo on the screen so Comskip is just seeing that short clip as another commercial.  The only solution I've come across is to tell Comskip to save the last 30 (60/90...) seconds of your video, to never cut the end of the file.

Another example is Rick and Morty.  Every episode ends with one final scene after the credits.  Sometimes Comskip cuts this scene and other times it'll leave it in, which made me look into not cutting the commercials and instead creating chapters to skip over them.

allen00se

I recently started recording a handful of TV shows with WMC and converting them with MCE Buddy.  I like the program but it's a bit of work to get everything set up just right.

The nice thing about the commercial remover is how customizable it is.  You have the option of using two other programs, Comskip or ShowAnalyzer, to scan for commercials.  I use Comskip and I'm really impressed by how good of a job it does at detecting commercial breaks.  You also have the option to just flag the commercials and inserting chapters into the video file, which is great because you can use the skip forward button to instantly skip all the commercials plus go back later and fix anything that was incorrectly identified.

I found it quite easy to set up, and there are a ton of different options. I didnt even know about the inserting chapters option. I have been using it all week and so far it hasnt cut any pieces of shows. I cant imaging trying to cut commercials by hand, that seems extremely tedious.

Can you also go over to MceBuddy and tell them Media Browser is must use software? :)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

You also have the option to just flag the commercials and inserting chapters into the video file, which is great because you can use the skip forward button to instantly skip all the commercials plus go back later and fix anything that was incorrectly identified.

Where did you find instructions to do this?  I have searched all over MCEBuddy site and can't find it at all.  

My belief is if someone could really figure out a nice way to incorporate OTA Recorded TV into MB while skipping commercials, it would be more attractive to more people.  You could use any WMC machine as a server and all the available clients to access all the data.  This would seem to be more important than live tv itself, but nobody ever seems to grab the horns in this area.  I'm definitely not a programmer, but it seems like it would then be easier to "serve" live tv as really "recorded four seconds ago tv".

This is basically what I do because now my cable bill is zero (internet is $30) and I commercial skip with DVRMSToolbox which is all but abandoned and not for the novice.  This only works on computers and equipment though.  I use MCEBuddy for a few particular shows that I use on devices.  I am now thinking I could streamline the process with this method.  

Edited by Bert

IcyBergals

Where did you find instructions to do this?  I have searched all over MCEBuddy site and can't find it at all.  

I'm running MCEBuddy2.3 Beta 15 and it has a slightly different layout/UI than earlier versions, but to have it not cut commercials and instead insert chapters you set up a Conversation Task, then under Expert Settings under Audio and Video there is a box "Skip cutting ads."  The tooltip says that it'll insert chapters but if it isn't, make sure that "add subtitles and chapters" is checked under the Subtitles and Chapters section.  

It also states that it can only insert chapters for certain types of files, MKV and M4V and MP4 being the ones listed.

Spaceboy

Dvrmstoolbox is not abandoned, the guy updated it to win 8.1 last year. Only available to the donators though I think

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pelon

Is Andy and he is a dev here on mbt. ;)

If he is here, I would love to have a paid plug in that can strip the commercials from our recorded programs. I remember that in the past it was easy to remove the comercials of DVR-MS files. Then I think it was in Vista that MS started using WTV files. At least back then, I had to convert the files from WTV to DVR-MS to do the commercial skipping. I used to use Lifeextender (it used Comskip in the background). The setup was complex, becuase it need to monitor my files and convert the DVR-MS files to WTV and then it processed the files. So with a lot of programs interacting, it had a big chance of failure.

If we had a plugin that would do all of this for us, it would make the TV portion of MB3 outstanding (it is incredible now)

Tikuf

Whoa hold those horses. There is nothing in dev around this. I was just saying that Andy is a dev here. Any development of commercial skipping etc has not been started nor is it planned at this stage.

You guys are reading too much into a wink  :) .

BillW

I think that may have been indicated by the wink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You folks are killing me. I feel like a 6 year old waiting for Christmas. Every time I come up with something to try on my HTPC you already have it in development. Think I'll just stick to building my movie/music/tv show collection. :)

Spaceboy

To be fair those of us already using dvrmstoolbox and server wmc only need something to read the comskip files

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
bobbybah

Hi Guys,

Please, advice what kind of software to use to remove commercials from from Emby recordings. The OS I use is OpenSuSe Linux.

Hi Guys,

Please, advice what kind of software to use to remove commercials from from Emby recordings. The OS I use is OpenSuSe Linux.

Hi, there's nothing built into Emby so you'll have to use external software. Or watch the commercials and support your local businesses :)

• 3 months later...