Recording File type

roberthleeii

roberthleeii

can you change the file type for recordings?

What is the best way and smallest way to save them?

I noticed a while back my files changed from mkv to ts files. It seems that the ts files are a little bigger but i may be totally wrong on that.

kanipek

I believe mpeg2 streams are recorded as .ts and mp4 streams are recorded as .mkv

To my knowledge you can't change that.

They are all recorded as .ts regardless of the codecs involved since they are transport streams.

kanipek

They are all recorded as .ts regardless of the codecs involved since they are transport streams.

Untrue. In my case all the mp4 channels are recorded as .mkv. The ,mp4 channels are all some flavor of HD - 720p/1080i, I don't know if that makes a difference in how they are recorded. This is also regular old digital cable, not any sort of IPTV.

Untrue. In my case all the mp4 channels are recorded as .mkv. The ,mp4 channels are all some flavor of HD - 720p/1080i, I don't know if that makes a difference in how they are recorded. This is also regular old digital cable, not any sort of IPTV.

Are you using a plugin such as NextPVR OR using an HDHomeRun Extend with transcoding OR doing Recording Post Processing or any type of

real-time conversion during recording?

I've got a combination of Quatro and Primes and everything always records as TS files.  I've got Comcast/Xfinity cable which has numerious H.264 channels and these always record as TS files with H.264 codecs in them on my system.

Edited by cayars

kanipek

Are you using a plugin such as NextPVR OR using an HDHomeRun Extend with transcoding OR doing Recording Post Processing or any type of

real-time conversion during recording?

I've got a combination of Quatro and Primes and everything always records as TS files.  I've got Comcast/Xfinity cable which has numerious H.264 channels and these always record as TS files with H.264 codecs in them on my system.

You're not crazy. I am.

I am to used to - What I end up with in the end, after editing. The files I get from a smart render output - only re-encoding the cut points - are .MKV.

So yes all the recordings, mpeg2, mp4(h.264/h.265) are in the .ts format.

I was wrong....you were right.... :rolleyes: Apologies to all who I tried to mislead.

No apologies needed.  We all get things incorrect at times.  Besides if anyone uses post processing they could easily get any file type they want.

Carlo