New FreeBSD package for testing

Luke

MRobi

Also having an issue with images. Appears they are trying to load from the original /var/db/emby-server/ folder rather than now /var/db/emby/ with this package.

I've changed my rc script for now to use the old location and they are loading fine once again!

I've yet to attempt this, but I wonder if the setting of saving the artwork into the media folders would negate this issue?

diogee

Yeah, it did help as media artwork itself for shows / movies etc was completely fine in my case no matter if I used /var/db/emby or /var/db/emby-server. It was just actor images which isn't saved to the media folders.

adrianwi

Whats the reason behind changing the path from /var/db/emby-server to /var/db/emby?

alucryd

The main reason was to be consistent with our linux packages, but seeing as it inconveniences everybody I'll revert back to /var/db/emby-server, the next beta will be back to the old directory by default.

• Like 1

The build in the first post has been updated to the new 3.5 release, and it includes the change that alucryd mentioned to revert the data directory back to 

/var/db/emby-server

For those who may have done a brand new clean install with earlier editions of this package, due to this change I would suggest starting fresh again. Thanks.

• Like 1

adrianwi

I've rebuilt a jail using the new 3.5 release instructions and mounted my emby dataset to /var/db/emby-server.

So far so good, although initial impression is that it's not really an improvement on my jail built using the ports method, although it's a lot quicker to create!

A standard way of doing this must be a good thing though :D

woodsb02

We're pleased to announce a brand new FreeBSD package for Emby Server. Here are the highlights and advantages over the current package:

Hi Luke,

I love it that you guys are working hard to ensure FreeBSD and FreeNAS support - thanks!

I am not sure what the plan is for this, compared to the package from FreeBSD ports. Would you like me to delete the FreeBSD port in favour of this model?

With open source software, my preferred distribution model is for the source code to be downloaded and compiled to provide a package in the OS distribution package repository. This ensures there is a traceable line between the code and the binaries being run.

Perhaps an alternative model would be for your team to take over maintaining the port in the FreeBSD tree? This way you can ensure it is always made to your liking and updated on a rapid basis? When you wanted changes, you would raise a bug (or phabricator review), and then I would commit it to the tree. Thoughts?

Regards,

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for reaching out. We'll take a look at it and decide between deleting vs taking it over ourselves. I think a lot will depend on how much work it will create for us. We're building for so many platforms now that anything we can't automate is inevitably going to fall behind.

Duffyx

I love what you guys are doing for FreeBSD, thank you so much for this!

Although, I would prefer the ports way as well :) I hope you can take it into consideration luke <3

Edited by driesmp

adrianwi

If the ports method is to stay, it really needs to be kept up to date.  It's currently at 3.3.1.0  :o

I'd prefer the package came through FreeBSD's infrastructure as well if possible. It would make it less likely for conflicts to occur, and mean that it would be easily integrated into users build systems such as poudriere.

It's great to see updates to the FreeBSD package though, and I appreciate the work that's been done to bring it up to par with other systems.

That might be realistic for stable releases but it's not going to happen for betas. It's just too much manual work.

Also the package is already using freebsd infrastructure because if look at it you can see all the dependencies such as mono, ffmpeg, sqlite, and many others. They're not built by us, we're just pulling in existing freebsd versions.

appoli

I'm having an interesting outcome from the aforementioned instructions...

I created a new jail in FreeNAS & ran the two lines of code to have all the pre-reqs installed and then the installation of Emby server.

Then I tell the jail to start Emby server & it says "emby_server starting". I tried accessing Emby, but since I had no luck I tried Emby-server status & the result I got was "Emby_server is not running"

Tried doing onestart and start and sysrc Emby_server_enable="YES" to no avail.

pretty weird no? any ideas?

Duffyx

Hello Luke,

Could you elaborate why there's a dependency on samba48?

What exactly uses emby of this pacakge?

Thanks

Hi @@Luke,

I have updated the FreeBSD port to 3.5.0.0 now, still compiling from source. I cannot update to the new 3.5.1.0 as it hasn't been tagged in the main emby GitHub repo: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases

Would you be able to apply this tag please?

Thanks,

Ben

I updated the version number in the pkg string and it worked for me:

pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/3.5.1.0/emby-server-freebsd_3.5.1.0_amd64.txz
Edited by dberg
  • Like 1

woodsb02

I updated the version number in the pkg string and it worked for me:

pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/3.5.1.0/emby-server-freebsd_3.5.1.0_amd64.txz

We are talking about 2 different subjects [emoji3]

I am referring to updating the FreeBSD port to be 3.5.1.0, not updating the version installed on my system.

• Like 1

appoli

Hi Luke,

Any ideas regarding my issue? I’m still on FreeNAS 11.1-u5, which is FreeNAS 11.0. Would that be the reason it’s not loading?

Since the FreeBSD port is on 3.5 (which has a lot of great updates, thank you for that) I’m considering just trying out the port & installing the vaapi port and seeing if hardware acceleration works that way (I would have tried it out before, but didn’t know that FreeNAS didn’t have the support plus the FreeBSD port needed to be restarted every 24hours for some reason). Thanks

Hi Luke,

Any ideas regarding my issue? I’m still on FreeNAS 11.1-u5, which is FreeNAS 11.0. Would that be the reason it’s not loading?

Since the FreeBSD port is on 3.5 (which has a lot of great updates, thank you for that) I’m considering just trying out the port & installing the vaapi port and seeing if hardware acceleration works that way (I would have tried it out before, but didn’t know that FreeNAS didn’t have the support plus the FreeBSD port needed to be restarted every 24hours for some reason). Thanks

Yes that is the reason. 11.1+ is needed. Thanks.

Hi Luke,

Isn't 11.1-u5 based on FreeBSD 11.1? freebsd-version says 11.1.

I'm running emby 3.5 from ports in a jail with no issues on 11.1-u5.

Hi @@Luke,

I have updated the FreeBSD port to 3.5.0.0 now, still compiling from source. I cannot update to the new 3.5.1.0 as it hasn't been tagged in the main emby GitHub repo: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases

Would you be able to apply this tag please?

Thanks,

Ben

@@woodsb02 Yes I will do this. We're going to be issuing a 3.5.2 release so that will be the next one tagged. Thanks.