Pia (VPN) and Emby

muli3

Angus Black

Why are you using a VPN if you're using cloudflare?

I am using vpn for torrenting. But I followed the sets in those links with the vpn disconnected and it still did not work.

Now after setting everything back to what is was before i cant connect remotely to my server. :(

I am trying to have my emby server have secure remote access with live tv (that doesnt time out becuase the vpn connection took too long), and a vpn connection for torrenting. what would be the best way to go about achieving this.

I've been using PIA for years with success, but do not leave it running 24 / 7.  None of these tips may be helpful, but I pass them along...

PIA does not like static IP's on the host (this was my issue).

Being a server, it really requires a fixed IP.  So I set up my server to DHCP, but went into my router and assigned my server MAC address a reserved IP in my DHCP pool.  Basically making the server get the same IP number every time (as good as a static IP number, but PIA sees it as a DHCP assigned number.

This resolved my PIA issue with PLEX.  Working on my emby server again, but for the few days I was up and running seemed to also work with emby.  

I also have my server reboot automatically, early in the morning, to clear its marbles.

Again helpful in your case, unknown, but sharing knowledge is what this forum is about!

Good luck! 

how do i go about doing this?

First things I'd say is stop torrenting.  LOL

But if you must, why do it on your server? You're just asking for issues if you don't setup routing or split tunnels properly.  If you don't properly understand how to do tunnels and routes this will be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Typically a good simple, reliable way to do this is to run your torrent program and VPN in a virtual machine.  This way the VPN only affect that one specific virtual machine.  You could use Hyper-V, VMWare or Oracle VM VirtualBox.  If you have CPU to spare on the Emby server machine then you could run the VM there.  This way VPN won't affect the Emby server.

• Like 2

skidmarks

I've moved on from trying to get PIA to work.  There are other vpn solutions that allow you to do what you are looking to do (tunneling certain traffic thru the vpn) without the hasle.  (See post #21 in this thread)

As @@cayars mentioned, the safest and easiest way is to run the vpn and associated traffic in a virtual machine.  That was my original solution to this problem.

I have some old hardware devices (pix box and sonic wall) that i want to configure, but just haven't felt like hurting my brain remembering all that!

Good luck with a solution that meets your needs!

Edited by skidmarks

PIA can be used as I've done it before.  You just have to setup the routing yourself at the OS level vs getting a helping hand from the app itself (which can make this a lot more simple).

Regardless, if you moved on to another VPN that makes this process easier then all the better as the objective is met!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
skidmarks

PIA Now supports split tunneling in version 1.5.1

5d9f65c0ed556_Capture.jpg

Verified that i can connect from my cell phone to the server while it is running PIA.  Also tested for IP leaks.  All looks good. 

Verify and test to confirm.  Its currently a beta addition.

Edited by skidmarks

Angus Black

I switched to SurfShark but am not running it on my Emby/Plex server.

SurfShark does allow you to select which programs you do not want using the VPN.