Convert Feature - Option for remux only

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

I looked through the thread and couldn't find this request specifically so I wanted to add it here so it's not forgotten as I know it has been mentioned in other areas of the forum in random locations.

It would be nice to be able to choose to perform a simple file remux to another container. Being able to choose what container would be needed as some of us would prefer MKV and some prefer MP4. 

My experience with using MCEBuddy shows me that doing a  simple remux only takes about 2-5 minutes on an hour long show and uses up the CPU for only a brief period. 

This could easily go along with the other feature requests that are already here for moving to a different folder and deleting the original file. 

This feature is an extremely awesome idea as it is now, but for me it's just too slow and I don't care about it being transcoded to h264 or whatever.

Thanks.

• Like 5

nyplayer

I looked through the thread and couldn't find this request specifically so I wanted to add it here so it's not forgotten as I know it has been mentioned in other areas of the forum in random locations.

It would be nice to be able to choose to perform a simple file remux to another container. Being able to choose what container would be needed as some of us would prefer MKV and some prefer MP4. 

My experience with using MCEBuddy shows me that doing a  simple remux only takes about 2-5 minutes on an hour long show and uses up the CPU for only a brief period. 

This could easily go along with the other feature requests that are already here for moving to a different folder and deleting the original file. 

This feature is an extremely awesome idea as it is now, but for me it's just too slow and I don't care about it being transcoded to h264 or whatever.

Thanks.

+1 … A simple remux to MKV should be easy to add.

This example will copy all streams including CC and all audio tracks.

This is my postprocessing script to convert to MKV and delete original.

TSTOMKV.bat

"%APPDATA%\Emby-Server\system\ffmpeg.exe" -i "%~f1" -c copy -map 0 "%~d1%~p1%~n1.mkv"

IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 DEL "%~f1"

EXIT

Edited by nyplayer
  • Like 1

jasonmcroy

Awesome! Thanks Luke. 

I think this could come in handy for the Linux users so they don't have to create their own script to run. 

b0dyr0ck2006

I’ve created a little bat file that runs a remix on all files, takes a minute or two to change the containers. Very similar to the code above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
EpsilonLiege

+1

This would be awesome as an option in convert. I’d get control of what converts, when and most importantly I’d get to keep my h.265 files that use up less space, rather than converting them to h.264 using the in built option. (My hard drives would also love a convert to h.265 option).

I know Polymorph converts the containers, but it doesn’t have settings, doubles the file space and I’d like to have control over settings around what it converts and when.

• 1 year later...

The convert feature will already remux if the source file media info already meets the target criteria of the conversion profile.

vdatanet

The convert feature will already remux if the source file media info already meets the target criteria of the conversion profile.

Yes, you are right. I thought the video was encoded instead of remuxed because HDR was lost. HDR was not lost, the problem was that Apple TV requires this tag -tag:v hvc1 for direct play. It would be interesting to add this tag if destination stream is HEVC.

Edited by vdatanet