HTTPS Connection to Emby Server 3.4.1.0 from Emby Android App

nightreap3r

nightreap3r

I played and tinkered with my Emby server quiet a bit this weekend.  I even spun up some new ones and tried CentOS 7.5 and Ubuntu 18.04.  I still can't resolve this issue that I now believe is client based.

Versions i'm running when the problem occurs:

Server Version:  3.4.1.0 (3.3.1.0 works fine)
OS Version:      CentOS 7.5 (yum updates most current)
Client Version:  Android 2.9.92 (According to Server Dashboard under Active Devices)
Install Type:    Via repo for original 3.3.1.0 version, rpm install for "updates" to repo versions and clean installs.

Issue:
Play back on Galaxy S8+ running latest OS update gives me a "Playback Error, there were no compatible streams" or something of the sort.  The server log gives HTTPS errors. I don't remember what thread it was, but I see someone having a similar issue.  They were told to wait for the next version of the Android app.  That was back in April, and the last version of the Android app is from mid-March.  In addition to the playback error, I constantly get "Do you want to accept the SSL certificate?" or something along those lines.  I've tried everything from signing out, to clearing cache, to reinstalling the app.  I've ended up just reverting back to 3.3.1.0 to make it work.  I'd like to be on 3.4 seeing as it comes with some nice new features, but not working on Android (or maybe just Samsung) is a bit of a deal breaker. Every mention of this issue I've noticed on the forms here have been with Samsung phones.  I'm don't know whether that has something to do with it or not. 

Just to make sure I'm clear, it does this whether or not the server is a clean install or an update from an older version.

Sorry if this post sounds rude at all, I don't mean it to be, I've just spent all my free time this weekend trying to make this work to find out the recommended solution is to wait.  I also wanted to post just to have another voice heard that this is an issue.

Edited by nightreap3r

Hi, yes this is an error in the android app, specific to samsung devices and we are looking at it for the next release of the app, thanks.

• Like 1

rpoitras

I've ended up just reverting back to 3.3.1.0 to make it work.

I just tried downgrading my Ubuntu install from the latest back to 3.3.1.0 and still can't connect from my Galaxy Note 5. Was this a fresh install? I'm wondering why it didn't work for me. Thanks.

Does the problem occur while initially connecting to your Emby Server, or when trying to play media? 

rpoitras

For me, only when trying to play media do I get the "No compatible streams..." error message. The app connects fine.

I saw your posts regarding waiting for the next Android app update and assumed the issue was with that, but when I read @@nightreap3r's post above I thought downgrading to 3.3.1.0 would fix it but it didn't. I'm running the latest again and patiently waiting for the app update.  :)

Right, if you have a Samsung, Lenovo, or Huwaeii then there is an issue with https in the android app that is specific to those manufacturers only. We are working on it for the next release of the app. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

We have a new app release that is slowly rolling out. Please try that once it comes to you. Thanks.