Which plugin should I use? EmbyCon or Emby for Kodi?

Haxy

Hi all,

I installed Emby server in replacement of Plex and I want to pair it with my kodi on raspberrypi.

Which plugin should I will use EmbyCon or Emby for Kodi?

What are differences, advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks

Edited by Haxy

xnappo

I would try them both, doesn't hurt.

Personally:

- Use Emby for Kodi if you have a very large movie collection and care about every minute detail of your metadata/images

- Use EmbyCon if you have a medium size movie collection, and use Emby for TV (very frequently adding/deleting content)

You can actually use both if you wanted to.

I would try them both, doesn't hurt.

Personally:

- Use Emby for Kodi if you have a very large movie collection and care about every minute detail of your metadata/images

- Use EmbyCon if you have a medium size movie collection, and use Emby for TV (very frequently adding/deleting content)

You can actually use both if you wanted to.

Thanks for reply, but what about differences? Why people are developing two separate plugins?

What is "Emby for TV"?

xnappo

There are two plugins because there are advantages to each methodology.  Choices are good.

Emby for Kodi synchronizes the Emby database with the Kodi database.  Once synced, it is just like the Kodi scraper was used.  The database is constantly synced while Kodi is running via messages from the server, and when Kodi starts it requests changes from the last sync.  There is a LOT of complexity here.

EmbyCon uses the Kodi addon system.  It is always in-sync with the server, because it does not replicate anything in a local database or cache (other than caching images).  It is a much simpler system/setup.

Again, my advice is to try them both.

Edited by xnappo

I will try both plugins.

On the other hand I can mount my samba share with movie files directly to Kodi without using Emby or other media server. 

Ehh so many choices... ;D

nyplayer

I use EMBYCON on devices with limited storage.... of course using EMBUARY.  :)  :)  :)

Edited by nyplayer

Yes choice is good, that is one reason EmbyCon exists.

EmbyCon is fast to set up, it is in the official Kodi repo so once you have Kodi set up it is literally just a few button clicks and you have EmbyCon set up and running.

It is also durable and robust due to it not having to sync the media from emby to Kodi db.

All this setup and durability does come at a small cost though, there is no such thing as a free lunch, due to the fact EmbyCon does not sync data to the local Kodi db a lot of the built in Kodi ways of managing your media on Kodi are not going to work. You will probably need to use a skin that lets you customise your system with custom menu items and widgets.

Do I need to open EmbyCon plugin everytime I want watch movie from my Emby server?

Is it possible to see all movies in Kodi Movies and TV shows libraries?

If you set up a skin that allows you to customise your main menus and home screen widgets then it will look and feel a lot like the local db source setup.

Thanks for reply.
Could you tell me skin examples that allow me to do that? I am not familiar with Kodi that good.
Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
M'Baku

Is EmbyCon only possible to use for local servers? I want to access a server a friend of mine has shared with me, is that possible?

Edited by kungaff