Multiple issues, might be related

Q-Droid
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Q-Droid

I'm running Emby on CentOS using the TVHclient plug-in. Live TV works, the guide populates with the right channels and shows, channel icons are correct and I can schedule recording for individual episodes.

The problems:

- I can't record series, it never comes up as an option from the guide, programs or search.

- Under Live TV Programs there are no "Shows" populated. "On Now", "Movies", "Sports", "News" have episodes. "For Kids" is also empty.

- None of the programs under Live TV have art/posters.

My guess is that a piece of data Emby needs is missing from the programming content. I just don't know what that might be.

Hi, when you use a live TV plugin such as tvh, then the tvh software is expected to provide this data and it sounds like this isn't happening.

What kind of tuner do you have?

Q-Droid

TVH has Schedules Direct EPG grabber configured and the guide content on the Emby server matches TVH.

Sample of one show in the guide, from the Emby server log:

2018-03-31 20:52:38.144 Info App: [TVHclient] GetEventsResponseHandler.handleResponse: add event

HTSMessage:
  <dump>
    eventId : 190157
    channelId : 922161085
    start : 1522720800
    stop : 1522724400
    title : The Crossing
    subtitle : Pilot
    description : Sheriff Jude Ellis and DHS agent Emma Ren team up to investigate 47 refugees who wash up in a small fishing village, claiming to be fleeing a war taking place 180 years in the future.
    episodeId : 190158
    episodeUri : ddprogid:///usr/local/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson/EP026965940001
    seasonNumber : 1
    episodeNumber : 1
    nextEventId : 190159
  </dump>

<ProgramInfo>
  Id:                    190157
  StartDate:             4/3/18 2:00:00 AM
  EndDate:               4/3/18 3:00:00 AM
  ChannelId:             922161085
  Name:                  The Crossing
  Overview:              Sheriff Jude Ellis and DHS agent Emma Ren team up to investigate 47 refugees who wash up in a small fishing village, claiming to be fleeing a war taking place 180 years in the future.
  EpisodeTitle:
  OriginalAirDate:
  OfficialRating:
  HasImage:              False
  ImageUrl:
  IsMovie:               False
  IsKids:                False
  IsLive:                False
  IsNews:                False
  IsSports:              False
  Genres:

Q-Droid

The TVH guide is a basic tabular layout without images, a parsed EPG. The only images in TVH are for the station icons, sourced from Schedules Direct. I thought show images and other metadata would be fetched by Emby from the TheTVDB.

Edited by Q-Droid

Q-Droid

Not being able to record series is a bigger deal to me than images. Any idea why that isn't working? Or why the "Shows" category is not populated under Live TV Programs?

In order for the record series button to show up, the guide data has to indicate that a program is part of a series. it sounds like the tvheadend plugin is not doing that.

While I'm not an expert on TvHeadEnd, I can see a few areas in the plugin where we might want to mark the program as a series:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Tvheadend/blob/81c413d92d0f6ee4f1363371a8bfdca147bc8fd2/TVHeadEnd/HTSP_Responses/GetEventsResponseHandler.cs#L101-L122

@@Gerrit507 can you comment? if any of those conditions are true we should probably set

pi.IsSeries = true;

Gerrit507

I've just pulled the guide from my tvh server in debug mode and it never enters those if clauses in my case. Apperantly my epg doesn't provide such info. I've only seen series or episode numbers written down in the description field and thats it. Allthough there are indeed ProgramInfo objects that have "Show" as genre and they are not listed at shows... But I also have shows that are listed as movies in the epg, like this one:

<ProgramInfo>
  Id:                    67671766
  StartDate:             04.04.2018 20:00:00
  EndDate:               04.04.2018 20:55:00
  ChannelId:             1460339098
  Name:                  The Walking Dead
  Overview:              8. Staffel, Folge 14: Während Rick (Andrew Lincoln) sich auf die Suche nach den Saviors macht, zieht Carol (Melissa McBride) mit Morgen (Lennie James) los um Henry zu finden. Gibt es für ihn noch Hoffnung? Die Untoten sind auf deren Weg nicht das Einzige, womit sie sich herumschlagen müssen... 55 Min.
USA 2017, mit Andrew Lincoln, Norman Reedus, Chandler Riggs.
Ab 16 Jahren
  EpisodeTitle:          
  OriginalAirDate:       
  OfficialRating:        
  HasImage:              False
  ImageUrl:              
  IsMovie:               True
  IsKids:                False
  IsLive:                False
  IsNews:                False
  IsSports:              False
  Genres:
  --> Drama
  --> Movie
  --> Soap
  --> Melodrama
  --> Folkloric

On my emby server shows isn't populated too but for kids is for example. So it dependends on what info your epg provides, which can also be false or unclear information, like in my example. It's just unclear if this is a show or movie...

The only "shows" that have the show genre in my epg are reality shows on one channel, like:

<ProgramInfo>
  Id:                    67629655
  StartDate:             06.04.2018 15:00:00
  EndDate:               06.04.2018 15:30:00
  ChannelId:             1478274960
  Name:                  Storage Wars - Die Geschäftemacher
  Overview:              Reality-Dokuserie. Bei der Auktion in West Covina, Kalifornien, gehen Jarrod und Brandi zurück zu den Grundlagen. Mary beginnt den Tag in einem Loch und hofft verzweifelt auf einen großen Gewinn. Ivy versucht, die Stimmung unter der heißen Sonne aufzuheitern, während Rene mit seinem Geld und seiner Einstellung die Stimmung eher aufheizt.
  EpisodeTitle:          
  OriginalAirDate:       
  OfficialRating:        
  HasImage:              False
  ImageUrl:              
  IsMovie:               False
  IsKids:                False
  IsLive:                False
  IsNews:                False
  IsSports:              False
  Genres:
  --> Show
  --> Game Show

But this item is still not listed as show...

I've just checked the file and IsSeries = true is set nowhere, is it even logically possible that something is listed as series/show then?

Also keep in mind: If you set IsSeries beforehand and the item has a contentType it could be added to 2 groups, like Series and Movies, at the same time.

Edited by Gerrit507

Q-Droid

I see where the <dump> section has information that would indicate a series:

episodeId : 190158
    episodeUri : ddprogid:///usr/local/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson/EP026965940001
    seasonNumber : 1
    episodeNumber : 1
    nextEventId : 190159

EDIT: Nevermind. I see the plug-in relies on TVH content type which itself does not have a "series" category.
Edited by Q-Droid

• Solution

Just did a quick google, looks like TVHeadend has an m3u output feature, is that true?

https://tvheadend.org/boards/5/topics/21366

If yes, then this could allow you to uninstall the plugin and then add TVHeadend channels via m3u. Then from there you can setup a guide data provider inside Emby such as Schedules direct.

• Like 1

Q-Droid

Just did a quick google, looks like TVHeadend has an m3u output feature, is that true?

If yes, then this could allow you to uninstall the plugin and then add TVHeadend channels via m3u. Then from there you can setup a guide data provider inside Emby such as Schedules direct.

WOW! You have saved the day! The m3u playlist approach is much better for me than the TVH plug-in. My channels are OTA and static. Even if there were changes or additions most of the work would be on the TVH side to add the services. Refreshing the m3u file in Emby is a simple click on "Save". The channel numbers don't show in the guide even though the data is in the SD feed. But this is very minor compared to where I was before.

I had a little work to do in TVH because I had renamed the channels for ease of use and mapped them manually to the SD EPG. The m3u dump had my names instead of the station name in SD and the Emby guide wouldn't match. Cleaning up TVH to use the same SD provided station name fixed the guide and show info in Emby. Time to test this puppy. I was so close to going back to Plex.

Thanks Luke!

• 2 weeks later...
diogosena

WOW! You have saved the day! The m3u playlist approach is much better for me than the TVH plug-in. My channels are OTA and static. Even if there were changes or additions most of the work would be on the TVH side to add the services. Refreshing the m3u file in Emby is a simple click on "Save". The channel numbers don't show in the guide even though the data is in the SD feed. But this is very minor compared to where I was before.

I had a little work to do in TVH because I had renamed the channels for ease of use and mapped them manually to the SD EPG. The m3u dump had my names instead of the station name in SD and the Emby guide wouldn't match. Cleaning up TVH to use the same SD provided station name fixed the guide and show info in Emby. Time to test this puppy. I was so close to going back to Plex.

Thanks Luke!

I dont use livetv from emby, but i'm using tvheadend for years, if you configured tvheadend with guide, you can use that way:

m3u playlist:

ip:9981/playlist

epg file:

ip:9981/xmltv

Edited by diogosena

Q-Droid

I dont use livetv from emby, but i'm using tvheadend for years, if you configured tvheadend with guide, you can use that way:

m3u playlist:

ip:9981/playlist

epg file:

ip:9981/xmltv

That's what I'm doing for the m3u tuner setup but combined with Schedules Direct guide provider in Emby instead. The EPG file feed from TVH is missing a lot of the metadata delivered by the SD grabber (tv_grab_zz_sdjson). But since I already had the SD source working in TVH I'm using the same subscription directly in Emby which can in turn fetch all related metadata.

So far so good though the channel numbers are not loading from SD, which is minor...<nudge><nudge>

Q-Droid

The m3u has name but not number though I can try to force it somehow, not sure yet. I assumed again that since SD has the channel info then the guide setup in Emby could pull it. I know what the XMLTV feed looks like for TVH but not Emby. Below are examples of a matching channel. As I mentioned before it would be a nice option to have but not a real problem.

From tvheadend.m3u:

#EXTINF:-1 logo="https://s3.amazonaws.com/schedulesdirect/assets/stationLogos/s28708_h3_aa.png"tvg-id="bd0ff73658922c616a07c4ad0abdcd49",WTVDDT (WTVD-DT)

From Schedules Direct XMLTV (tv_grab_zz_sdjson):

<channel id="I21103.json.schedulesdirect.org">
    <display-name>WTVDDT (WTVD-DT)</display-name>
    <display-name>WTVDDT</display-name>
    <display-name>11_1</display-name>
  </channel>
Edited by Q-Droid