"Smarter" Live TV listings

rvschuilenburg

rvschuilenburg

Hey,

I'm a recent switcher from Plex to Emby. The main reason for me was the support for the Live TV and DVR. This is just not reliable in Plex. In that regard Emby is miles ahead. Well done!

One thing i did like in Plex though, was the different lists it has for live tv. Such as "Upcoming movies" (this is not a list of just movies airing soon, but movies with good ratings that could be worth watching/recording), or "Recommended for you" with a list of tv series or movies that could be interesting based on what i already have in my collection. It also has a section "New episodes tonight", showing tv shows that have new episodes upcoming.

I'm not asking you to just copy what plex has, but if you have access to a lot of TV channels, it can be bothersome to find things that could be of interest. These suggestions could help with that.

One requirement would probably be to have Schedules Direct linked to your TV, so all meta data is available to generate a list like this.

• Like 4

Emby has pretty much the same thing.

Go into Live TV then you'll see "Programs".  Click on that.

Now scroll down the list and you'll see basically the same information on one screen that Plex had on multiple screens.

You can then click on the header such as "Movies" to get a screen of just movies.

So the same functionality is there in Emby just presented a bit differently.

Carlo

PS, Emby is miles better in DVR/Live TV over Plex except for one thing.  There is no conflict resolution (yet) in Emby.  No warning if you have more events set to record then tuners.  But other than that it's better across the board.

Carlo

rvschuilenburg

Hey Carlo,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. However, I have to disagree with you on that. I’m aware of those screens to see “just sports” or “just movies”. But what I’m looking for is not just a list ordered by air time. I’m looking of a list with suggestions based on my viewing history, for example. Just a general recommendation on what to watch, instead of a list.

Suggestions based on viewing history is a good idea for the future. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
mike3821

Only issue this is available in the web and not the android client for instance. I only see what’s on right now versus upcoming.

3 hours ago, mike3821 said:

Only issue this is available in the web and not the android client for instance. I only see what’s on right now versus upcoming.

Hi, what section exactly is in the web app but not Android?

mike3821
23 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, what section exactly is in the web app but not Android?

Under live tv / programs

There is no options to see upcoming movies and tv shows over the course of whatever the guide data has. 14-20 days…

7 hours ago, mike3821 said:

Under live tv / programs

There is no options to see upcoming movies and tv shows over the course of whatever the guide data has. 14-20 days…

And you're saying that's different between the two apps? What Emby android app version?

On 8/23/2022 at 9:42 PM, mike3821 said:

I am saying in at least the Android app you can’t see upcoming shows or movies 

What version number of the android app?

mike3821
1 minute ago, Luke said:

What version number of the android app?

2.0.79g

I can't remember any versions of Android ever having this feature.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
mike3821

To highlight on this again, it would be so nice to have a section that shows new tv show/episodes this week.

It helps find new tv shows and seasons when discovering new content to record.

Channels DVR is a good example of this.

• Thanks 1