Codec Intros Questions

GhostRider

GhostRider

A few questions please on Cinema Mode Codec Intros

1) How do you use the new Codec folders? Do you create a folder named, for example, AC3 and have multiple intros in one folder and one intro is played at random?

2) My DTS-HD MA movies do not pick up an intro file named "dts-hd ma.mkv", it plays the DTS intro instead

3) When using the internal player can you turn off the OSD just for the Codec intros?

Guest asrequested

Just create a folder, with codec sub-folders, put your intros in the corresponding folders, label them correctly, and point the server at the parent folder. It sounds like you need to rename them. Here's where it was requested.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/55000-cinema-mode-suggestion/?p=534915

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Luke, just confirming that this is correct for the codec intros directory? It isn't working, for me. I don't know why. I haven't used it in a while. If I put them back in the parent folder, they play. I thought I had this working

5a977582b27ba_Snapshot_471.jpg

In the server, it isn't mentioning sub-folders. Was it not added to this release?

5a97766733cc5_Snapshot_472.jpg

Guest asrequested

@ can you try it with aac and see how that compares? thanks.

aac works. Is it a naming issue?

Guest asrequested

Weird! Now they work. The only thing I changed was turning off trailers, because they aren't playing, most of the time. I get the spinning circle and gets stuck. But I did play through trailers, earlier and then it got stuck on the codec video. So maybe it has to do with the trailers?

Guest asrequested

I can get AAC, DTS, AC3 and EAC3 to work, but not DTS-HD MA or TrueHD

Edited by Doofus

GhostRider

I can not get DTS-HD MA to work in a sub folder or in the parent Codec folder. It did not work before the new Emby server release either. It just plays the DTS Codec intro - is this due to the "-" in DTS-HD MA?

@, I see a poster in your Codec folders, does this get displayed at the start just before playing the Codec Intro? If so is there a good web site to find such Codec art work?

Guest asrequested

I only have a poster because I also set it up as a library, so I can test that they play, correctly.

In the parent folder you need to name it dts-hd ma.

Edited by Doofus

GhostRider

I have a Codec intro called  "dts-hd ma.mkv" but it is never used. All my movies with dts-hd ma as the primary sound track just play "dts.mkv" Codec intro. Any ideas why dts-hd ma does not work please?

Guest asrequested

Mine used to work. That particular one, I didn't test in the parent folder, last night. It might be related to the folder not working. I tried different names, but the folder wouldn't work.

GhostRider

This is an example form my collection:

5a9842e28b03f_DTS.jpg

At my limit of audio knowledge: what is the difference between a Profile and a Codec? How can I get the Codec intro to pick the "dts-hd ma.mkv" Codec intro  :)

Guest asrequested

I wonder if thats the problem. The profile and codec aren't the same. The server may be going by codec and not the profile. What you see there is what ffprobe is returning. That might be why it isn't working.

GhostRider

I am not an expert but I believe DTS-HD MA is a track on top of DTS to add the parts removed and they are combined to create the lossless sound. Maybe somebody can confirm Is Emby able to play the DTS-HD MA audio or just the DTS Core track?

Guest asrequested

Yeah, the core codec is dts, and then there are dts profiles. So it looks like the server is using the core codec to match to, instead of the profile. Using the profile might also allow the ability to distinguish Atmos. But that is metadata, so I'm not sure ffprobe will see that. Emby Theater desktop can play everything, that's what I use as to test.

GhostRider

Not sure Emby Theatre can play DTS-HD MA. This is what I see for a movie with DTS-HD MA as the primary track when I select the audio version drop down:

5a9856a6cff61_DTS2.jpg

No DTS-HD MA!

Looks to me like Emby is only able to play the DTS Core track and not the lossless -HS MA version. @@Luke can you confirm if Emby can play DTS-HD MA please?

I get the DTS.mkv Codec Intro not DTS-HS MA intro in both Browser and Emby Theatre.

Edited by GhostRider

Not sure Emby Theatre can play DTS-HD MA. This is what I see for a movie with DTS-HD MA as the primary track when I select the audio version drop down:

5a9856a6cff61_DTS2.jpg

No DTS-HD MA!

Looks to me like Emby is only able to play the DTS Core track and not the lossless -HS MA version. @@Luke can you confirm if Emby can play DTS-HD MA please?

I get the DTS.mkv Codec Intro not DTS-HS MA intro in both Browser and Emby Theatre.

That is just the display and it is the same reason why the codec intro isn't being found.

The app will have to look at both codec and profile and then build an appropriate display string based on the two and also use that when looking for intros.

The Android TV and Roku apps should already be doing this.  Just needs to be put in Theater (and the server I guess for codec intro matching).

GhostRider

Thanks ebr, I was beginning to think something was wrong at my end. Is this in the known things to be done list or should I add it to the suggestions thread as a request?

Guest asrequested

That is just the display and it is the same reason why the codec intro isn't being found.

The app will have to look at both codec and profile and then build an appropriate display string based on the two and also use that when looking for intros.

The Android TV and Roku apps should already be doing this. Just needs to be put in Theater (and the server I guess for codec intro matching).

So the choice of intro is at the app level, not the server?

So the choice of intro is at the app level, not the server?

No, see my parenthetical statement at the end.

Guest asrequested

That's what I thought. I just got a little confused because you said it's working in other apps. If the error is at the server level, shouldn't it affect every app? Or were you referencing those apps in terms of the UI selection, only?

Edited by Doofus

Or were referencing those apps in terms of the UI selection, only?

Correct, I was just responding to the display issue.