Remote Live TV using global stream rate instead of user setting?

cybergrimes

cybergrimes

Hey there, noticed a user on my dashboard this morning streaming live tv at my global remote rate of 1.5 Mbps, this user has a server side setting of 3.0 Mbps. Am I incorrect in how this should work?

Thanks,

5a96bba641e14_emby.png

server.log

transcode.log

Hi.  The global rate will take priority there I believe.

By setting that rate, you said "don't let anyone go over this".

cybergrimes

Hi.  The global rate will take priority there I believe.

By setting that rate, you said "don't let anyone go over this".

Verbiage on the user setting page indicates the opposite?

"This will override the default global value set in server playback settings."

Yeah, I can see how that could be confusing but I'm pretty sure it will only override if it is less than the global one.

cybergrimes

Yeah, I can see how that could be confusing but I'm pretty sure it will only override if it is less than the global one.

Ok I have per user settings for everyone anyway so I'll just take out the global limit entirely. I had only put it in while initially inviting my users.

Thanks!

cybergrimes

I'm still seeing my user at 1.3 Mbps playback. Is there a line in the log that would indicate user set the limit on client?

Edited by cybergrimes

You can see the bitrate params in the url in the log.

Generally the final value is the lower of the user bitrate setting from the app as well as the server value.

cybergrimes

Quick revisit on this question, just trying to get a firm understanding-- so hard to ask certain users to change settings on the client ; )

I've got a user set at 4 Mbps but I'm seeing transcoding of a 2.6 Mbps movie; is the 'max bitrate: 2480620' on this 2nd line the user setting? If so what is that from, I've only seen 2 or 3 as options on the client

2018-03-07 10:11:35.918 Info App: RemoteClientBitrateLimit: 4000000, RemoteIp: , IsInLocalNetwork: False
2018-03-07 10:11:35.918 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectStream limit: media bitrate: 2647473, max bitrate: 2480620
2018-03-07 10:11:35.908 Info App: Profile: Roku SG, Path: D:\movies\Kingdom of Heaven (2005)\Kingdom of Heaven (2005) - Director's Cut.mkv, isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: False

Thanks!

Edited by cybergrimes

We'd have to look at the complete log of an example, but in that second log line, that's a determination based on looking at your server setting, and the user's setting.

Ok it appears you do have the server set to limit to 4 mbps outbound, but the client app also has it's limit set to 2.4 mbps, therefore the lower of those values is 2.4 so that's what you get. You may wish to tell that user to set their playback quality back to Auto unless they have a reason to change it.

cybergrimes

Hmm I can ask he check it but is 2.4 even an option for the Roku client? I thought it would be 2 or 3 like I see on all my clients

I don't have that list in front of me, but I just approximated at 2.4 by adding up values in the log.

cybergrimes

So I've got a user set at a 4Mbps rate limit but seeing a 1.6 Mbps transcode playing with a 720x404 resolution-- user checked settings and app is set at auto.

I had him change it to 4 Mbps and I'm seeing playback at around 3.8 Mbps, so this is good but it seems like it wouldn't actually use the auto setting vs server limit setting.

All of my remote users are Roku and I had set them all with rate limits before they ever watched anything, I feel like these numbers I'm seeing are the original rate limits I set, like it's stuck...

I can't prove that of course, it's just this 1.6 Mbps user was originally set at 2 Mbps and the 2.4 Mbps user was originally set at 3 Mbps.

Edited by cybergrimes

So I've got a user set at a 4Mbps rate limit but seeing a 1.6 Mbps transcode playing with a 720x404 resolution-- user checked settings and app is set at auto.

I had him change it to 4 Mbps and I'm seeing playback at around 3.8 Mbps, so this is good but it seems like it wouldn't actually use the auto setting vs server limit setting.

All of my remote users are Roku and I had set them all with rate limits before they ever watched anything, I feel like these numbers I'm seeing are the original rate limits I set, like it's stuck...

I can't prove that of course, it's just this 1.6 Mbps user was originally set at 2 Mbps and the 2.4 Mbps user was originally set at 3 Mbps.

Hi.  The Auto setting will test the current connection to the server and adjust accordingly.  The limits you set are always maximums.  If conditions won't allow them, then lower rates will be used (on auto).

cybergrimes

Hey there ebr. I feel like this is odd, it was consistently 1.6 Mbps for this user who's on a high rate cable ISP, every single time every day of the week. Never was a better connection available than 1.6 Mbps?

My other user who is hitting 2.4 Mbps lives 500 miles further away and with a slower internet connection. I realize this is anecdotal on my part but it's the inverse of expectation based on what I know about the users.

I've never had multiple remote users connected at the same time so it should be full upload available when this is happening...

Meanwhile I can set my phone at auto using 4G LTE connection only and it transcodes at 8.8 Mbps but with frequent pauses or some clipping in the audio.

The video isn't something I would watch with the pausing/clips, if I change the client setting to 5 or 6 Mbps it plays fine. Why does it think the 8.8 Mbps setting would work?

Sorry, not trying to be a PITA. I know this rate limit stuff is total crap to diagnose. I'm going to just have my users set the limit client side I think.

Edited by cybergrimes