FLAC Audio not playing via Web Client

RedBaron164
Go to solution Solved by simpman,

• 2 years later...
skobkin
On 3/8/2022 at 4:40 PM, Luke said:

keep in mind the issue is limited to Firefox

No it is not.

I can't play FLAC in Vivaldi too. It's based on Chromium unlike Firefox.

image.png.736dea45eb487892913599e811d012d7.png

2024-05-08 22:12:09.240 Info Server: http/1.1 POST http://host16/emby/Sessions/Capabilities/Full?X-Emby-Client=Emby Web&X-Emby-Device-Name=Chrome Windows&X-Emby-Device-Id=TW96aWxsYS81LjAgKFdpbmRvd3MgTlQgMTAuMDsgV2luNjQ7IHg2NCkgQXBwbGVXZWJLaXQvNTM3LjM2IChLSFRNTCwgbGlrZSBHZWNrbykgQ2hyb21lLzc0LjAuMzcyOS4xNzIgU2FmYXJpLzUzNy4zNiBWaXZhbGRpLzIuNS4xNTI1LjQ4fDE1NjA2OTk5NjQ4MzA1&X-Emby-Client-Version=4.8.6.0&X-Emby-Token=x_secret3_x&X-Emby-Language=en-us&reqformat=json. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/124.0.0.0 Safari/537.36
2024-05-08 22:12:09.240 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 204 to host17. Time: 0ms. POST http://host16/emby/Sessions/Capabilities/Full?X-Emby-Client=Emby Web&X-Emby-Device-Name=Chrome Windows&X-Emby-Device-Id=TW96aWxsYS81LjAgKFdpbmRvd3MgTlQgMTAuMDsgV2luNjQ7IHg2NCkgQXBwbGVXZWJLaXQvNTM3LjM2IChLSFRNTCwgbGlrZSBHZWNrbykgQ2hyb21lLzc0LjAuMzcyOS4xNzIgU2FmYXJpLzUzNy4zNiBWaXZhbGRpLzIuNS4xNTI1LjQ4fDE1NjA2OTk5NjQ4MzA1&X-Emby-Client-Version=4.8.6.0&X-Emby-Token=x_secret3_x&X-Emby-Language=en-us&reqformat=json

3 minutes ago, skobkin said:

No it is not.

image.png.736dea45eb487892913599e811d012d7.png

2024-05-08 22:12:09.240 Info Server: http/1.1 POST http://host16/emby/Sessions/Capabilities/Full?X-Emby-Client=Emby Web&X-Emby-Device-Name=Chrome Windows&X-Emby-Device-Id=TW96aWxsYS81LjAgKFdpbmRvd3MgTlQgMTAuMDsgV2luNjQ7IHg2NCkgQXBwbGVXZWJLaXQvNTM3LjM2IChLSFRNTCwgbGlrZSBHZWNrbykgQ2hyb21lLzc0LjAuMzcyOS4xNzIgU2FmYXJpLzUzNy4zNiBWaXZhbGRpLzIuNS4xNTI1LjQ4fDE1NjA2OTk5NjQ4MzA1&X-Emby-Client-Version=4.8.6.0&X-Emby-Token=x_secret3_x&X-Emby-Language=en-us&reqformat=json. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/124.0.0.0 Safari/537.36
2024-05-08 22:12:09.240 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 204 to host17. Time: 0ms. POST http://host16/emby/Sessions/Capabilities/Full?X-Emby-Client=Emby Web&X-Emby-Device-Name=Chrome Windows&X-Emby-Device-Id=TW96aWxsYS81LjAgKFdpbmRvd3MgTlQgMTAuMDsgV2luNjQ7IHg2NCkgQXBwbGVXZWJLaXQvNTM3LjM2IChLSFRNTCwgbGlrZSBHZWNrbykgQ2hyb21lLzc0LjAuMzcyOS4xNzIgU2FmYXJpLzUzNy4zNiBWaXZhbGRpLzIuNS4xNTI1LjQ4fDE1NjA2OTk5NjQ4MzA1&X-Emby-Client-Version=4.8.6.0&X-Emby-Token=x_secret3_x&X-Emby-Language=en-us&reqformat=json

Well the browser is reporting it as supported, otherwise the web app would have the server transcode it.

This means, the browser is either lying about that and it doesn't support flac at all, or the browser audio player is having some trouble with certain flac files. Which do you think it is?

chowbok

Honestly, there are so many legit issues that the Luke and the devs need to get around to, I'd hate to see them waste their time on a workaround for broken files. Just fix your FLACs, people.

• Confused 1

Another way to test outside of Emby is that in Chrome (on Windows), you can open a new browser tab and drag an audio file into the browser tab.

I don't know if vivaldi supports that, but that can help give you an idea of whether or not the browser can play that particular file.

skobkin
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, chowbok said:

I'd hate to see them waste their time on a workaround for broken files

Isnt't emby about on-the-fly FFMpeg conversion when client can't play the file?

Ok, one of my TV's can't play some of my video files. Let's consider them broken? Ah, so there wouldn't be a point in buying Emby at all? 🤔

4 minutes ago, Luke said:

I don't know if vivaldi supports that

It does not, but I can open a file:// URL in it. And it won't play that file, yes. I've tested that already. And before you asked, it will play some other FLAC files.

10 minutes ago, Luke said:

Which do you think it is?

It's the second option.

Edited by skobkin

2 minutes ago, skobkin said:

Isnt't emby about on-the-fly FFMpeg conversion when client can't play the file?

Yes, but this file looks like it should direct play, so that's why the web app tries to do that.

When the browser tries to direct play a video file and fails, the Emby app will automatically recover by switching to transcoding. We don't currently do this for audio though.

skobkin
1 minute ago, Luke said:

When the browser tries to direct play a video file and fails, the Emby app will automatically recover by switching to transcoding. We don't currently do this for audio though.

It'd solve a problem for us, as I see it.

I'm more of a back-end and do not know much about front-end. Is implementing such fallback for audio playback more complicated than with video?

chowbok
Posted (edited)

Again, why should Luke waste his time on this just because you can't be bothered to take 15 minutes to fix your files? It's really annoying that you expect Emby to fix a problem between your content and a third party's frontend.

Edited by chowbok

Happy2Play
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, skobkin said:

And if you drag and drop the file into Vivaldi does it plays as I just did without issue.  Along with direct playing in web client.

But really does sound like a defective file.

2024-05-08 15:48:44.337 Info App: User policy for Media. EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: True
2024-05-08 15:48:44.337 Debug SqliteItemRepository: GetitemById Audio 5960 E:\Media\Music - emby metadata\Blake Shelton\All About Tonight\01 Blake Shelton - All About Tonight.flac
2024-05-08 15:48:44.338 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 200 to ‌‍‍::1‌. Time: 2ms. HEAD http://‌‍‍localhost‌:8091/emby/Audio/5960/universal?UserId=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx494eb3b4c233bb38e&DeviceId=d655f3cf-939c-4a43-ad97-c189ce9bfa6a&MaxStreamingBitrate=160000000&Container=opus,mp3|mp3,mp2,mp3|mp2,aac|aac,m4a|aac,mp4|aac,flac,webma,webm,wav|PCM_S16LE,wav|PCM_S24LE,ogg&TranscodingContainer=aac&TranscodingProtocol=hls&AudioCodec=aac&api_key=‌xxxxxxxxxxxxxxaecfcac2e093c409‌&PlaySessionId=1715208345635&StartTimeTicks=0&EnableRedirection=true&EnableRemoteMedia=false
2024-05-08 15:48:44.344 Info Server: http/1.1 GET http://‌‍‍localhost‌:8091/emby/Audio/5960/universal?UserId=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx4eb3b4c233bb38e&DeviceId=d655f3cf-939c-4a43-ad97-c189ce9bfa6a&MaxStreamingBitrate=160000000&Container=opus,mp3|mp3,mp2,mp3|mp2,aac|aac,m4a|aac,mp4|aac,flac,webma,webm,wav|PCM_S16LE,wav|PCM_S24LE,ogg&TranscodingContainer=aac&TranscodingProtocol=hls&AudioCodec=aac&api_key=‌xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxdf3aecfcac2e093c409‌&PlaySessionId=1715208345635&StartTimeTicks=0&EnableRedirection=true&EnableRemoteMedia=false. Accept=*/*, Connection=keep-alive, Host=‌‍‍localhost:8091‌, User-Agent=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/124.0.0.0 Safari/537.36, Accept-Encoding=identity;q=1, *;q=0, Accept-Language=en-US,en;q=0.9, Range=bytes=0-, Referer=‌‍‍http://localhost:8091/web/index.html‌, sec-ch-ua="Chromium";v="124", "Google Chrome";v="124", "Not-A.Brand";v="99", sec-ch-ua-mobile=?0, sec-ch-ua-platform="Windows", Sec-Fetch-Site=same-origin, Sec-Fetch-Mode=cors, Sec-Fetch-Dest=audio
2024-05-08 15:48:44.344 Debug App: GetPostedPlaybackInfo request: {"Id":"5960","UserId":"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx4494eb3b4c233bb38e","MaxStreamingBitrate":160000000,"StartTimeTicks":0,"DeviceProfile":{"SupportedMediaTypes":"Audio,Photo,Video","MaxStreamingBitrate":8000000,"MusicStreamingTranscodingBitrate":256000,"DirectPlayProfiles":[{"Container":"opus","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"mp3","AudioCodec":"mp3","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"mp2","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"mp3","AudioCodec":"mp2","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"aac","AudioCodec":"aac","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"m4a","AudioCodec":"aac","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"mp4","AudioCodec":"aac","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"flac","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"webma","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"webm","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"wav","AudioCodec":"PCM_S16LE","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"wav","AudioCodec":"PCM_S24LE","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"ogg","Type":"Audio"}],"TranscodingProfiles":[{"Container":"aac","Type":"Audio","AudioCodec":"aac","Protocol":"hls","EstimateContentLength":false,"EnableMpegtsM2TsMode":false,"TranscodeSeekInfo":"Auto","CopyTimestamps":false,"Context":"Streaming","MinSegments":0,"SegmentLength":0,"BreakOnNonKeyFrames":false,"AllowInterlacedVideoStreamCopy":false,"MaxManifestSubtitles":0,"MaxWidth":0,"MaxHeight":0,"FillEmptySubtitleSegments":false}],"ContainerProfiles":[],"CodecProfiles":[],"ResponseProfiles":[],"SubtitleProfiles":[]},"EnableDirectPlay":true,"EnableDirectStream":true,"EnableTranscoding":true,"AllowInterlacedVideoStreamCopy":false,"AllowVideoStreamCopy":true,"AllowAudioStreamCopy":true,"IsPlayback":true,"AutoOpenLiveStream":false,"DirectPlayProtocols":["Http"]}
2024-05-08 15:48:44.344 Debug SqliteItemRepository: GetitemById Audio 5960 E:\Media\Music - emby metadata\Blake Shelton\All About Tonight\01 Blake Shelton - All About Tonight.flac
2024-05-08 15:48:44.345 Info App: User policy for Media. EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: True
2024-05-08 15:48:44.345 Info SessionManager: Adding playSession 1715208345635 to session 82c8e5e4bf625a1e77c9db36611c7aa1
2024-05-08 15:48:44.345 Debug SqliteItemRepository: GetitemById Audio 5960 E:\Media\Music - emby metadata\Blake Shelton\All About Tonight\01 Blake Shelton - All About Tonight.flac
2024-05-08 15:48:44.377 Info Server: http/1.1 POST http://‌‍‍localhost‌:8091/emby/Sessions/Playing?X-Emby-Client=Emby Web&X-Emby-Device-Name=Google Chrome Windows&X-Emby-Device-Id=d655f3cf-939c-4a43-ad97-c189ce9bfa6a&X-Emby-Client-Version=4.8.6.0&X-Emby-Token=‌xxxxxxxxxxxfcac2e093c409‌&X-Emby-Language=en-us&reqformat=json. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/124.0.0.0 Safari/537.36
2024-05-08 15:48:44.378 Debug SqliteItemRepository: GetitemById Audio 5960 E:\Media\Music - emby metadata\Blake Shelton\All About Tonight\01 Blake Shelton - All About Tonight.flac

Edited by Happy2Play

skobkin
Just now, chowbok said:

Again, why should Luke waste his time on this just because you can't be bothered to take 15 minutes to fix your files?

I don't know. Maybe because Emby does that with video? My files work everywhere except in browser. And there aren't only MY files. For example some of them are coming from an OST which is digitally distributed. If I "fix" them, their checksums won't match next time and they'll be downloaded again. Or I'd need to have two copies of them: one in the source directory and one somehow "fixed" for Emby.

Too much of a hustle to please a server which is intended to remove the weight from your shoulders. No offence to Luke. I'm just astonished with your logic.

I'd agree with you if it'd be not an intended functionality for video or if those files weren't working with FFMpeg for example. But not in this case.

We're not necessarily saying your files are defective. It could just be some aspect of them that that the browser audio player can't handle. 

1 hour ago, skobkin said:

It'd solve a problem for us, as I see it.

I'm more of a back-end and do not know much about front-end. Is implementing such fallback for audio playback more complicated than with video?

Yes, this is the ideal, it's just more complicated with audio than it is with video.  With video you play one at a time, and it's always in the foreground.  Audio is different. We create a play queue, give the whole list to an audio player, and let it manage it. Switching out the url of a track once it has an error is doable, but just more complex and so that's why it hasn't been done yet.

skobkin
Just now, Luke said:

We're not necessarily saying your files are defective. It could just be some aspect of them that that the browser audio player can't handle.

No problem with that. They may be even defective. We live in an imperfect world 🤷‍♂️

My main point was to just let you know that it's still a problem and it's not only in Firefox. I just got carried away with some "the problem is on your end, please go away" argumentation which has nothing to do with you.

So as I achieved my initial goal, I won't bother anymore unless there's more to say about the main subject.

2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Audio is different. We create a play queue, give the whole list to an audio player, and let it manage it. Switching out the url of a track once it has an error is doable, but just more complex and so that's why it hasn't been done yet.

I see. I hope it could be solved in the end. Thank you for an explanation.

Does it have the same error in Chrome?  That would make it easier to give it more priority considering browser market share.

skobkin
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Does it have the same error in Chrome?

I'll check it when I'll be on another machine where I have Chrome for testing and let you know.

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play

The catch 22 as you say it should recover and transcode and others will complain why is my media transcodings.

Does the files play if you drag and drop it in browser?

• Confused 1

pwhodges
8 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Does the files play if you drag and drop it in browser?

9 hours ago, skobkin said:

[Vivaldi] does not [drag and drop], but I can open a file:// URL in it. And it won't play that file, yes. I've tested that already. And before you asked, it will play some other FLAC files.

Paul

Happy2Play
8 hours ago, pwhodges said:
17 hours ago, skobkin said:

[Vivaldi] does not [drag and drop], but I can open a file:// URL in it. And it won't play that file, yes. I've tested that already. And before you asked, it will play some other FLAC files.

Paul

That is not true at all as that is how I tested before asking the question.  But if the file fails this method it means the files is defective or is a browser issue as Emby is just utilizing the player.

But in the end I don't see force transcoding to be the answer either.  But to each there own.

2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

That is not true at all as that is how I tested before asking the question.  But if the file fails this method it means the files is defective or is a browser issue as Emby is just utilizing the player.

But in the end I don't see force transcoding to be the answer either.  But to each there own.

It could vary per OS whether or not dragging a media file into an open tab to start playing is supported or not.

If it is supported but fails to play, then yes that proves what we've been saying throughout this.

• Like 1

Vicpa

Hi @Luke

I don't think you should ever transcode music for anything other than bit rate limits. For instance home network 1gb and most available wifi in my area 30mb-750mb. the OS housing the client supplies the necessary decode/playback codecs. Windows guy and windows has built-in support for all mainstream music audio formats, and most others.

So I am in the camp for any kind of music file try direct play first..

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Vicpa said:

Hi @Luke

I don't think you should ever transcode music for anything other than bit rate limits. For instance home network 1gb and most available wifi in my area 30mb-750mb. the OS housing the client supplies the necessary decode/playback codecs. Windows guy and windows has built-in support for all mainstream music audio formats, and most others.

So I am in the camp for any kind of music file try direct play first..

We still incorporate known supported formats. the browser certainly cannot direct play everything. And some of our apps do not use the system player.

Vicpa
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Luke said:

And some of our apps do not use the system player.

I am directing my comment at the Windows OS, primarily,

I am sure any EMBY apps that don't use the system player, is because the one/type they do use is better than the system player. It has equivalent functionality plus more whistle and bells.  Though some times the system player does all you need.

My use case dopped .flac file on windows edge and the file played correctly. 

Edited by Vicpa
  • Thanks 1

skobkin
Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 2:45 AM, Luke said:

Does it have the same error in Chrome?

Yes, it's the same.

image.png.bbac4798d002ff62fe64c4befc467d01.png

20 hours ago, Vicpa said:

I don't think you should ever transcode music for anything other than bit rate limits.

What if, for example, one of my TV's can't play OGG or Opus? I shouldn't listen for the music stored in free formats?

Edited by skobkin

17 minutes ago, skobkin said:

Yes, it's the same.

image.png.bbac4798d002ff62fe64c4befc467d01.png

What if, for example, one of my TV's can't play OGG or Opus? I shouldn't listen for the music stored in free formats?

Emby apps are aware of supported formats and will have the server transcode when needed.