Open media's folder

bigeyez

Hi

One thing that takes a while in Emby is actually trying goto the media folder of the currently playing media in Emby. I am not talking about using file explorer/manager type thing. This is within Emby.

I propose that there should be a way to go to the folder of the currently playing media. For instance, I start playing a video from Latest Video. Now, I want to go to the media folder of that playing video. That is a bit cumbersome, like looking in the info for the path, go back to the home and start recursing into the subfolders. This can be a single click instead like an option like "browse folder" in one of those media's options places.

thanks

• Like 4

Hi, yes it would be nice, but web apps don't have the ability to do that, so the best we could do is open the file browser on the server machine.

• Like 1

@@Luke

I am talking about opening the media's folder in Emby as a media browsing folder/window so that I can see the rest of the media there. Are talking about the same thing? I do not want to open a file browser at all.

Although opening an actual file browser would be nice as well.

Ok right I understand. But how do you go to the folder while video is playing? Isn't the video taking up the full screen?

Sure, this would not happen when it is playing. You know when you go back you have the media details window, you get the same window when click on an media. I think that place would be a nice place to put the option. Or it can be in the 3 dots menu on Android or selected media options.

Sure, this would not happen when it is playing. You know when you go back you have the media details window, you get the same window when click on an media. I think that place would be a nice place to put the option. Or it can be in the 3 dots menu on Android or selected media options.

If you are already on the media detail screen, where are you trying to get to and why?

I am trying to go the "folder"  where the media in question resides so I can see the rest of the files/media in that folder.

Here is an example.

- You are on the home page

- You click  (not play) on one of the latest videos (it is part of multiple medias in the same folder) to open the details page or the one where there is "play", "resume" "delete" etc and some details about the media.

- You want to go the Empy page/folder where the rest of the medias that are in the same folder as the media you just clicked on

If you click on "info" on thaht page (in the 3 dots menu) or check the "path" in that page, you can see where the file is but it can take a bit of steps to get there and you need to click many times to get there if the media  is in many sub folders. This gets  distractive especially on a mobile device.

All those steps can be avoided if we had a menu item for "open media's folder'. One click and you are in the Emby page/folder of that media to see the rest of the medias in there.

If you are already on the media detail screen, where are you trying to get to and why?

Edited by bigeyez

I think that kind of navigation support makes sense, yes.

Keep in mind, if this is a series episode, you can always click on the title of the series or season.

ginjaninja

another place i miss 'going to media' is from the admin dashboard 'now playing'.

i see people playing something..and i think id like to find out more..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

another place i miss 'going to media' is from the admin dashboard 'now playing'.

i see people playing something..and i think id like to find out more..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yes that's a good idea, thanks.

• 4 years later...
PuffyToesToo

I should mention, my duplicate post (now closed) is for admin on desktops, and not while browsing Emby through TV/Phone etc. Thank you.