Tuner question

Raptor6L

Raptor6L

Hi all

I've currently got a dedicated server (Win10 Pro) and a dedicated media-centre pc (Win8.1 Pro w/-WMC).

I'm looking to combine the two machines into one but haven't yet figured out quite how I'm going to go about it.

The WMC machine has 2x PCI-E dual tuners and 1x PCI dual tuner.

As far as Emby goes, what are my options for using these tuners to watch and record live tv?

And how mature is the emby live tv app now? Is it comparable to WMC, or is there still a way to go?

Thanks

Chris

Raptor6L

G'day @@Luke

1x Avermedia A188 PCIe Pure DVBT

1x Hauppauge Nova-DT Dual DVBT

1x Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2205 DVBT

And apologies for tagging onto the end of another thread with a new question! I only just realized that I had done that when I saw your reply. 

Cheers

Chris

I just bought an antenna and a quad tuner Hauppauge card to use on my existing Plex server and found out the hard way that Plex's DVR sucks. I'd like to try out Emby. Is there any ETA on the next version of Emby that will add the Hauppauge support or do I need to return it for an HDHomeRun quad tuner? I'd rather not wait if it's going to be a ways out.

Thanks!!

arrbee99

Some not very knowledgeable non-developer thoughts - 

you might need to get Emby Premium for Live TV, $5pm, maybe try it out for a month to see how it goes. Might not be needed to try out in a web browser though.

The Beta version of Emby has Hauppauge support now, which you could try. Moving from stable to beta is not generally a problem, moving from beta back to stable is preferably avoided.

So you could try your existing (new) tuner with the beta or set up your tuner with a plug-in. You would get your tuner working with a separate app (say NextPVR) then add the NextPVR plug-in to Emby. Similar with Hauppauge - get your tuner working with Hauppauge WinTV app then use the built in Hauppauge setting in Emby (no plug for this though).

Or you could also return the stuff you bought for a Homerun for which Emby also has a built in feature / function.

Oh, and you'll probably need to subscribe to Schedules Direct unless you can get some kind of OTA guide or have an xml guide from somewhere.

Edited by arrbee99
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info! I'll give the beta version a shot and see how it goes. It seems like Emby is a better media platform overall compared to Plex anyway, so I will definitely try premium and see what the family thinks.

On a small side note, is there any possibility of Emby playing .ts MPEG2 without transcoding? I know Kodi can do it, but I was curious if Emby might be able to. My PC with the tuner is an AMD 8 core, but still gets beat up pretty heavily just doing 1 transcode stream.

Thanks!!

arrbee99

Think the mpeg2 thing depends on what you play it on (device and/or app). Was just playing a recording, which it says is .ts mpeg2 and it transcodes in Chrome but direct plays in Emby Theater. Thats a SD not HD recording if it matters.

EMBY apparently has a setting that will convert .ts streams into mkv's on the fly which might help (if your AMD doesn't object), but it doesn't work with plug-ins (and is presumably fine with the built-in Hauppauge feature), though never tried it.

Irrelevant but might be teeny weeny bit useful  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/54339-why-do-you-use-emby-over-plex/page-1&do=findComment&comment=525727

Edited by arrbee99

From what i have seen it depends mostly on what you play it on if it will direct play. 

My fire tv can direct play HD live tv ( mpeg2 .ts ) unless its interlaced. 

I would also support the opinion that emby is superior :) from what i understand plex does not yet support live tv, emby does :)

I have run into a couple bumps but i am a newb at this myself. I run emby on a rig that cost under 100$ to build and its the main source of tv for my household. I love the customizations in emby and being able to have it convert media.

SHSPVR

From what i have seen it depends mostly on what you play it on if it will direct play. 

My fire tv can direct play HD live tv ( mpeg2 .ts ) unless its interlaced. 

I would also support the opinion that emby is superior :) from what i understand plex does not yet support live tv, emby does :)

I have run into a couple bumps but i am a newb at this myself. I run emby on a rig that cost under 100$ to build and its the main source of tv for my household. I love the customizations in emby and being able to have it convert media.

All so true and it really disappoint that Plex didn't dose a much better job with it after making a big out of it. 

• 2 months later...
ShadowKindjal

Is there an updated list of supported tuners that I can reference? I'd like to buy a PCIE tuner but I don't know what's available for me to use with emby other than the hauppauge tuners listed above.

tdiguy

Is there an updated list of supported tuners that I can reference? I'd like to buy a PCIE tuner but I don't know what's available for me to use with emby other than the hauppauge tuners listed above.

I have not seen anything indicating other brands being officially supported as of yet so i would say Hauppauge would be the best bet right now. I would also say that it is best to check with your cable company. In my area comcast has cable locked down with everything being encrypted. I have not tried but i dont think i could even use a pcie tuner unless it supported a cable card. I use a hdhr prime myself and i have heard they are planning on releasing a 6 tuner version ( no idea when though ) 

SHSPVR

That pettey much it if go with build in EPG or could go with NextPVR plug-in then have some more option but Hauppauge is last major TV tuner manufacturer world wide be side SiliconDust

Edited by SHSPVR