Samsung Emby apps for Canada region?

FreeBSD_Lover

FreeBSD_Lover

Hi, I see there are a few discussion threads on how to 'hack' your Samsung TV to get the Emby app on it for those users who are outside UK and USA.  I can try that, but I'd prefer not.  Any idea as to when the app will be 'natively available' in the 'app store' for Canada region?

Thank again.

FreeBSD_Lover

I figured so much, but do you have any sense of a time-line / release date? 1Q2018? 4Q2018? 2020?  2218?  :P

I really want to try to get Emby 'fully replacing' my Plex set up in 2018, but I have no issue in waiting, rather than hacking my TVs.  No need to answer today either.  :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
supergeek

I figured so much, but do you have any sense of a time-line / release date? 1Q2018? 4Q2018? 2020?  2218?  :P

I really want to try to get Emby 'fully replacing' my Plex set up in 2018, but I have no issue in waiting, rather than hacking my TVs.  No need to answer today either.  :)

I am also interested in the timeline for this, sitting down here in NZ, though I have hacked my TV as I couldn't wait  B)

• 4 weeks later...
FreeBSD_Lover

Hi, we are working on worldwide release. Thanks!

Keep us posted please! Looking forward to this. When this is done and assuming it works great, is when I start buying (with real money) into Emby.

• 2 months later...
bls_fanatic

Hello,

Just bought a new Samsung TV and am also interested in having Emby in the Samsung Canada store.  Do you have any news regarding the timelime?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
adammcewen

We are still working on it, thanks.

Hi Luke, is there any update on this?  Any idea on a possible time frame when we could be expecting this to become available?

The samsung tv browser works for my step dad, but its a horrible experience compared to what my android tv app at home gives.

Love this server and software.  Thanks to you and the team for all the hard work making and improving it.

Best lifetime subscription i've ever bought.

We're still trying to get an update for 2017 devices pushed through. We need that to complete first before we can submit the app change request for worldwide release. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
FreeBSD_Lover

Patiently waiting, my 100% migration away from Plex hinges on this.  Keep up the good work. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Allan Cameron

Patiently waiting, my 100% migration away from Plex hinges on this.  Keep up the good work. :)

I am in Canada to. I have tried the TV app using the region switch and to be frank, its not that great compared to other emby clients.

You may be disappointed with the long wait once you do try it. I was. Just a friendly thought, but the new Roku client is WAY better in every way.

Don't let the TV client decide what your going to use as your server and client. If you don't like the TV app once you do try it, give the Roku client a try before going beck to plex, its awesome.

• 1 month later...
Spaniard

Hey Luke or any other admins.  I know you guys probably hate the constant requests for updates on statuses of project but I would like to know if there is an update on the worldwide option of Emby apps on TVs.  I am in Canada and have a Samsung tv so I would like to use a native Emby app on it.  I use the DLNA option for it and it works well.  The thing is I have been telling friends and family about Emby and getting them to connect to my server.  The only issue is that most of them are not very tech savvy and just want to use their TV.  I have been trying to set them up with options like using Emby on Kodi or even just using a laptop and connecting it to their TV with an HDMI cable.  Which some are doing but for some ridiculous reason they still think it is too much work and just want it on their TV.  I told them if they have a newer LG TV there is an app and a couple of them are using that and loving it.  So I am wondering if there is a timeline for when other TV's would have a native app to their system.

TLDR:
Loving Emby, telling friends and family to use it and have them connect to my server, everything other than a native TV app seems too difficult to them.  Wondering if there is an update on Emby tv apps for Canada, like Samsung.

Thanks again.

Hi, thanks for the feedback. We are still working on it. We have an active dialog with Samsung, but I can't offer an ETA at this time. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let u know Emby users based in the Netherlands and Belgium, can't wait to have it available too for f.e. the J series. Thanks for ur work and lets kick Plex, Emby for tha win!

• 2 weeks later...
FreeBSD_Lover

I am in Canada to. I have tried the TV app using the region switch and to be frank, its not that great compared to other emby clients.

You may be disappointed with the long wait once you do try it. I was. Just a friendly thought, but the new Roku client is WAY better in every way.

Don't let the TV client decide what your going to use as your server and client. If you don't like the TV app once you do try it, give the Roku client a try before going beck to plex, its awesome.

I've used Roku. Yuck.

Keep us posted Luke, patiently waiting.  DLNA is a decent workaround.

• 2 months later...
FreeBSD_Lover

I seem to recall a comment that another brand of smart TV will run the Emby app, perfectly fine, in Canada.  Instead of me waiting, I just might try another brand.  So my question is, and anyone can answer this; what other brands of TV, sold in Canada market, run the Emby app fine, and also do DLNA?

If none, then I will continue to wait for Emby on Samsung.  I got DLNA, but I really want to try abandoning Plex fully and completely.

adammcewen

I seem to recall a comment that another brand of smart TV will run the Emby app, perfectly fine, in Canada. Instead of me waiting, I just might try another brand. So my question is, and anyone can answer this; what other brands of TV, sold in Canada market, run the Emby app fine, and also do DLNA?

If none, then I will continue to wait for Emby on Samsung. I got DLNA, but I really want to try abandoning Plex fully and completely.

Android TV's have the Android TV version. I have that on my Sony right now and it works great.

I believe LG TV's have a client as well.

My daughter has a Roku tv, and the client works well there as well. Just be aware that the server will transcode pretty much everything sent to a Roku tv. Something to keep in mind if your server doesn't handle lots of transcoding well.

FreeBSD_Lover

As I have said before "Roku yuck".  I don't think any of their products even have a wired network port in them, for those of us that don't like WiFi (for various reasons.)  So Android TV is a TV or a 'system' for a TV?  I see there is a "Mi Box" that has Android TV, but yuck again - no wired port, and I see no mention of Emby.

If anyone can confirm that LG TVs sold in Canada have  Emby please let me know. Otherwise I will patiently wait for Canadian Samsung TV.

samuelqwe

As I have said before "Roku yuck".  I don't think any of their products even have a wired network port in them, for those of us that don't like WiFi (for various reasons.)  So Android TV is a TV or a 'system' for a TV?  I see there is a "Mi Box" that has Android TV, but yuck again - no wired port, and I see no mention of Emby.

The Roku Ultra does have a wired ethernet, though it's a 100mbps port, not Gigabit.

Also, the Mi Box does indeed support Emby, just like any other Android TV device, but then again no ethernet port on that one.

However, you'd probably be better off with a dedicated streaming device, rather than using the one on your smart TV, because dedicated devices are typically gonna be faster and support more formats. The Nvidia Shield (Android TV) seems to be the best Emby client at the moment.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
FreeBSD_Lover

I haven't been online in a while.  So Luke, before I go out and buy a Samsung Tizen TV or two, should I expect to see Emby client on the older Samsung TVs, or is that effort dead, maybe because Samsung itself is stopping developing on the older platforms, for example?

I haven't been online in a while.  So Luke, before I go out and buy a Samsung Tizen TV or two, should I expect to see Emby client on the older Samsung TVs, or is that effort dead, maybe because Samsung itself is stopping developing on the older platforms, for example?

By older, what year are we talking? Or what model number?

FrostByte

You do not want to try the official app on anything older than 2014, it does not look good :)