3.2.60.0 Service

LurchZA

Just to add. I would like to see the service return in a future update. I prefer not to use NSSM. Perhaps making it an "advanced" feature requiring a bit of configuration would cut down on the support requests. 

Managed to get it running as a service with NSSM, thanks.

Edited by LurchZA

Keldraxas

Can I also be added to the list of upset users on this.

You're developing software and can change anything you want at anytime, that's fine, but if you remove functionality then it needs to be mentioned somewhere (and to date, despite this long thread, it still doesn't mention anything in the release notes about the update breaking Emby as a windows service).

It should have a big red warning at the top "Notice: Emby as a native windows service is no longer supported and after installing the update a new service using 3rd party software NSSM is required [link]" if for no other reason than to stop everyone spending time trying to resolve an issue that was known before release, but only mentioned in apparent forum posts. Then eventually finding this post and coming on it to gripe. 

I spent (wasted) a good while investigating this, like many others on this thread, as we were convinced it must be us. Please don't let this happen again.

Also I'm with other people and don't understand why you can no longer develop this feature without a 3rd party, but I can get past that. What was a little irritating though was having to Google where Emby actually installs itself (as like many others on the forum I didn't guess there). You went to the trouble of making a page on what settings NSSM needs (and thanks for that, 2 minutes later I had Emby up and running again) but on the below page rather than saying:

Application path: path to EmbyServer.exe

Can you not put:

Application path: path to EmbyServer.exe (by default this is normally C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server)

Or something similar. You enforce a location for the install so it's a little mean you don't say where this is.

• Like 4

Scott Kemp

On more than one occasion Windows 10 updates throughout 2017 have impacted windows services and required developers to make changes. That's taken it's toll and gotten to the point where we'd rather be spending our time on media management and not troubleshooting windows services.

Another nuance with the previous windows service is permissions to media folders. We were constantly troubleshooting this because many users didn't understand that the windows service runs under a service account. Now with NSSM you choose all of these things up front and we haven't had to deal with that at all. I apologize for the change but in exchange for the five minutes required to set it up you're getting new levels of performance and stability within the server, partially due to the new platform that it's running on, and partially due to improvements we've been able to make thanks to having more developer time and decreased troubleshooting time.

In my professional opinion the service ennoblement process you should bring up some type of dialogue box and allow the user to run the service as that user (confirming userID/Password and add "property to allow the user to run as a service) and not as a limited system service would get rid of your complaint, I myself have installed Plex too and will most likely leave Emby if this attitude continues, developers always think they know what everyone wants... and after 25 years in IS and IT and working with the IBM Maximo J2EE application and a Sr. Engineer for 16 years I can tell you most developers do not know what the users want no matter how much they think they do, listen to your users, fix the NT Service, and make the option to run as the user who has installed it, after all you force install into the user profile directory anyway! I will not start my gripe on this mess since I started using Media Browser...

so now after installing this new .60.0 version I have to figure out why im getting this error:

Scan media library failed.
a minute ago
Exception of type 'SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException' was thrown.
error
Scan media library failed.
a minute ago
Exception of type 'SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException' was thrown.
error

maybe deleting the library db, what a mess.

-Update 1/5 - Deleting the library.db caused a full rebuild as expected, however the scan library never finished... after over 48 hours running it hangs! never scans TV folder on restarts. there is 7TB of Movies and 13TB of TV Series... These guys just do not make this stable with large libraries. you need to add the "OPTION" to have the library on MSSQL server like the free version or for other platform mysql or something! I am now looking to replace MB with something else... So much for my "Life Time" Membership! I should have never of upgraded to this Announced Stable Upgrade that was actuay some kind of beta build pushed out to production just before Christmas... The QA/QC is non existent in this application.

Additionally before anyone says that there isn't enough horsepower to run this large of a library or that I didn't provide Emby with enough resources the instance thet hosts the Emby server is running on a SMP complex of 4 server (IBM x3950 M2 all identical with 4 2.4GHz Xeon x 4 Core with 256GB RAM each on a DS4800 IBM SAN with 8GB FibreChannel Connection) that is in Windows Server 2012 R2 on IBM VMware Embedded 5.5 ESX Server. The VM has all 64 CPU Cores and 1TB of RAM.

5a4f6ae412b4b_taskmanager.png

Edited by Scott Kemp
  • Like 3

Happy2Play

Exactly to pis of users !  You cando that in a profesional environment wher one pay's for it, or to get payed to use it not whit Beta shit that not warns for changes.

How did Microsoft warn you when it removed Emby Service during its major updates?

• Like 1

cptlores

I would have though the whole "Premium membership" push should cover things like this. Premium goes both ways. Having become a commercial project with people working full time on it, means that users now expect commercial grade software in return. Dealing with the various ways that M$ decides to break compatibility now and then. is sadly a very normal part of making commercial Windows software.

• Like 2

stettler

How did Microsoft warn you when it removed Emby Service during its major updates?

I won't point out how stupid an answer that is to give to your users. Instead, I will just point out that Microsoft disabled some services during major OS upgrade because of compatibilty risk of problem or because they may interfer with the upgrade itself. For most such services I saw, re-enabling or registering again the service was enough. No reason it can't be the same with Emby. No reason that re-installing Emby or updating Emby doesn't register again the service.

Using a 3rd party appliction to turn a software that was not designed to run as a service into one is just a hack to be used when there is really no other choice. Yes, it "usualy" works but it often causes problems on itself.

The only good things with that latest update is that it fails to update automatically.

How, and by the way, since the last few updates Emby server has major memory leak and end-up using all available memory after a few weeks if not restarted regularly.

Edited by stettler

Happy2Play

I won't point out how stupid an answer that is to give to your users. Instead, I will just point out that Microsoft disabled some services during major OS upgrade because of compatibilty risk of problem or because they may interfer with the upgrade itself. For most such services I saw, re-enabling or registering again the service was enough. No reason it can't be the same with Emby. No reason that re-installing Emby or updating Emby doesn't register again the service.

Using a 3rd party appliction to turn a software that was not designed to run as a service into one is just a hack to be used when there is really no other choice. Yes, it "usualy" works but it often causes problems on itself.

The only good things with that latest update is that it fails to update automatically.

How, and by the way, since the last few updates Emby server has major memory leak and end-up using all available memory after a few weeks if not restarted regularly.

But using that 3rd party software prevents the users from blaming Emby for Microsofts problem.  In the end less troubleshooting here.  But everyone has to complain about something.

It has already ben explained about the latest update.  The update requires a reinstall from website do to change from framework to net core.

Well I have 3 servers running over 30 days that are only using 220MB of memory.  So that is obviously another topic.

stettler

But using that 3rd party software prevents the users from blaming Emby for Microsofts problem.  In the end less troubleshooting here.  But everyone has to complain about something.

It has already ben explained about the latest update.  The update requires a reinstall from website do to change from framework to net core.

Well I have 3 servers running over 30 days that are only using 220MB of memory.  So that is obviously another topic.

The problem with your 3rd party stuff is that a software made to be run as a service is not the same as using a wraper to run a software that wasn't designed to be used as a service. Yes, it may somehow works but it also causes all kind of issues. It's just a hack.

Sure, I know about the manual update. I wasn't sarcastic: I am very happy that it prevented me to do the update as I don't want to deal with this kind of stuff for now. I have a more or less stable setup and I don't want it to be messed-up by design changes that weren't announced before being pushed to users.

You don't have to believe me, I don't specialy care, but my Emby server is currently using 6.7GB of ram and it was restarted only a few days ago. And no, it isn't transcoding anything or runing any tasks right now. It started doing this 2 or 3 updates ago and there wasn't any change to the config of the server.

CBers

my Emby server is currently using 6.7GB of ram and it was restarted only a few days ago.

Are you still running the .net framework version or the newer .net core version?

stettler

Are you still running the .net framework version or the newer .net core version?

the old Framework version (3.2.36.0) (on a Windows Server 2016)

Edited by stettler

CBers

the old Framework version (3.2.36.0) (on a Windows Server 2016)

That's probably why you're seeing an increased memory usage.

If/when you update to the .net core version, you should see it running better.

stettler

That's probably why you're seeing an increased memory usage.

If/when you update to the .net core version, you should see it running better.

I checked, it started happening since around last July. Over a period of 10 days, the server goes from using a few hundred KB of RAM to 7GB. During that period, the increase is pretty constant (linear). I don't know if it would continue to increase after 7GB: the server start to be low on memory and Emby is restarted.

Happy2Play

I checked, it started happening since around last July. Over a period of 10 days, the server goes from using a few hundred KB of RAM to 7GB. During that period, the increase is pretty constant (linear). I don't know if it would continue to increase after 7GB: the server start to be low on memory and Emby is restarted.

And the new version has eliminated this issue for everyone that has reported a memory issue and reported back.  Staying on older release the user accept all that version limitations.

stettler

And the new version has eliminated this issue for everyone that has reported a memory issue and reported back.  Staying on older release the user accept all that version limitations.

What you really mean is "old version bugs against new version limitations", no? (remember this thread is about removing a feature without any warning)

I often feel that I am spending more time dealing with new versions "features" than watching movies. I guess I will stick with know old bugs for now. At least it's working.

• Like 1

but it also causes all kind of issues.

Once the OS is properly updated and the procedure for running using NSSM is completed, we are not aware of any issues running this way.

So, please do report these so we can investigate.

Thanks.

I believe the fact that our moving to the newer MS framework eliminated these memory issues points to the problems actually existing in the MS framework and, thus, have been solved in Emby by eliminating it.

GhostRider

I believe the fact that our moving to the newer MS framework eliminated these memory issues points to the problems actually existing in the MS framework and, thus, have been solved in Emby by eliminating it.

Hi ebr

I don't believe this is correct. I have the new .net core emby and memory size increases slowly when running. E.g. in two hours it went from 34.9MB to 44.7MB.

Hi ebr

I don't believe this is correct. I have the new .net core emby and memory size increases slowly when running. E.g. in two hours it went from 34.9MB to 44.7MB.

Those memory amounts are trivial (actually, even if you typoed them by a factor of 10) and the program does require memory to run.  What shouldn't happen is a runaway memory consumption situation as reported by some on the older framework.

GhostRider

Those memory amounts are trivial (actually, even if you typoed them by a factor of 10) and the program does require memory to run.  What shouldn't happen is a runaway memory consumption situation as reported by some on the older framework.

OK, but Emby was not doing anything, just in the background the memory size keeps on increasing, never goes down, just slowly up and up.

Happy2Play

Hi ebr

Anything under 300MB is considered normal.  As all my servers have resided between 200-300MB for over 30 days.

And you can not just look a numbers after/at startup.

OK, but Emby was not doing anything, just in the background the memory size keeps on increasing, never goes down, just slowly up and up.

@@GhostRider, this might not be a true statement. Nearly every feature comes with a price to pay. Do have the Dlna features enabled? (which they are by default). if yes then there will be activity to monitor your home network for available devices as well as publish dlna features to other devices on your network, and this is happening all the time. Do you use the real-time monitor feature for your Emby libraries? Well that comes with a cost too, even with there is no activity occurring. Do you have any plugins installed? they all come with a cost. 44.7 MB is, as ebr said, trivial. My suggestion is just enjoy your media.

GhostRider

@@GhostRider, this might not be a true statement. Nearly every feature comes with a price to pay. Do have the Dlna features enabled? (which they are by default). if yes then there will be activity to monitor your home network for available devices as well as publish dlna features to other devices on your network, and this is happening all the time. Do you use the real-time monitor feature for your Emby libraries? Well that comes with a cost too, even with there is no activity occurring. Do you have any plugins installed? they all come with a cost. 44.7 MB is, as ebr said, trivial. My suggestion is just enjoy your media.

I set up a Perfmon report and left it running overnight.

post-2099-0-74085000-1515315111_thumb.jpg

red is private bytes and green is CPU. The increase is minor so happy with that.

Unfortunately it is hard to enjoy the media to the full with the new .net core server:

1) Running this using a scheduled task at boot does not work fully. If you log on to the server and use the web interface the play button and trailer button are not visible.

2) Several of the key plugins I like do not work and have disappeared from the catalogue

3) Having to use some rudely named third party wrapper is not a professional approach.

Looks like work in progress and I would like Emby to rethink adding the service code back into the server. This must be well documented Windows template coding.

Edited by GhostRider