Good Deal IMO

arche

Went to my local best buy today to pick something up and saw a external 8TB WD EasyStore for $149.00. Bought one just to crack it open and see about adding it to my server. $149 for 8TB seems like a good deal to me. Opened it up and was kind of surprise at the drive inside with a 256MB Cache. Went back and bought two more. Took a picture of the drive inside.

5a37430e8aa2f_WD_8TB.jpg

Figured would give anyone a heads up if they were looking to buy a new drive. Seems worth it to me. Not sure on how long it is on sale, but here is the link on there site for the drive https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792401.p?skuId=5792401

• Like 1

mastrmind11

I only buy server grade drives.  Had a consumer grade drive die one too many times to feel comfortable with them anymore.  But thanks for the info none the less :)

mastrmind11

Was under the assumption that these are the red pro nas drives, but I could be wrong. 

You seem to be correct based on my googling around.  Have you tried installing it yet?  Some people have indicated that you have to disable the 3v pin in order to get the drive to spin up.

• Like 1

Unfortunately yes, I had to cut the orange wire to get it to work, but I bought a 15 pin sata power extension to cut and test. But after doing that, everything worked great. Transferred about 4TB to the drive thus far and working good and quiet. 

• Like 1

mgworek

Not all of these drives are REDS. There are thoughts on ways to tell by packaging but doesn't seem full proof.

Sounds like you didn't get a RED but you got one with the good cache. 

In the future, to power those ones on, you can tape up pin3 on the hard drive and it will work without cutting any wires. I have tape that covers pins 1-3. Took me a bit to get it working.

Not all of these drives are REDS. There are thoughts on ways to tell by packaging but doesn't seem full proof.

Sounds like you didn't get a RED but you got one with the good cache. 

In the future, to power those ones on, you can tape up pin3 on the hard drive and it will work without cutting any wires. I have tape that covers pins 1-3. Took me a bit to get it working.

I saw that people are saying different countries for different caches, and some have white vs red. WD won't confirm which is the true identity to these drives. I don't have as a elaborate setup as some on here, but for storage (at that price) and my small setup, works great for me.

I saw this option about pin 3, but because of my patience and $3 dollars for the power extension, said "Screw it, where are my wire cutters", lol...  

• Like 1

meanwhile, ebayers are buying these and shucking them and selling them as NAS Reds....

Let me know who those purchasers are, I have a bridge I can sell them...  :D  :)

All dependent on the model number.  "EMAZ" is just a Branded/WD Branded drive.

https://zedt.eu/tech/hardware/western-digital-wd-hard-drive-model-numbers-format/

lol, Happy2Play, you shot santa too I bet...  :D

Drive still works for my personal setup. But I like this model number definition, going to have to bookmark it.

Thanks

mastrmind11

the crazy shit is, you pick one (or many) up for $160 and sell them to dummies on ebay, you make what, a couple hundred after shipping and the ebay vig?  unless you're doing massive volume, which you aren't, seems more of a pita than it's worth.  but then again, i never understood that angle from the get go.

Edited by mastrmind11
  • Like 1

Wonder how many show up on Craigslist at that. For me personally, not worth the headache. Just a good deal for my personal server, if it had not been in front of my face at the store, I probably would have never purchased one.

• 5 months later...