Alexa not finding any players

fusrodah26

Try logging into the online web app using the same emby connect credentials that you setup alexa with. then compare what players show up in the app that you can remote control, to what alexa is making available.

Angelblue05

Alexa and the web app show no devices available. But on his android phone app, it shows his devices available. That's why I am stumped, Luke. Something about the android phone app makes devices show up, that don't show up any where else.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

I would think that's it, but he says it's the same Emby user.

@@mastrmind11

Can you confirm and also, are you connected via Emby connect on the android app as well?

Edited by Angelblue05

mastrmind11

I'll have to try this when I get home from work.  I tried just now via Chrome and the mobile app w/ and w/o Connect and no devices are shown.  I then connected via VPN to my home network via Chrome and the mobile app w/ and w/o Connect and no devices are shown...  though this may be because my VPN connection is on a different subnet than my Emby server and I'm not sure how Emby handles device detection on different subnets.  However, when I try app.emby.media, I can log on w/ Connect, choose my server, but it fails to connect (which I find strange due to multiple previous successful connections outlined above).

I'll post more info when I get home tonight.  Thanks

As long as you're logged in, Emby Connect won't care where you're logging in from, whether you're on a VPN or not.

The important thing is that Alexa is able to access the devices that the Emby Connect user is able to access.

mastrmind11

I turned on a shield and was able to see it in the play on device list, however, the name I gave to the shield in the ATV os is not what's displaying.  I assume I have to then name it (again) in the Emby interface in order for Alexa to figure it out?  Is there not an os level query for the name of a device to coincide w/ what it's already named at that level?  Seems a bit off if not, but I can certainly comply.  (If the latter, an update to the wiki would be helpful).  Lemme know.

PS, I still have not tried controlling the Shield when it was on.  I'll try to find a command that doesn't interrupt the current play state.

Angelblue05

The name that displays under the remote control is the name of the device.

But Alexa will find the device by either device name or client. So, for example, if I say play {title} on Kodi. I have 3 Kodi instances running, one Theater, one web client, Alexa will return all 3 Kodis with their name, so you can pick the right one if you don't know the name. The device name for Kodi is Living Room. If I say play {title} on Living Room, then it will find the device with that name, otherwise it will return to you the list of available players.

You can rename your devices in the server dashboard > devices. But for Kodi, you can rename within the app rather than doing it via the dashboard. I guess it depends on the app you are using.

Edited by Angelblue05

mastrmind11

The name that displays under the remote control is the name of the device.

But Alexa will find the device by either device name or client. So, for example, if I say play {title} on Kodi. I have 3 Kodi instances running, one Theater, one web client, Alexa will return all 3 Kodis with their name, so you can pick the right one if you don't know the name. The device name for Kodi is Living Room. If I say play {title} on Living Room, then it will find the device with that name, otherwise it will return to you the list of available players.

You can rename your devices in the server dashboard > devices. But for Kodi, you can rename within the app rather than doing it via the dashboard. I guess it depends on the app you are using.

Ok, so if I name one of my Shields "Living Room" at the OS level, will Alexa figure that out, or do I need to rename at the Emby device level too?  Im not running Kodi any longer.

Also, whats an Alexa command I can use that won't interrupt what's happening on the devices?  Is there an undocummented "list devices" command or something similar?  Thanks

Angelblue05

If your shield shows up as Living Room in the Emby dashboard > under active devices, then you don't need to change anything. Alexa is only aware of what your Emby server is aware of. If Emby sees it, Alexa will see it (she's using the server api).

No. Everything is documented as far as available commands. You could say change the player. Then say never mind to back out.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Alexa#commands

Edited by Angelblue05

mastrmind11

If your shield shows up as Living Room in the Emby dashboard > under active devices, then you don't need to change anything. Alexa is only aware of what your Emby server is aware of. If Emby sees it, Alexa will see it (she's using the server api).

No. Everything is documented as far as available commands. You could say change the player. Then say never mind to back out.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Alexa#commands

It shows up as whatever random id Emby picks.  @@Luke, there's no way to determine what a device is named at the OS level?  When I click the cast button in ahy other app, it reports the same Shield as "Living Room"... in Emby it reports as "NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV" regardless of what I've named it in the OS.  

I'll rename in Emby and play around.

edit:  Referring back to an earlier question, is the Emby skill context sensitive?  ie, I have a Sonos speaker also named "LIving Room", so if i say "Alexa tell Emby to do whatever on Living Room, is she smart enough to only select emby devices or will she get f'd up because of my Sonos w/ the same name?  Thanks

Edited by mastrmind11
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

So I am able to determine that the skill is working because I can ask Alexa who the current user is, which is me.  So I have 3 questions:

1) the one posted above (most importantly)

2) if I have multiple users in my house, do they all have to have connect enabled or are users/servers/devices/libraries determined by what Connect can ascertain from the admin connect account(s)?

3)  Is Alexa smart enough to determine if devices w/ the same name are tied to a particular skill?  ie, I have Sonos speakers everywhere, and for eg I have one named "Living Room" but also have a Shield in the living room that I've named "Living Room".  Is the modifier in the command enough for Alexa to know which device I'm referring to, (ie, because I said "tell Emby", Alexa knows to look at Connect devices) or do I have to rename everything to "Living Room {whatever device type}"?

Thanks

@@mastrmind11

New Sonos plugin in the Emby Plugin catalog:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/78020-new-sonos-plugin

• Like 1